TRIMMING Hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
I've done my own trimming many times, but never had any official training. So I don't have the confidence that I need to feel good about doing all my own trimming.

I use to have a barefoot natural trim farrier, but he was undependable, and didn't like to do small farms. I have no clue where he is today, but I heard he moved out of state.

The farrier I use now, I'm having some major concerns about, I'm never quiet happy with his work. The angles seem off and the toes long on some and to much heel or no heel on others. When the vet was here I had him take a quick look and he wasn't impressed either. I Know I could do just as good and probably better because I'll take the time and special care to do it right on my horses. I have had back surgery so this wouldn't be anything I would or could do as a business, so paying big $$ for schooling isn't a option. I would only be able to do 1 horse a day.

How can I learn and understand the proper angle the of the hoof?

I've always just made sure they look good to my eye, I think I'm doing as good as my farrier.

I mainly trim my QH which I'ved had for 30yrs. I know what his feet are suppose to look like and what works best for him.

But now with the mini herd I need to get a little more knowledge on the subject. Mainly because they all grow heels, My QH has never grown much heel, so I never take anything off his heels, but take the toes short and trim the toe kindda flat so he has a good break over (mustang roll, I've seen this called). The mustang roll really helps him on his front end. I've tried to show and even sent a webpage to my farrier showing him how I wanted my big guy trimmed and he still doesn't get it or doesn't want or care enough too. So I'm always breaking out the rasp again when he leaves - rasping is the hardest part for me, so I really feel I'm wasting $. I haven't found another farrier that will come do a small farm, they all want the big barns where they can make 1 stop and make big$$. They leave us litttle guys to fend for ourselves.

I'm searching for any tips and /or suggestions, websites, books, dvd's, ect.

My email is [email protected] If you'd like to email me rather than post here.

Thanks!

When you say you are doing as good a job as your blacksmith and you are not happy with him that doesn't sound good
default_biggrin.png
I would suggest finding a night school course at the community college or try to find a good farrier that will teach you as he trims your horses or let you tag along as he does others. I have written an article on my website that you might find interesting. Maple Mountain Miniatures Star News and you should also look for as many books as you can find on the subject.

Thanks for the link to your site!

It was extremely helpful, you did a great job.

I wish you were local.

I'll have to look for books.

Farriers aren't very common around here, and the ones that I have seen don't seem to put thier heart or head into their work, and they certainly wouldn't want to show me - they want my money. And on the same note they don't want to waste thier time to come to my place and do 2 horses. (2 horses here - 7 at the farm)

And as bad as it is They don't like to do the mini's, even if I supply them with a stool so its not so hard bending over. I've had a blacksmith say he wouldn't take anymore clients only to find out it was because they were mini's, he does and has taken new clients since.

Poor mini's get the short end of the stick - (no pun intended) :DOH!

http://www.freewebs.com/mmm202/education.htm

Check out Milo's site. Good info and great pictures.

If you'll buy a cheap pony size hoof gauge, you can check your angles.

Several of the vendors carry them now.

I just noticed Milo's already answered. Check out her site.

BTW. I don't use a stool. I use heavy knee pads and stay on the ground. It's a lot easier on my back when I've got 25 + to do in one day. Also easier on the horse. Remember, when you take a hind foot higher than the hock on the loaded leg - it not comfortable for the horse and they'll usually let you know that.

My motto as a farrier - elicit cooperation

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back