Tried and True Stuff that WORKS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toilet brushes for scrubbing water containers.

Baby shampoo to wash horses' faces.

Baby wipes to get dirt and grease off your hands at horse shows.

I also use Avons SOS for my horses, just dab a little around the eyes to keep the flys out!!! And some down the back, along mane and forlock.........sure helps keep pesky flys away.

Can you buy Avon online? (I know...I could look...)

We have no Avon lady or Avon man up here that I know of, and I sure wouldn't invite them into our house...

avon website

also go to ebay, I sure there are alot for sale there,at better prices too.

smile.gif

I have used spray or just dab it on with cotton ball or finger tip.
yes.gif

A Shop Vaccume!

Great for vaccuming off dust, dirt and grime.

Great to use before clipping.

Coat becomes soooooo soft and silky when done & great in the winter when you can't give a bath! Our horses really seem to like being vacumed & we get them used to the noise from very young!

GREAT THREAD!
aktion033.gif

Jen

Inexpensive tackle boxes from WalMart work so great as a blade holder. Great thread..keep the stuff coming! Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't leave out the milk pump made from a syringe. Cut off end of syringe [pointed end] pull plunger fom its original placement and insert into cut off end. When using, place the open end up against nipple and pull out plunger slowly. Presto you "have milk"...so much faster to milk a mare this way then just with your fingers. Mary

If you get Turpentine Venice in your 2' long hair (don't ask
no.gif
) Dawn dishsoap will not get it out...but Mother's Carnauba Car Wax WILL!

Thank you hubby!

Heidi

ps, Q had hay stuck in her mane this am from the hooves/walking-on-hay/sleeping-on-hay and the Carnauba worked a treat on her, too.

Cowboy Magic Detangler for bad mane/tail tangles and burrs. Slather it in and leave it a little while, tangles will comb out easily.

Jan

Bottle of alcohol based hand cleaner in the barn.

I can't see trying to groom horses with dirty brushes so when they get nasty, I use them to wash the horses. It cleans them right up.

To dry out my brushes I just toss them in a empty milk crate that I have hanging near my wash rack. They just drip out dry and WALLA!

Use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream for razoring horses (or shaving people) Works great with no irritation!

Several empty water or soda bottles with the bottoms cut out and cut edge covered with tape in various sizes to keep in foaling kit for use as emergency foal respirators (slip open end over muzzle snugly and breathe in neck end). Another water bottle with spout-type lid in vet supply box to use for flushing wounds.

I don't have the bottle in front of me as it is up at the barn. But there is this product for cats/dogs called LymeDip (comes in a concentrate probably pint that makes 4 gallons) my vet (equine only) carries it so has no harm on the horses and if you have any sort of fungus at all on your horses it will cut it in no time...........only thing is it is Very sulfur based and stinks to high heavens, the time I used it I I put sprayed it on and then rubbed it in with those Thick dishwashing gloves that they use in kitchens.

Dog mat cobs (the type with hooky razor bladed tines) for removing those huge grooming tangles in manes or for thinning/removing burrs.

Original Pine-Sol for rainrot. Dilute it JUST enough to turn it white, put it in a spray bottle and soak the scabs/hair around them only. They will dry and fall off within a week or so...my VET told me this and we have used it for years, no clipping, no baths.

Medicated foot powder for minor wounds & scraps. After cleaning the wound, dust the powder on heavily to absorb liquid and prevent flies/debris from entering the wound while wet.

Mix (only enough for 1 use) equal parts warm water, peroxide and betadine solution (scrub) to use to flush out minor wounds (using a syringe with no needle) or hoof abcesses. DO NOT CAP THE SYRINGE, it will explode...usually in your face
new_shocked.gif

Instead of saline or mineral oil based enemas, which can actually add dangerous levels or rapidly deplete vital liquids/minerals, use a CLEAN emptied child's enema bottle filled with warm water and add a drop or two of LIQUID Ivory soap as a foal enema.

Groomer's Edge/Double K clippers fit well in the round top metal toolboxes.

Hmmm...I know I'll think of more to add....

Add a little water to your feed bucket and stir, esp when you are feeding multiple horses together. Supplements stick to the feed, keeps vitamins/minerals from settling to the bottom and all going to one horse.

Jan

Dollar Store ICY HOT really works to bring down swelling, and losen up stiff muscles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back