Tried and True Remedy For Pure White Tails???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiegirl

Reaction score
Does someone have a tried and true remedy for gettin urine stains out of a pure white tail ?

My mare is a dirty little thing and her tail is always stained. I keep it braided up as short as possible and in a little tail bag. It still is a mess.

Hopefully someone has a solution that would not too caustic to the tail hair.

Thank you in advance.
default_saludando.gif

You might try using laundry soap, such as Cheer,Tide and rinse well. also use some Oxiy Clean, it will take out the dirt and stains unbelieveably! Rinse tail well. good luck! Lavonne

If you do a search for baking soda and vinegar, there was a discussion a few months back about whitening tails; and these were two ingredients used. I'm going to try it one of these days, I have too many with white tails and too many that pee on their tails.

We've had great luck using a product called, WOW! Sustained Action Whitener. It's gentle on the skin & doesn't damage or dry out the hair. Best we've found so far.

ive got a snow white horse that was out on grass for 6 months , his tail was black!!!

i thought i should have wrapped it ect, anyway , i used , vanish oxi action mixed into a paste with white wine vinegar, it foams up together like a paste consistancy,

please let me know how you get on.......good luck!!!!
default_wink.png

I always used "Jheri Redding Professional Prescription Silver Lustre Shampoo". It is a human shampoo that is sold at Sally Beauty Supply or probably any hair salon supply store that is open to the public would have it. It is designed for human grey hair to remove stains from hard water, chemicals, etc. It is AWESOME and works great. I used it on all my horses regardless of color, it will brighten any color but really works on white. Give a good wash and then let dry to really see the whiter brighter colors. Follow that up with a good spray down of Absorbine Show Sheen when wet and you are good to go.

We've had great luck using a product called, WOW! Sustained Action Whitener. It's gentle on the skin & doesn't damage or dry out the hair. Best we've found so far.
Thank you, I tried WOW and it didnt even touch the stain in the tail.

Mares, what a challenge lol

OXY CLEAN!!! The powdered stuff that in a plastic can sprinkle it over the tail and rub, it will lift any stain! Leave it on for about 2 mins. then rinse thoroughly, you can apply conditioner afterwards. I have a silver dapple and silvers generally have a yellow tint to their tails,.. well his is snow white!
default_yes.gif
Good Luck you've had great suggestions so far!

~Jessica

Last fall, I cut my mares tail off right where is stain started at the hock and braided it all winter long keeping it free dirt & pee. This spring it was even with the ground and pure white and thick. It looked like a new tail! So if you are not scared to give that a try this fall when show season is over, I would suggest that as I was shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
myself as her tail has never looked better as I tried for years to get it white and thick again! And now its way easier to keep white since I started all over with new growth!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I also use the oxyclean. But I put the tail in a large animal AI glove, put wet the tail, put in the oxyclean and some shampoo, and tape it up with electric tape just under the dock. Put enough water in it to wet the solution well. Mix through the glove and let set. Do not leave on any more than 5-6 minutes. Take the glove off and rinse well, and then condition. Clean as a whistle!

I am partial to those long white manes and tails. I use Silverado Silver shampoo, wouldn't was a horse of any color in anything else. Some of the stains do take a few washes but it never has let me down.

If you do a search for baking soda and vinegar, there was a discussion a few months back about whitening tails; and these were two ingredients used. I'm going to try it one of these days, I have too many with white tails and too many that pee on their tails.
Ok, I finally tried this today and it worked pretty good. It probably would have worked better if I had had a little bucket to put her tail in so the vinegar wouldn't just run through, but it did effervess (sp?) with the baking soda. My silver dapple mare that has a pretty flaxen tail, when its not stained with pee, was the guinea pig today; I washed with regular shampoo to get the poo and dirt out, then tried the baking soda and vinegar (rubbed a couple handfuls of baking soda into the lower part of her tail, then poured vinegar over it in small amounts, repeated once), then washed with shampoo again and then conditioned. Since her tail was dragging the ground, I did cut 4" off to keep it out of the dirt (and removing a little weight, helps her lift higher when she pees
default_rolleyes.gif
). Sorry no pics, but I"m happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back