Trees ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
My father-in-law has a few extra trees that he ordered and he has offered them to me to plant in my pasture -- however before I accept I want to make sure that they are safe for the horses. I have looked online and havent found really anything that says if they are bad or not. The two types of trees are Burr Oak and Pecan. I am planning to call my vet tomorrow and ask but thought I would see if anyone knew before I called
default_smile.png

Thanks for the help!!!

I don't think they are the only one I know of that is poisinus is cherry
default_wink.png

My father-in-law has a few extra trees that he ordered and he has offered them to me to plant in my pasture -- however before I accept I want to make sure that they are safe for the horses. I have looked online and havent found really anything that says if they are bad or not. The two types of trees are Burr Oak and Pecan. I am planning to call my vet tomorrow and ask but thought I would see if anyone knew before I called
default_smile.png

Thanks for the help!!!
Not sure about those trees, but any RED MAPLE tree leaves are poisonious
default_new_shocked.gif
Also cherry (black cherry, chokecherry, and fire cherry), peach and plum trees, Yew, Oleander, Black Walnut, Black Locust, Horse Chestnut, Buckeyes, oak trees, acorns and Russian olive, also known as oleaster. All these trees should NOT be in horse pastures!

Good Luck!

Jenny

A quick check of my favorite safe/unsafe plant sources suggests that pecan is okay. All oaks are a potential problem due to acorns and the tannins in the wood.

Of course, you will find that plant lists often disagree and there is always someone who's had a particular tree in their pasture for years with no problems. I would recommend checking with your local extension agent, tree nursery, and your vet.

My "Plants Poisonous to Livestock in the Western States" book put out by the Dept of Ag lists cattle may be poisoned by browsing on oak. It does not list horses or sheep as being at risk.

Pecan is not listed as harmful, and I know horses that have eaten pecan trees to a nub and were not bothered at all. My own horses have tried to strip the bark from my pecan tree. We had to put a barrier around it. Maybe you should not plant the oaks in your pasture. And if you plant the pecans, you will have to protect them from the horses.

Call your County Extention agent, maybe.

Just as I said...you will hear numerous opinions based upon anecdotal evidence.

My neighbor, who has owned numerous quarterhorses, swears that I needn't worry about tansy ragwort. She also scoffs at the idea that buttercups can be harmful (they are).

Keep in mind that some plants and trees are borderline, and that climate and other regional factors can affect toxicity.

Be safe and check in with your extension agent, even regarding the pecan tree. That's what they are there for, and you've already paid for them through your taxes.

I had a peach tree in the area that is now my stud pen. I had put a fence around the tree because it was young and short. Well, I don't have to worry about the peach tree any more... he ate it.

The oaktree itself is not harmful. We have 350 acres of oaktrees with our horses. They can become ill if they suddenly feel the need to gorge on the acorns that fall. They colic. Acorns are not poisonous, but too much of a good thing can be fatal. Most horses won't gorge on the acorns and out of a herd of over 50, none of ours have ever done this.

Ok - thanks for all the help....

I am waiting to hear back from my vet.....

BUT so far seems like the pecan is safe and the Burr Oak is up in the air... I cant find that it is BAD BUT I did read about the tannin in the acorns but the burr oak wont produce acorns for at LEAST 15 years according to the labels on the trees --

So I am going to wait and hear back from the vet.

Thanks!!!

We have pecan and oak both in our pastures......lots of them down here. The only problem I've had with pecans is with my silly dog trying to eat them and choking on the shells.
default_rolleyes.gif
Suppose a horse could do the same LOL. I have seen oak on the list of "don't haves" for reasons listed above (colic) but I've never known anyone to have a problem with them. Burr oaks are the ones with huge acorns aren't they?

Peach trees are on most toxic lists but we had a big peach tree overhanging our foaling pasture for years, and had to fight the mares off to pick peaches before they ate them. Those mares would stand under the tree waiting.....never had a problem with them, but that's not to say they couldn't tomorrow.

Jan

Latest posts

Back