Traveling to Nationals was too stressful

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your good wishes and messages. Unfortunately, my colt developed diarrhea last night so the vets are now thinking he may have a salmonella infection which has been causing the fever for the last five days. The diarrhea has also caused the protein level to drop off and if it goes any lower he will need a plasma transfusion. Only good sign is that he is still eating, drinking, and quite alert. Won't know anything more until they rerun bloodwork in the a.m. and the fecal test comes back on Tuesday.
default_sad.png
So sorry to hear about your little one. We also went to Nationals, took 4, came home with 3 sick ones. Temps ran 103 and over. The vet said they had picked up a virus, plus ulcers. They stopped eating, and one would actually lay down to try to eat her grass or hay. Even though we go to shows, I guess this one was more stressful for them. Not sure why yet, except that maybe they didn't rest like they are use to. I will be praying for your little one, I know how upset you must feel. Keep your chin up and keep us posted on the recovery.

Sounds like there was a virus at Nationals that the horses were catching.

Being stressed from travel adds to the chance that they catch it.

Hard to avoid it when there are so many horses together in the same place.

wanted to bump this up.. Has anyone heard anything on how he is doing

I'm worried that the lack of an update is a bad sign. I really, really hope I'm wrong
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back