Traveling to Nationals was too stressful

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendi leigh

Reaction score
My yearling was supposed to be showing tomorrow at Nationals, but instead he is in the Sapulpa Equine Hospital. We thought he had done well on the trip out from the east coast, but by Monday he was colicing. The vet tubed him, and by Tuesday gut sounds were good but he was still uncomfortable. Treating for ulcers. Tuesday evening the fever spiked to 105, treating as needed with banamine and giving fluids, fever has been up and down ever since. No other symptoms. Likely a viral infection that needs to run its course. He won't be up to traveling home this weekend with the other horses, so he's now in the hospital. If anybody has any experience with these vets, I'd appreciate your comments. Feel free to PM me. I'm worried about by little boy.
default_sad.png

Thanks,

Wendi

get well wishes from canada! hate it when any of my babies arent feeling well, hopeing for a quick recovery

My thoughts are with your little guy. Hoping for a full recovery.

So sorry, poor little chap and poor you. Praying for a speedy recovery.
default_yes.gif

So sorry your little guy has had this problem. Hope he recovers fully.

I know he is at the vet and they are the best people to deal wth the issue, but, just wanted to tell you what my vet suggested for a little guy that we had who was VERY uncomfortable.

The vet was an hour away from coming to help and suggested I give him a FULL dosage cup that comes in the flunixin (banamine powdered) container. (I usually give a 1/4 of the cup to my full size mini that has some pain).

The vet said the heavy dose would not hurt ONE TIME. He also said liquefy some powdered ginger (from the spice rack) and syringe it in his mouth.

By morning he was perfect. The vet said the ginger is an old remedy.

Thank you all for your good wishes and messages. Unfortunately, my colt developed diarrhea last night so the vets are now thinking he may have a salmonella infection which has been causing the fever for the last five days. The diarrhea has also caused the protein level to drop off and if it goes any lower he will need a plasma transfusion. Only good sign is that he is still eating, drinking, and quite alert. Won't know anything more until they rerun bloodwork in the a.m. and the fecal test comes back on Tuesday.
default_sad.png

Our 2 yr old filly, Exotica a couple years ago when unloaded at Nationals was ill. SAPULPA vet had her transported there, Salmonella later complications. Hepatitis.

Great vets. Almost $ 10,000 and four weeks later we brought her home. Fine ever since. Had health ins, which covered first $5000. Thinking of you, knowing what you are going through.

How is your baby doing.. Please give us an update thanks

Latest posts

Back