Traveling papers on horses for sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
I'm going to make a suggestion here. If you live in an area where it takes multiple days, even weeks to get a Coggins report then have that done at the time you put the horse up for sale. (We are assuming here that the horse is priced within the market, well advertised and likely to sell in a reasonable time frame)

It can pose a hardship on a buyer and even mean the loss of a sale for the seller if buyer has transport available but there is no Coggins on the horse. And if your vet has done the Coggins he should be able to run by quickly for the Health Paper.

In our location we can get a Coggins report overnight, but I still get a current Coggins done on any horse for sale at the time I put him/her on the market. (the exception to this is a very young unweaned foal. I will wait till close to weaning to get the Coggins done since the foal can't leave till weaned)

If you are sellling....be prepared! :eek:)

I suppose, but in my area, my vet charges $75 just to come out. I'd rather pay the $75 once than separate times. I fortunately don't have the vet out very often. Large farms in more rural areas with cheaper vets might have more luck with that.

Paying a rush coggins fee for overnight lab is occasionally the option for me, but most buyers set up transportation within the timeframe of a normal coggins to be pulled. Plus my buyer gets the full use of a coggins timeframe, and health cert in case shipping gets delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours has a turnaround of three days for Coggins, and we take them there. No farm call charge.
default_smile.png

Thank goodness I don't live in an area that it takes very long to get my coggins back, on-line. I USED to feel the same, but would usually lose money that way if a horse doesn't sell within a year. My vets call out fee is $60. she can pull the coggins and do a health cert the same visit, but I need access to a computer to download them both usually within a week, so that is what I've been doing. Coggins are $36 and health cert is $25 on top of the call out fee, so it's nice to be able to do more then one, but sometimes doesn't work out that way.

I have the brand inspector come out to inspect every horse I'm selling so all he needs to do is issue it. As far as coggins goes. I only pull it if the buyer is out of state. I feel like all of this can be done in a timely manner; however some people seem to overlook these things.

What is Coggins? I bought my 2 fillies, one is a dwarf from a breeder close to my home her in Va. They are 5 & 6 months old so maybe they did not need this?? I visited them weekly and they have been in good health since I first saw them at 10 days old. I'm new to minis so I am trying to learn everything I can. I had big horses growing up until my high school days, which was a long time ago!!! LOL

A Coggins test is required if they are shipped out of state.

They are not needed if the horse is moved within the same state.

It takes 7 days to get a coggins back here and my vet can pretty much at any time have the health papers wrote, as long as he has seen the horse recently (example. for the coggins). Our vet is about 8 miles away, and I normally try to save the farm call and just haul the pony to the vets office and he can come out int he parking lot and do what he needs to do. It works rather nicely, and I usually just charge a $10 gas fee for hauling the pony to the vet, which saves some money considering its $55 for a farm call.

Some states(Texas and others) require a coggins to sell, move a horse. It is also required if you are trail riding.

Just_Rena is correct and it is the same for many states. Most horse related activities where large numbers of horses congregate do require a Coggins test. Anyone buying a horse should ask to see a current (within 12 months) Coggins report before purchasing. Horses under 6 months still with the dam are usually not required to have a Coggins.

For anyone not familiar with the Coggins test.....It is a blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia, a disease spread by biting insects and for which there is no cure....hence the reason you want a horse to have proof of a negative test.

Back