Transport question, need answer ASAP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I have a buyer coming from CA. They own their own airplane so the foal will be flying to their new home.
unsure.gif

Do they still need a health certificate and coggins? They are crossing state lines but not "physically". The buyer is also a vet (not that that makes a difference) I don't have a problem getting them done, just need to know if they are needed.

Are they going to get stopped on the way home, no, but CA laws are quite strict on state to state anything so I would think yes.

I would ask the buyer as they have more than likely done this before.

My experience is that anytime a horse leaves a state it needs health papers and coggins.

Wow Shawna, that is SO cool! I'd have a coggins and health ready just to be on the safe side. Lucky mini!

I suspect you still need to get a coggins and health certificate done.....and I would want to have it done anyway, for both you and the buyer's piece of mind.

You might also want to make sure the horse is going to be contained in a safe box or crate for the ride. Obviously the situation is a little different since it will be a private plane, but your horse needs to be kept in a safe place. Should be interesting how they do it.

MA

You can pay extra, and have it done sooner. I had a coggins and test done today, by vets, and am getting the results tomarrow, so can ship that soon, but had to pay 3x the regualr price.

Miniv said:
I suspect you still need to get a coggins and health certificate done.....and I would want to have it done anyway, for both you and the buyer's piece of mind.
You might also want to make sure the horse is going to be contained in a safe box or crate for the ride.  Obviously the situation is a little different since it will be a private plane, but your horse needs to be kept in a safe place.  Should be interesting how they do it.

MA

445849[/snapback]

Ditto, I'd suggest a large, comfy floored kennel that is securely anchored, as all air cargo should be. Sudden weight shifts are NOT good for small planes.

Thanks all! I'll get them done just in case....... she is going to choose between 2 I have but at least the coggins will be good for a while.

Yes! I would get them done too. In fact you need to make sure something else is not needed just in case. Perhaps where they land the plane will require something? If not a private airport or runway on their place.

How exciting, yes something secure for traveling for sure. Small planes don't ride as smoothly as the bigger ones, unless they have a lear jet!

B

I'm not sure why kind of plane they have. I just know it is private! I talked to them this morning and it is on hold (due to weather in AZ) until this time next month so I have a little time.

Back