Transport and Shipping Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
Thought I would start this topic as I know I have questions and thought others might too!

I will start with shipping boots. Does anyone use them while shipping or hauling? In what circumstances do you use them? And what brand/type do you recommend?

THANKS!

I don't use wraps or boots for shipping. I've not had any problems in over 24 years of shipping minis.

I hardly travel with my horses and when I do, its less than a half hour. But I'm getting more serious into showing my mini and I plan to travel for barrel racing so I will probably have my horse wear pads with polo wraps. =)

Ive only ever hauled a few times in my lifetime, but when I did, I never used any shipping boots or wraps.

No, nothing on the legs, ever. Never needed it and I travel all over. They slip down and annoy the horse- we were forever fiddling with them on the BH's finally gave up!

Used them with big horses, needed them with one particular mare. In 18 years of hauling minis, I've never needed them even hauling several times a month.

Not with minis. They are smaller and easier on their legs. Plus, most mini stuff is not sized down appropriately and don't fit very well. It's best to leave your horse free of clothing while shipping if possible.

Used them on my big horse all the time but never on the minis. Minis are lighter in weight and don't wear shoes so are much less likely to hurt themselves in a trailer than a big horse.

We used to be in the mini horse transport business for many years and don't recommend shipping boots or wraps unless there's a horse with an injury. Usually the horse gets agitated with them and will try to kick them off. This can lead to them kicking the side of the trailer and possibly injuring themselves.....which is counter productive, don't you think? <smile>

Thank you all for your input! Now for my next question, When hauling do you allow the horses to be free or do you tie them? Do you Let more than one horse ride together or do you put dividers between them?

I almost always tie my horses. Right now they stand side by side without a divider, but would like to have dividers. The only horse I ever hauled free was my daughter's mustang that had a tying phobia.

That is a LOADED question.....A lot depends on the situation.

Big horses we tend to tie and use dividers. When dealing with minis that are two different sexes we either divide, tie, or both. When hauling professionally, we had "stall dividers, so we didn't need to tie which is what we preferred. But not a lot of folks have a set up like that. Unfortunately our wonderful hauling trailer is no more.... (We personally designed that trailer and would love to have a smaller version back again. )

If the horses riding together get along and are the same sex, I'd let them ride loose.

My next question is how often do you stop? Do you get the horses out when you stop? And for how long?

A lot depends on how long the trip is and whether the horse(s) are riding loose or tied. If the trip is 3 hours or less, no need to stop for them.

For longer trips, we stop about every 3 hours for fuel and/or meals. and give them an hour or more break. If they are not tied and are in a space where they can turn around in, we don't take them out of the trailer. If tied, then yes, we take them out and walk them around the truck and trailer. This is also when we add to their water buckets and give them more hay. Water buckets are tied high enough for them to reach, but not get their hooves caught. Loose horses get hay on the floor. Tied horses have a hay bag, NOT a hay net. For long rides we carry a hose with us. Truck stops almost always have a spiggett or faucet of some sort. We also keep a small horsey first aid kit in the truck....

I would be transporting 2 junior mares, a bred mare and a yearling colt. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back