Transitions from trot to walk to whoa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
In riding a shifting of the riders weight can set up a good transition. Does weight shifting play as big a role in driving?

No. It's very different--- imagine riding, but you have no legs.
smile.gif
All of those little cues you've used in riding are gone. I rely heavily on voice cues, and more on the reins when driving than when riding.

Magic said:
No.  It's very different--- imagine riding, but you have no legs.   
smile.gif
  All of those little cues you've used in riding are gone.  I rely heavily on voice cues, and more on the reins when driving than when riding.
433577[/snapback]

totally off topic but that is the main reason i dont enjoy driving. I was taught so heavily light hands and all about LEG AND SEAT and that was what i really enjoyed i dunno just doesnt feel right "for me" to be so heavy on the reins but of course what else do you have
wacko.gif

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
[

433577[/snapback]

totally off topic but that is the main reason i dont enjoy driving. I was taught so heavily light hands and all about LEG AND SEAT and that was what i really enjoyed i dunno just doesnt feel right "for me" to be so heavy on the reins but of course what else do you have
wacko.gif

433587[/snapback]

It isn't "heavy" on the reins tho-- I drive with a very gentle touch, and turning, for instance, is just a bend of a finger. I don't enjoy driving a "hard-mouthed" horse. So you still have light hands, but you have to do more with them than when you are riding-- complete communication. Also, IMO the voice cues take over for much of the leg cues. Yes it is very different, but once you drive enough to get used to it, it is WONDERFUL!
biggrin.gif

Lisa I'm making that transition, and probably training all wrong. But having a BALL! I've found that the training on the long line is REALLY important with a driving horse, because we have less physical aids. And it also maybe that I'm getting lazy in my old age, this is alot easier only using your arms, hands etc.

Back