Training with a Bit?? What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
My yearling colt is somewhat halter trained but not as I would like him to be. Due to an illness and eventual death of my father, I didn't have as much time to train as was needed. First of all, this beautiful guy is our pet...no show ambitions. For exercise and fun, we take our horses for walks. When I take him along with one of the mares, he is somewhat okay for awhile and then starts acting up. Trying to bite and rearing up on me. Last week I was by myself and took him out alone. We went about 20 yards and then he started attacking me! He bit me on the arm and bruised my whole forearm. Then he reared up and lunged at me, catching my knee.

So...after discussing this issue with an acquaintance who trains racehorses, she suggested training him with a bit in his mouth.

Do you think this is appropriate or is there other suggestions out there?

I also have a filly, same age, while though she doesn't rear and bite, she is stubborn and won't move. Would bit training help her as well?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Karen

I would never bit a horse this young but thats me
default_smile.png
I would go back to basic ground manners. Yearling colts will test you ALOT and you have to be firm and aware at all times and demand respect. If you need to use a stud chain under the chin. This makes corrections much firmer and will keep his attention. I would go all the way back to such basic things as haltering, whoa, walk, etc. Remember you have 3 seconds to correct him. My own feeling too is that every young horse should be trained to stand tied quietly and this in itself will correct alot of problems. Also make sure you are properly leading him

Discipline Discipline Discipline. It is a wonderful thing. So many people are afraid to use a bit of force with the smaller horses, but truly they do not know they are that small, and they learn behavior very very quickly. I would use a chain before I put a bit in his mouth, I don't understand your race trainer friends ideas on how that would help.

A bit is not a diciplinary tool..... What was his rationale suggesting that. A biting colt can be diciplined many ways.

I rap mine across the nose with my knuckles and say loudly NO! IF after a few times that doesnt work I use a chain over the nose for a while.

Lyn

i'll agree with the use of a chain over OR under but for heaven's sake, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! i have seen this method used by inexperienced "horse" people (i use that term very loosely) and the result can very easily be a broken jaw or facial bone.

not to open a can of worms and i'm not suggesting, by any means, that it would completely solve the problem but is gelding a possibility or is this a future breeding stallion?

Discipline will be much more effective than a bit in his mouth. I would perhaps use a chain, though with the Minis I truly have never found a chain to be necessary. The biting part--what I have found to be the most effective is to lie in wait for the horse to try to bite. I'll position my hand so that he runs into my knuckle--I don't slap or hit or punch at him, I just watch & when I see the bite coming I have my hand positioned in sort of a fist with one knuckle out--my hand never moves toward him--his muzzle runs into my knuckle. That is not the result he was aiming for and a couple times of that & the biting usually stops. As for the rearing up--I'd "shank" him (give a good hard, quick tug on the lead shank) as he starts to come off the ground--this will surprise him & put him off balance & he'll probably come down & even step back a step. I'd then back him up a few steps--mine learn that they do not come at me, and they certainly don't come at me on their hind legs!

As for your filly that hangs back & won't lead, there's simply no way that a bit would help you with her. Actually a bit would make her worse at hanging back. You'd do far better to lead her along a fence or arena wall, and carry a long stock whip that you can use to reach back & tap her rump to make her move forward. I say to do this along a wall or fence so that she cannot swing her rear end away from you--you will have her boxed in between the fence/wall and you & your whip, so when you tap her rump the only way she can go is forward. If you have someone to help you, you can lead her along the fence or wall & have the other person walk behind with the whip & they can tap her to encourage her to walk forward.

Hey...thank you all for your great advise. I will most certainly NOT go the bit way, but use your suggestions with the stud chain and re-visting the basic ground manners. I love this forum!!

Thank you all for your help and I'll give you an update in a few weeks!

Latest posts

Back