Training to stand still for 10 min.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

MY MINI WHOA'S!!!! I decided to start a new thread cause it's really a new subject. He whoa's perfectly, I hooked him up to his cart and he whoa'd and stood still for all of 3 min. He even went up to my husband as a header and stood but again for 3 min. How do you teach them to stand for 10 min for a cart class or for ever how long it is you have to stand up there and wait till the class is over with.

He did so, so on the backing. I CAN work on that. But, not sure on the standing still for the class.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Taylor Jo

TIE HIM. Since you want him to be used to standing with the cart, tie him with the cart on him. Just be sure you are there for the entire time. Start out with a few minutes and then lengthen the period gradually. But always be with him.

EEEKS I wouldn't tie him hooked to a cart. I was at a mini driving clinic with 30 spectators and a local driving trainer she tied a horse to the arena wall hooked to the cart as she was working on harnessing another horse and the tied horse spooked (she was standing right next to it) and flipped the cart over what a mess the whole audience just held our breath.

We had a hard time getting our cart horse to stand in a class, and we started leaving him tied with the harness on.....it helped a lot. Even without the cart hooked up to it. I have always heard not to leave a horse tied up with a cart attached.

I've seen a few horses get tangled up tie up with a cart on. I would never tie with a cart on.

First of all, it requires patience. Don't expect a horse to go standing from 3 to 10 minutes instantly. Just start asking him for 30 seconds longer, then praise him and go. Then a minute longer. Build up to it. Ask him for 4 minutes, then priase him and go on your way. Ask him again for 4 minutes, praise and go on your way. After he does this good, ask for longer and longer. It takes repetition and patience, but he'll eventually get it.

Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

Thanks all for your advice. That's kinda what I thought about building on it that there's no easy way. I have tied him up in his harness before but NEVER his his cart. I figured that would freak him out to much and to much could go wrong. Thanks for the advice anyway. I was "hoping" for an easier way but, I guess there is none.... I guess I have to out patient him. Thanks all :)[

quote name=Keri' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:13 PM' post='1003882]

I've seen a few horses get tangled up tie up with a cart on. I would never tie with a cart on.

First of all, it requires patience. Don't expect a horse to go standing from 3 to 10 minutes instantly. Just start asking him for 30 seconds longer, then praise him and go. Then a minute longer. Build up to it. Ask him for 4 minutes, then priase him and go on your way. Ask him again for 4 minutes, praise and go on your way. After he does this good, ask for longer and longer. It takes repetition and patience, but he'll eventually get it.

Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back