Training stallions colts, vs mares fillies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

I really hate to sound sexist BUT (LOL) i have found it so much easier to train colts and stallions then mares and fillies. Why is this?? I wonder if its just coicendence at my farm or do other people see this. Maybe ive just been blessed with really smart stallions. We have only had black for a few weeks. He was not halter broke and is only 5 months old. In two short lessons he was almost completely halter broke. Yesterday i spent about 15 mins training him to stand for halter and hes almost got it already. My girls just dont learn this fast i have to say. When i trained Bitsy for halter this year I had to do it over and over and over. She did finally get it but it took much more time and repitition.

Any thoughts?

Well, I find the opposite here in the hollow. My stallion is at a trainer right now. Oh yes, he learned how to lead and halter and all but when the testosterone kicked in and I sold his friend, he took full advantage and hurt me and so he is taking a vacation in Va and getting himself some great lessons. He won't be my stallion if he doesn't come around but I have confidence in who is working him and a great deal of hope.

The colts I've trained have always taken a bit longer to click. I must confess I adore the boys but the girls melt my heart and I probably spend more time with them.
rolleyes.gif

Here I've found it all depends on the horse. My first foal was a filly and she learned really fast. She was halter broke in a day, stood for her first trimming/clipping, would and still will do anything I ask of her. The next 3 were colts and they learned pretty quick. This year we had 2 colts and 1 filly. The first colt was stubborn and a little slow, the second was sharp and learned faster than any other I've worked with. The filly........she doesn't want to learn ANYTHING!

Well, the ones I have done myself, I have just found it to be the horse, not the sex. The horse who does the best, has been the horse that pays the most attention to me.

Our three babies this year, boys Midnight and Opie, and girl Prints, , , , Opie and Prints have done the best, but they seem to hang on anything I say to them. Midnight no more pays attention to me than the mole in the lot I can't get rid of. Midnight is not near as far along as Opie and Prints, and Midnight gets more time because of it. So don't really think it is a sex thing, a least not in our lot.

I think it depends on the bloodline and thus the horses ability and willingness to learn -

Most individuals whom I speak with stare at me in disbelief when I share that normally when I show any of our weanlings for their first show that they have only been worked on leading two weeks or less......A few we have exhibited in the past with only 3 or 4 actual times being haltered. - this years colt that we showed at the World was only haltered for the first time 6 days prior to the actual show. Promise, a fily was only worked for one week prior to her first show at Ashland this year. The most amazing weanling I have ever trained was Muzak who had learned to stretch, pose, stand, trot and give his head in his actual second time (lesson)of ever even wearing a halter - more amazing is that he was 30 days old. Within a month of training/showing he was automatic and by definition a seasoned show horse - by 60 days old...........

I think it depends on the individual horse. It astounds me how quick to learn minis can be!
wub.gif

I think it is an individual horse thing with babies especially. Training the older horses, I find they pick it up equally but the stallions are more honest where mares will try to cheat you if they can get away with it. I totally enjoy stallions when training as they definately keep you thinking to stay ahead of them.

Well I do find my gelding easier to train then my mare, but, my mare does have more patients as far as being handled (she'll stand still and let you do just about anything to her, but try to make her work and she's a stubborn girl)

I'm a dog trainer and I have noticed that the males tend to be easier to train and have work of a motivation to work and get rewarded then the females (I'm saying this applies to all dogs, but the majority I've worked with are like this).

My female chow chow, much like my mini mare, is very tolerant and patient but she is very stubborn and needs to be paid off big in order to work her.
biggrin.gif

Here it is the boys who have learned the fastest and I dont show but have taught 4 to give me their dishes and I give a reward. The 3 boys learned very quickly one is 6 one is 4 and the last is a yearling We have a two year old mare who also learned to do this but grudgingly. Now she will give me her dish and anyone elses she can find in the aisle or anywhere else if she thinks she will get a cookie so perhaps it has nothing to do with how fast they learn but rather how much they like cookies. Saves alot of bending if they hand you their dishes.

l'd have to go with stallions/colts they are just smarter and quicker to pick up on things then the mares hands down everytime. But then it could also be because with a stallion/colt you are more alert and focused with the time you train and spend with them and with mares/fillies you tend to have your guard down more. And maybe mares/fillies are smart enough to pick up on that.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've found it really depends on the horse, but generally I find that Stallions, Colts and Geldings are far easier... It depends, I'm more experienced with training big horses though... And boy, if there is a mare in heat, whew, I'd take a gedling any day!!!! haha!

Latest posts

Back