Training for Jumper & Hunter classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had any pictures or drawings of your hunter and jumper training courses and how you lay them out? I'm wanting to get ideas so I can go ahead and build my jumps.

what is the maximum height I should practice when showing with AMHR?

Also, when showing at the local and regional levels, is showing with a plain leather halter and lead sufficient or should I have silver on the halter as well?

Thanks everyone!

Will a video do? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJ15dTp5v4

Princess should be trotting the entire course for hunter of course - she should respond to a "trot" cue for hunter, and for jumper I use a "hiss" to tell her to go faster.. The maximum height is 30 " for AMHR and for our local Pinto shows the jumps only go up to 30" so that is the max height we usually practice. I also like to vary heights so they get used to paying attention and not over-jumping or hitting jumps.

I always use a plain leather halter for hunter and jumper because in Pinto you HAVE to. Makes it easier to not get DQ'd. I do use a western halter (with silver) for Showmanship if I am dressed western, but Pinto also has English SMS, so another class to use the plain halter. I always use a chain UNDER the chin for all these classes, not just SMS. Of course I train that way so they get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry I have no photos but as far as what I use, we purchased pvc pipes from the plumbing department for the uprights and large clamps one on each upright to hold another pvc piece for the crossbeam. The uprights can sit in a can of cement - very easy to do with a recycled can of appropriate size and a small bag of cement for diy projects. The clamps are like jumbo clothespins and are very easy to adjust to whatever height you need. The pvc comes in a variety of diameters - at least at the bigger diy store in our area so you have some variety.

I also have some concrete blocks that I use to support a small round wooden fence post - simply lay it on the top - this makes a nice cavaletti with some additional wooden posts on the ground. I either make a simple circle course or a figure 8. I have also used two small hay bales to both jump over and alternatively support a wooden pole.

We do not have any indoor area for the winter so portability is king here - I can haul them out in season and store (or have the minis eat
default_eat.gif
) during the winter!

Another great tip we received was to pick up dried/artificial flowers from garage sales and thrift shops to add a bit of an extra visual for your mini - also those 'noodles' the kids play with in the water make handy extra pieces to add color or depth to an upright.

Don't you wish you could go crazy and build some of those amazing courses the 'big boys' jump? The type with castles, towers, and all sorts of marvelous decorative features!

It's fun to dream!

Thanks for all of the advice! I do have another question however, do manes and tails have to be braided for the hunter classes or is that optional? Quite honestly I've never braided a horses mane or tail in that fashion as i come from a western riding background.....so if I can avoid having to braid that would be splendid lol

It is optional, jumper its all about time, so you can go in there any way you want to, for hunter thats where you see the braids but I am beginning to see more and more people braid at local shows. Which is a pain but I think they do place better, it's not that hard to do a running braid on the mane, I personally don't know how to french braid and I was able to do it but perhaps not as well as some but at least it shows effort lol. At Nationals however don't hold back and braid, there was even somebody offering their services to do hunter braids.

Next year if I have the time I will braid at least one of mine for hunter, I am trying to go for his hunter HOF, but the rest I'm not going to worry about it. I just show too many in too many classes.

You-Tube has 'How to braid mane and tail' videos. They helped me learn how to do the braiding. Practice braiding at home so when you are at a show it will be easy to get it done.

Back