Training for Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay, i would love to start showing in Halter. But ive never seen it or been to a show. i need to know some things.

1) What do you do when you show in Halter?

2) How do you train and what do you train them for?

3) How long does it usually take? And how often do you work with them for it?

and anything else i would need to know. Also can you show a non-registerd mini. He will be registered eventually but that can take some time.

Thankx

Thanks for posting this...I was just gunna make a thread like this one!!! I wanna train Apollo for fun...and also maybe for 4-H next year. He's not reg. so I can't do much, but it would just be fun, IMO...

Same here Apollo. (i love that name btw)

i wanted to start off w/ something simple for our first show which i planned on being out local county fair aug 23 ....but i could tell it would take longer then that to train him. So were just doing 'fun' things this yr in the fair. Then we have plenty of time to work on it and do a couple local shows along the way and attend a few myself.

I was going to get into 4-H a couple weeks ago but i couldnt make it to the meeting ...so eventually .........lol

I also am a new comer and would like to know more about showing mini's. Is there anyone that can give us some pointers?

I would either find a trainer to help, find a few good videos and/or attend as many shows as you can, maybe tape the classes. There are SO many fine points to showing Halter. Once you get a few down then go do some Open shows, dont be dissapointed if you dont place for awhile, just do make sure you have FUN!!!! And lots of it
yes.gif

I trained/showed QHs for years, didnt do breed shows, too much politicking going on. I did tons of Open shows and had more fun that I knew what to do with. It takes time to get things down pat, just be as observant as you can.

[SIZE=14pt]You wear what is comfortable and has pockets but looks business like. I wear black slacks and a jacket with a shell under it. It is best to wear boots. hat and gloves are only required for showmanship which this isnt. I start with my babies as soon as they are born. Teach the concept of whoa, stand. After they are reliably standing for mod amounts of time then you work on placing the back legs first ....get them square in back and then you can work on the front legs either placing with your hands or your foot behind their hoof. The time it takes is as variable as the horses you teach. Some get it right away others take longer. To teach streatching the neck I offer treats over a fence or door barrier and say give me your neck....they reach for the treat and then I praise Good give. and give the treat. You can modify that out in the yard with a treat of grain or grass . Lift the head up and out not just straight out streatched. practice for short periods often.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Find someone in your area that shows halter and ask if they can work with you. Its the best way, videos are fine but hard to ask questions to a machine. Take your time and be patient, you can't learn it all in a day. Go to shows if you can and watch the ones that are winning. LoveCoco since you are in OH, if you can go to the Eastern Championships in Springfield the first weekend in August. It will be a great place to watch and learn. When you do learn then practice, don't think you can watch once and then be comfortable in the show ring, it will take time. But don't hesitate to ask questions. Its the only way you can get the answers you want. Good luck and I sure hope you have fun.

Any by the way, we will be in Springfield for that show too and we would love to meet you.

Karen

thankx minimom ..i was about to ask if anyone known of any shows coming up soon in Ohio. Thank you ..i know where springfield is but i need directions. Im in Clyde (right below sundusky). I would love to meet you and see your mini's and everyone elses in action.

btw: Apolla ..i just got your IM and your away at the moment. lol sorry i was running coco and i think i sprung my ankle.

Latest posts

Back