Training for connection and respect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We avoid hand feeding treats as Apaché can get a bit food aggressive and I need to keep it safe for the kids... We always give him all his treats and feed at the end of a grooming/handling/riding session before we set him loose. He sometimes comes galloping to us but sometimes we walk to get him. He has always been an easy catch though!! I get the best result from him when I’m not in a rush as then I get the chance to have him come to me a bit more. If I go pick poo in the paddock he comes over to say hello... If I go to say hello to his paddock mates he will definitely come running ahaha. The more I’m doing with him with gentle pressure and release, the better a response I get... like the more invested and interested in the relationship he becomes.

Thank you. Funny thing is Eddy didn't seem to know what to do with treats when I first got him. He wasn't interested in bits of apple and rolled peppermint treasts around in his mouth. He is now liking then,.
Most of the horses I've acquired had no idea about treats. Midnight left a cube of sugar in her bowl for two days and ate all around it. then one morning it was gone, and she has loved treats ever since. Some would leave apples or carrots all night. Then they were gone, and they have all responded to treats since.

My very first riding instructor, back in 1971-ish, said it this way, "if it eats hay and neighs, it's a horse no matter what size it is. They all speak the same language and we need to do our best to learn it. How you *see* yourself with them is what they'll give you. *See* yourself riding over the jump, over you'll go. *See* your horse dodging the jump, dodging he'll go."

The devil pony I had was extremely hard to catch, very unpredictable. He was about 11 years old, very skittish and probably mistreated before I got him. In his stall I could catch him no problem, but out in pasture watch out! I would have to chase him in the golf cart until he was finally exhausted before I could think about touching him. I would give treats once the halter was on. I worked with him over a year!! He hated me, which was fine because I didn’t like him either. He LOVES his new family, a young man about 9 years old. Don’t miss the devil pony one bit!

I do give an honest effort and work my butt off for these horses, but if they are mean or hard to catch they won’t last long at my house. This is suppose to be fun for me and if I am not having fun, then they probably aren’t having fun either.

Glad to hear things are getting better for you! Hope your success continues!!

The devil pony I had was extremely hard to catch, very unpredictable. He was about 11 years old, very skittish and probably mistreated before I got him. In his stall I could catch him no problem, but out in pasture watch out! I would have to chase him in the golf cart until he was finally exhausted before I could think about touching him. I would give treats once the halter was on. I worked with him over a year!! He hated me, which was fine because I didn’t like him either. He LOVES his new family, a young man about 9 years old. Don’t miss the devil pony one bit!

I do give an honest effort and work my butt off for these horses, but if they are mean or hard to catch they won’t last long at my house. This is suppose to be fun for me and if I am not having fun, then they probably aren’t having fun either.

Glad to hear things are getting better for you! Hope your success continues!!
I agree. I give mine a chance to fit in. I noticed that the ones I moved on ended up better than with me. They showed successfully or were nice family pets. We always think no one can be as good as we are with our animals, but often we are just not matched right.
I do think that many animals that are difficult were not abused, but born with a quirk, inherited or a short circuit in their brains.

Latest posts

Back