Trailering a Mare/Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssshowhorses

Reaction score
I wanted some input as to how everyone trailers mares with foals at thier side. Our vet lives farther away so if we have an emergency it is easier for us to trailer to the vet so I wanted to have the trailer set up for it. Do you leave them both loose, tie the mare, partially separate the mare? What if the mare is more high strung? Do you do something differently depending on the age of the baby? etc. Any input is apreciated! Thank You

I use my van now, so I tied the mare and left the foal loose. When I used a trailer I would partition the foal into the front (this was not a flat fronted trailer) so that the mare could put her head over the partition and see the foal, but I still tied the mare up. I do not like transporting loose animals, I like them to be free enough to position their bodies where they want, so I do not use partitions, but I do not want them wandering around.

We tie the mare and leave the foal loose. The foals almost always lay down.

I would prefer to leave them loose, even my show horses are loose. Word of caution though, if your mare is not use to be trailered and you mentioned that she may be more high strong you may have to seperate momma and baby that way the baby won't get hurt if the mother freaks out. Defintelly make it to where they can still see each other. Or better yet pratice trailering the mother first.

Thanks for all of your input! I think I will try to set something up that I can have them separated where they can still see each other just incase, One of my mares is a good trailerer but is a little unpredicatble at times so im not sure how she would be if she had a foal at her side. I am hoping it never has to leave the drive way but better safe then sorry!

@midnight star stables- no everything is fine des we just got a new trailer and I want to have it set up for foaling season just incase.
default_biggrin.png

I must admit that I would never travel a mare tied up with a loose foal, always have both loose or preferably have the foal safely in a separate 'compartment' where the mare can see it and then tie the mare.

We trailered ours in our current trailer loose but seperate. Our trailer is set up for three I take out one partition(leaves two compartments) and we have a partition that slides in the back to make a small "box" stall for the foal and larger for the mare. The mare than can lean over the partition to touch the foal if she wants.

Latest posts

Back