Trailering a horse back from Worlds...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Kari

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting a new little 3-horse trailer from Wrangler and plan to have it delivered to me in TX when I'm down there for Worlds. I'll have a horse in the World Show as well, and I'm trying to decide whether to haul her home myself or send her with the trainer.

We're planning to take four days (8-9 hours on the road each day) to get back home. Would this be more or less stressful on my horse (compared to two 12-15 hour days with a trainer)? We'd be able to walk her more often than the trainer...

We'll be spending three nights in motels (think Super 8-ish), would she be safe in the parking lots overnight? I'd open up the trailer so she'd have a 6x5 box stall. I worry someone'd mess with her. I suppose we could lock the trailer overnight...

I'd like to bring her home myself... not only would it save me $800 dollars, it'd just be special to me. She's retiring after Worlds, so she finally gets to come HOME.

I'd appreciate any advice, for or against.

Kari

Ashley

Reaction score
Personally I would send her with the trainer. She is used to being hauled next to other horses. That long of a trip I wouldnt change that.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
I'll switch with Ashley on this one. I would haul her home myself, MAYBE see if someone else is comming this direction that would be willing to share the expense -- BUT, that said, one of the main reasons I would haul myself is that most of the haulers/trainers stop at night and unload at a fairgrounds -- OK, so maybe I am paranoid, but with all the bugs that the horses are going to be exposed to at the National show, compounded with new bugs from the fairgrounds, and hauling your horses in a hauler's trailer that is pretty tight -- to me that is just setting the scene to pick something up. Even with a horse fully vaccinated, the stress from the hauling down, showing, etc puts your horse at risk. If you do know someone comming back this way you can share with, you can split your trailer in half and each horse would have it's own box stall- so no need to unload at all. I have made the trip and it can easily be done in 3 days, the horses are comfortable, we don't unload at all because they have plenty of room to lie down - unload here at home bright-eyed & bushytailed.

Kari

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Ashley and Stacy.

I hadn't thought about viruses, so thanks a lot for bringing that up!!!

Kari

nootka

Reaction score
I'd give it a go, myself, if I were you.

Can't hurt to save a few $$$ (or a lot of $$$$$), and I think Tigger will be fine in this situation.

Liz

Minimor

Reaction score
Your horse will have the nicer ride in your trailer, since she'll have more room, but she might prefer to have the company she'd have in the trainer's trailer. But, if you're making the drive anyway you may as well haul her yourself and save that $800!

I wouldn't walk her around much when you stop, and not at every stop. I know some people think it's good to walk the horses and let them stretch their legs, but I'm of the belief that the horse actually appreciates the rest when the trailer isn't in motion. They're bracing and balancing the entire time you're on the road, and that gets tiring. Just standing still & resting is a nice break.

Latest posts