Trailering a cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Turns out my cart won’t fit in my trailer unless I go to the trouble to take the seat off. So I am looking at options for carrying it on the back of the trailer. I would love to see pictures, if your setup as the only threads I found were very old and had broken pictures/links. My trailer won’t work with a receiver sadly and I haul with an SUV not a truck. I have seen the one company that seems to still make them and have emailed them to see how they attach.

I don’t have any pictures but maybe you can follow me. Can you make some kind of u bracket (2 ) and mount to the bottom of the rear door of the trailer and stand the cart up in those brackets with the wheels pointing back. And stap the shafts to the back door with some down pressure to keep the cart from bouncing out of the brackets. Just an idea that I thought up. I don’t know if it would work or not.

This is a photo of the cart carrier I have on the back of my trailer. I had doors that slid over one over thr other which I made into one large back gate. Because they were uneven I had to use a metal block of sorts to make them even so just look at the one on the left side.20211119_165408.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I don’t suppose you have a picture with them folded out without a cart on it?

On my small trailer I had a hitch receiver bolted to the bottom of the trailer and a slip in cargo rack. Both were purchased from Harbor Freight. I don't have any pictures of it installed but here are the items. I used a cargo strap to hold it down and cut pool noodles to protect the shafts.Screenshot_20211123-161551_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211123-150847_Chrome.jpg

4DBC0EF3-8B71-4C7E-AD52-93D6FA407FD1.pngOn the back of my van I put on a pretty large luggage rack thinking I could carry my cart on it. For me, my cart was too heavy to put up there by myself. Also my cart would not fit on my luggage rack, the cart was too big for the rack. My hubby would have had to modify the rack somehow, but then I would have had the side edges of the rack to deal with and think about too. I have an Aerocrown cart which weighs about 90 pounds. The luggage rack is a great idea, but for me it didn’t work as well as imagined (as far as carrying a cart goes) and I ended up going a different route… with a different cart. 😍

Also, I leave my luggage rack permanently connected to my van, even though it is removable. The horses step up on the rack to enter the van which I love because it makes it easier for them. I wouldnt want to have to take the rack off & on all the time, it isn’t exactly light…. But I am a whimp 🤣🤣 I also wanted to make sure the rack would be able to hold horses and no ones legs would get stuck. 💕

You're smart, you can figure it out! Think ramps. I bought the ends then added the wood. You can push your cart backwards up the ramps then remove the ramps and put them where the cart is. Just a thought.

Back