Trail Camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 1665326705190.png
    1665326705190.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Likely right - though there are a number of Warblers with regional names somewhat similar - like the one named by Audubon - the Macgillivray Warbler
View attachment 48365
It very unlikely to be the Macgillavray’s Warbler as the Macgillavray’s has a very dark gray fading to black throat and chin area, where as the warbler in Marsha’s picture has a yellow throat which would point towards the Nashville Warbler. 😀

I put my minis in the barn every night because of our neighborhood bears (and coyotes). We have a very large male bear, a female and her 3 cubs (2 years ago, she had twins). The adult bears have been around for years, that's why I installed game cams around my property, just to see when and how often there around. They're around a lot. Probably because I'm also a bee keeper and have 6 beehives filled with delicious honey. During the day when the bear walks through my property, I am alerted to the fact because all 4 of my minis stop what they are doing and stand perfectly still until it passes by. It's interesting to watch, but a little scary too.

Attachments

• DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    601.9 KB · Views: 0
I put my minis in the barn every night because of our neighborhood bears (and coyotes). We have a very large male bear, a female and her 3 cubs (2 years ago, she had twins). The adult bears have been around for years, that's why I installed game cams around my property, just to see when and how often there around. They're around a lot. Probably because I'm also a bee keeper and have 6 beehives filled with delicious honey. During the day when the bear walks through my property, I am alerted to the fact because all 4 of my minis stop what they are doing and stand perfectly still until it passes by. It's interesting to watch, but a little scary too.
Yikes. Where are you located? When we lived in Albuquerque, we had black bears come down from the mountain and wreak havoc in our water garden. What a mess! He/she looks cute in the picture, but I'll take coyotes. I might trade you a raccoon for a bear, though...

I'm located in a small town in northwest Connecticut, in the Berkshire Mts. We have lots of deer, bear, coyote, racoons, opossum, fox, bobcat and believe or not the occasional moose. I feel lucky to have wildlife all around.
A lot of people think Connecticut is just sub-divisions and neighborhoods but, it's not. I live in a very "farmy" area. I only have a small property, but there are 200 acres of hay fields and woods behind me, a 150 acre property across the street from me and about 600 acres of mixed use land (woods and hay) at the top of my roads. So, lots of space for lots of wildlife. About a month ago, I watched the momma bear and her 3 cubs go up to my bee apiary. The mom knows not to touch the electric fence from past experiences, but the cubs hadn't tested the wire yet. I hated seeing them get zapped, but it didn't really hurt them and they moved off. I love doing what I can to live "with" wildlife and not harm it in any way.

I'm located in a small town in northwest Connecticut, in the Berkshire Mts. We have lots of deer, bear, coyote, racoons, opossum, fox, bobcat and believe or not the occasional moose. I feel lucky to have wildlife all around.
A lot of people think Connecticut is just sub-divisions and neighborhoods but, it's not. I live in a very "farmy" area. I only have a small property, but there are 200 acres of hay fields and woods behind me, a 150 acre property across the street from me and about 600 acres of mixed use land (woods and hay) at the top of my roads. So, lots of space for lots of wildlife. About a month ago, I watched the momma bear and her 3 cubs go up to my bee apiary. The mom knows not to touch the electric fence from past experiences, but the cubs hadn't tested the wire yet. I hated seeing them get zapped, but it didn't really hurt them and they moved off. I love doing what I can to live "with" wildlife and not harm it in any way.
I wondered how you protected your hives.

Yes, I protect the hives with an electric fence with the capacity to go about 50 miles. It is wrapped around my apiary only 5 times. I bet it gives a heck of a jolt!

Gosh, that's not at all what our coyotes look like at this time of the year! They're trapped for fur! Coats are thick, long and dense. Keep Those Wily Urban Coyotes Wild! – Nature Alberta
Being that it gets so cold up here, we don't often have animals that suffer with major tick infestation - although they may have lice or fleas. Mange is very rare. We've got loads of foxes around the farm this year. It's neat to see that their population is doing really well. I think they're my favorite. There was a cougar sighting several range roads to the west of us. Occasionally a young black bear will be spotted in the greater area, a rare elk will wander through. Moose and deer are common. No wolves, they're much further north.

Latest posts

Back