Trail Camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another nice capture. She should know it's only for drinking, right?😄

The raccoons seem to have moved from the bird bath to my little water garden. They are so destructive. Every morning I go out and leaves are broken off, floaters dragged out on the edge, blooms broken, and the water level down about 6". We moved the game camera over there one night to see what time he was coming--we've had the trap set for 2 weeks and never caught him.
A skunk showed up, but he just took a sip and moved on. Then the raccoon party began and lasted from 12:30 to 6 am.
Last night we finally caught one of them.

Attachments

• sept raccoon 2.jpg
    sept raccoon 2.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
Wow, strong little booger! The Ace I work at sells animal traps and one is for raccoons. It's a short, thick metal pipe basically that they stick their hand in and grab the trigger...I kinda cringe thinking about it, but I understand now...

Wow, strong little booger! The Ace I work at sells animal traps and one is for raccoons. It's a short, thick metal pipe basically that they stick their hand in and grab the trigger...I kinda cringe thinking about it, but I understand now...
That sort of trap seems very cruel to me. If the raccoon would release the bait, he could free himself. But he doesn't let go of the bait so he is trapped. I can imagine him chewing off his arm. I'd rather keep using our type of trap. Husband repaired it with electric fence wire and it is back on the job.

This morning I found they had been in the corral, playing in the bucket of water that I hang on the fence. It was full of mud and the bucket was muddy. If the chickens were not in a totally fenced pen at night--top, too--they would not survive.

My horse contracted EPM. The statistics are not encouraging. By some accounts, mortality is about 50% with behavioral deficits in survivors.
I could not support the state-lab suggested treatment at $1000, so I ordered the available treatment drug from China. Meanwhile, I tried fenbendazole, which was ineffective. I next tried Ivermectin, which I had on hand. To my surprise, the poor animal which was staggering, off his feed, and afraid of humans and needed to be herded towards the feed bowl, showed a small behavioral improvement at the first dose, so I continued with two half doses given twice daily for three and a half days by which time, the horse started to recover. He has not lost any desired behavior since. (The drug did not arrive - in its place a harmless preparation of sea shell powder (!) )
This is the very definition of anecdotal evidence which resembles the quack remedies for Covid I saw later, soyou might be better to think of this story as a lucky coincidence.

Zeolytes are supposed to be ultimately effective for persistent parasitic infection... I've got a couple started on that. It's not something I've ever used before. Do you have any input on that?

Zeolytes are supposed to be ultimately effective for persistent parasitic infection... I've got a couple started on that. It's not something I've ever used before. Do you have any input on that?
If this question was directed to me - I cannot say I have used zeolytes though I know they are used in ion-exchange columns to filter water and extract contaminants.

Not on the trail camera, but I saw these two from the kitchen window this morning. It is the doe that was drinking in the bird bath and the fawn. The fawn has lost its spots but still needs its mother. It only nursed for a few seconds; maybe that is as long as a prey animal allows?

Attachments

• doe and fawn.jpg
    doe and fawn.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 0
Some pretty birds this fall. About 9 am is when the camera captures the best pictures. And who knew that mice needed to drink? He is a regular visitor. He could be the one that shredded part of my jute macrame plant hanger and made a nest in the grill.

Attachments

• blue jay group.jpg
    blue jay group.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 0
  • drinking mouse.jpg
    drinking mouse.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
Great cam captures! No raccoons here?

Oh my, I hope there's a way to screen visitors. Are you still trapping them?
We gave up trapping for a while. It gets tiresome. I think at least 15 raccoons and a couple of possums. The camera shows them coming regularly to the bird bath. Love to catch that huge armadillo; he is uprooting whole plants in the flower bed.

I had no idea you got blue jays down there! That's neat. Those pictures could have been from my backyard in Alberta. Very few raccoons up here. No opossum, no armadillo but they'd sure be neat to see!

Latest posts

Back