Trail Camera

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks just about like the Flickers that I have here. I love watching them. We always have just one. I dunno if it's really more than one and we only see one at a time, but I have never seen two together. We have LOADS of blue jays, lol. Mobs of the little stinkers😕. They clean out my feeders in short order!

That looks just about like the Flickers that I have here. I love watching them. We always have just one. I dunno if it's really more than one and we only see one at a time, but I have never seen two together. We have LOADS of blue jays, lol. Mobs of the little stinkers😕. They clean out my feeders in short order!
I don't do feeders as my chickens and horses always find them. I just try to keep the natural landscape so the birds can find plenty of bugs and seeds. We've never had jays before, but our oak trees are beginning to bear acorns so maybe that is why they have come. I think the flickers are migratory.

We thought it was a yellow shafted flicker from looking at pictures.
I thought of ordering a heated bird bath, but I do have a small in-ground pond with water that pumps all year. The birds can set on the antique pump spigot to drink. It does freeze if we have sustained freezing temps, but generally it runs all winter.
Thank you so much for identifying our feathered visitors!

I agree on the junco - they come here in the winter, I've always heard them called slate-colored juncos but maybe it's a different subspecies? We're quite a ways apart longitudinally! I like them, they're cute, they hang around in little groups on our back patio. The flickers are beautiful!

I agree on the junco - they come here in the winter, I've always heard them called slate-colored juncos but maybe it's a different subspecies? We're quite a ways apart longitudinally! I like them, they're cute, they hang around in little groups on our back patio. The flickers are beautiful
The Dark-eyed Junco is one species with multiple subspecies: slate-colored, Oregon, Pink-sided, Red-backed to name a few. They will probably be split into different species within the next 10 years, or they were different species but they did DNA testing and found to be too closely related to be different species. Sorry to go nerd on you! ;)

The Dark-eyed Junco is one species with multiple subspecies: slate-colored, Oregon, Pink-sided, Red-backed to name a few. They will probably be split into different species within the next 10 years, or they were different species but they did DNA testing and found to be too closely related to be different species. Sorry to go nerd on you! ;)
Very interesting!

Latest posts

Back