Track Marks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? After bathing my horses with shampoo and conditioner, I lightly spray them with Show Sheen and then thoroughly let them dry before starting to clip. So, why do I have track marks? Yes, I am clipping against the hair but am having no luck. Is there some type of adjustment on these clippers?
default_wacko.png

Are your blades sharp??? Most of the time its the blades, not the clippers.

Are you using even pressure? What speed do you have them on?

The higher the speed the less likely you are to leave behind lines. I clip my horses dry, i tried clipping one wet one time and the hair just wanted to lay flat and slicked down and it was hard to get the hair with the blades, so i clip dry. Yes on high the blades get hot ..fast ...but i have numeros blades and change them in and out every 5 or so minutes to let the blades cool down and just put another blade on.

I hardly ever leave behind marks ..now i am not perfect but i can do a pretty good clip. I show sheen them down good and use sharp blades and plenty of oil and blade wash.

Thats the first thing I thought of too. Dull blades will always leave tracks. Also be sure to go against the hair but follow its growth if that makes any sense. When it goes down around a corner you clip up around the same corner (geez not a very good explanation) and I always overlap slightly. I think of it like mowing a lawn. If you don't over lap the cuts you will miss some of the long grass.

Something isn't right - I suggest you contact www.bladeguyz.com

I'll bet your blades need sharpening and adjusting, and it's possible that your clippers need some work, too.

Otherwise:

Do NOT use coolant spray. DO use blade wash and oil frequently. I prefer clipping a clean, damp horse without Show Sheen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, maybe it is the blades because the first horse three clipped without track marks but the fourth horse was bad. Would new blades be dull after three full body clips? Leanna, I am running them on high and you are right they get hot. I usually shut them down and give my back a break then when they've cooled back down I start them up again. I am using Oster blades what brand do you guys recommend?

Thanks for all your input!
default_smile.png

I COMPLETELY understand! I have the same problem with my Double Ks and so does two of my other friends. New blades, new levers, just back from the clipper guy - doesn't matter. I think they are just so super sensitive that the least amount of pressure difference leaves track marks. HOWEVER, I tried a wet clip - no marks whatsoever! Now I can't wait for everyone's hair to grow out so I can see if it was just a fluke! =)

I COMPLETELY understand! I have the same problem with my Double Ks and so does two of my other friends. New blades, new levers, just back from the clipper guy - doesn't matter. I think they are just so super sensitive that the least amount of pressure difference leaves track marks. HOWEVER, I tried a wet clip - no marks whatsoever! Now I can't wait for everyone's hair to grow out so I can see if it was just a fluke! =)
I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one!! I've been wondering if it's just a lemon.
default_wacko.png
I'll have to try to clip the next one wet. What do I have to lose?

You need to replace the small black lever under the balde. The blade fits againct it and it causes the bottom blade to move. When it gets worn or loose it will cause the blade to make track marks.

Try changing the lever -- if you are getting marks I would bet that is the problem. A lot of people don't know this is there & needs changed often..We do about 5 horses & change a lever-- unless it is close between clips. Makes the world of difference. GIve it a try & let us knwo if that was the problem. Good luck.

If you try to change the lever, be sure not to drop the little white plastic washer. Someone warned me of this the first time I changed the lever on mine.

"I have never gotten three clips out of 1 blade." Marty

I do... all of the time. If you are clipping dity horses, using spray coolants, your blades are not properly sharpened to begin with, or your clippers need servicing, any of those things could be the issue.

I sold my double K's as even on med speed they heat up in minutes. drove me crazy.

If I am clipping clean horses I can get 4-5 clips off one blade.

I dont spray sho sheen lightly though I really lay it on. I do think this keeps the blade from going dull as fast.

Also if you are clipping a mostly white horse is much harder not to leave marks and they really show on white

Thank you everyone for all your help! I guess I better run to Tractor Supply and buy another new blade before I start clipping today.
default_sad.png

I do think for Christmas I'm going to ask Santa for a different type of clipper. I'm with you kaykay, the blades heat up so fast, and I'm really sick of fighting with the big bulky cord. It is very frustrating!

For those of you frustrated with Double K's what clippers do you use?

I LOVE my Double K's but am always up for new things. Do the clippers you use not heat up?

I am so sorry to hear that you don't like your double K's. I'll be honest though, I haven't liked mine nearly as much as I thought that I would either. Thought it was just me. Mine aren't tracking, they do clip clean when they're working. My blades jam up after a few strokes. I get out a fresh clean pair, go to clip and even though the motor is running, the blades aren't cutting. I just ordered new blades and I will change out that lever to see if it makes a difference.

I also do not like the bulky cord. I have a couple of very tiny horses and it is virtually impossible to do their bellies with the Double K's because the handpiece is too long and I can't get it between them and the floor.

I have 6 that need clipping right now. Whoever it was that posted that they were waiting for their horses hair to grow out, don't wait, come to my house.

I am so sorry to hear that you don't like your double K's. I'll be honest though, I haven't liked mine nearly as much as I thought that I would either. Thought it was just me. Mine aren't tracking, they do clip clean when they're working. My blades jam up after a few strokes. I get out a fresh clean pair, go to clip and even though the motor is running, the blades aren't cutting. I just ordered new blades and I will change out that lever to see if it makes a difference.
I also do not like the bulky cord. I have a couple of very tiny horses and it is virtually impossible to do their bellies with the Double K's because the handpiece is too long and I can't get it between them and the floor.

I have 6 that need clipping right now. Whoever it was that posted that they were waiting for their horses hair to grow out, don't wait, come to my house.

If I lived closer (I'm in Maine) I would love to come clip your guys! LOL

If your blades are jamming or heating up after only a few minutes, something is not right. Even new blades may need servicing before they are ready to use, and not all sharpeners are created equal! There is also likely something amiss in your clippers that requires servicing. The little black lever isn't the only thing that needs attention.

I love my double K clippers and couldn't do without them however it did take some time to get used to them. New blades also need to be washed and oiled before using them. They are packed in some kind of oil and I find that if I wash the blade and re oil then I get a much longer use out of them. I also like to clip a damp horse and replace the black lever quite frequently about every 5 to 6 clips. I also found that the blade guys website was very imformative and helpful and suggest that you check it out for some great tips on taking care of blades.

Latest posts

Back