Toys, games, entertainment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what you all do to keep your horse/horses amused while they are the stable or pen. Ours are stabled ( we have massive stables so 2 to a stable) at night and they go out into a large yard type area for the day and then into the paddock for a couple of hours grass in the afternoon ( these are our show horses) I've tried giving them one of those horse balls with the handle on it to play with but they just stare at it in an unamused "what do you expect me to do with that?" kinda way They all run around and play with each other in the yard but I would like to see them have something a bit more "mentally stimulating" to do. I do training with them before I go to work and conditioning in the evenings after work, but I worry they are bored.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
default_smile.png

I have my jolly balls hanging in the stalls. Just make sure that they are high enough where they cant get caught in the rope. They play with them like a tetherball. We have also used some of the dog toys with the heavy rope on them - they will carry them around and play tug a war. Mine have all had toys since they were born - usually all it takes is one or 2 of the foals that like to play and then that gets the rest started. They love putting the toys in their water trough - and these usually join them.

LisaB

Mine loves empty buckets and rubber feed pans. he also loves to play with (disgustingly dirty) plush animals and towels/blankets. you have to check all your toys daily for wear though, especially anything fabric. The rubber feed bins get the most "bang for your buck" cause they are pretty near indestructable and if the horse steps or trips over it its pretty forgiving so less injury when they play hard.

Hey great ideas :aktion033: I'll try hanging their jolly ball up to see if it interests them more. Love the idea about giving the rubber feed bins to play with too, they set about destroying the plastic ones I feed them in so I always take them away. But with rubber they can chew and stomp to their hearts content! :aktion033:

Keep the ideas coming everyone!

Oh, and whats a Likit?

I gave my stabled horses a Likit (like a salt lick) and as we only got them that day i just chucked it in there buckets so they could have a bit of entertainment in the stable that night well next morning 3 hadnt touched them and my yearling had eaten the whole thing
default_wacko.png
: so iv never given him anything edible to play with again lol

I don't really keep anyone stalled usually unless it's the night before a show, but some thing I know others use are music (radio), mirrors outside the stall (read in a magazine, cured a mare of cribbing), milk or juice jugs hung w/ rocks or something noisey inside, lick-its, jolly balls / jolly apples.

I have one that likes to play with empty liter soda bottles, keep the cap off so no chance of them choking on it. And a kiddie pool with water (in the summer) can be good fun too.

You could try making these for them to play/munch on. :bgrin

http://www.eques.com.au/discus/messages/38...html?1183956447
oh man, i am DEFINITELY gonna try these!!

i don't do this now because my horses are on dry lot and i don't want them picking through the sand but when they were pastured, i would put a cup of shelled corn into a paper feed sack and throw it out to them. they had a blast tearing the sack apart and finding the corn. never had any problems with them eating the paper, once the corn was gone and the sack was torn to bits, they just walked away from it.

Hula hoops. Ours love to play tug of war with them and carry them around. Every once in awhile someone gets one over their body or caught on their legs and it doesn't bother them at all. Our 2 year old stallion drags his hula hoop into his stall every so often (it bears little resembalnce to a "hoop" now). They also have all sizes of the black rubber feed tubs that we feed in and then leave in their turnout. They love flipping the big ones over and standing on them.

An old vacuum cleaner hose, about 4-5 foot long. I had cut lengthwise to put around a steel fence post so they wouldn't tear there tails off by itching againt the post. They pulled the hose off and have been having a ball with it for a year now. (I pulled the post)
default_yes.gif
: . Also have a big 28" orange soft rubber highway cone that I got at a farm store. They actually pick it up and carry it around. Then they have their jolly balls, milk jugs, big rubber balls. They like them better after they are flattened by the rough use. And anything new you put in they really enjoy.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: I'm going to try the hula hoop. :aktion033: I mean for the horses. NOT ME.
default_wacko.png
:

what i do is, I get some bailing twine,

and thread,an apple a,turnip,and melon,carrot,all from it and tie it up,

so they cant pin it against the wall and they spend a lot of time biting bits from it,

they love it,

especially if there on box rest ect!!!

My three have...each other, traffic cones, old rubber feed dishes that I let them have, likits (when I buy them), soccer balls, jolly balls. They did have three of those huge exercise balls but they would stand over them so the ball was under their tummy but between their front and hind legs...they would then proceed to put all their weight on the ball, roll around and adventually they pop! hahaha. It was actually a very funny thing to watch. I've also been meaning to get them some hoola hoops but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Empty milk jugs tied up with baling twine, and let them bat them around. BIG balls, but first I had to kick them around and show them how they roll, then the stallions got the hang of it.

Also there are rolling toys, or balls that you fill with treats or feed, and it takes a while to roll them around and get the feed out.

Well by accident I found the 5 gal water jugs for purified water seems to be a play thing. I got them with the idea of 2 I painted grass green, 2 brick red (even tried to make the mortor) etc to have an econo way to "simulate" a roll top (grass) jump and a brick wall jump.

They pick them up by the "horsey handle" AKA the spout the water comes in and out of and when they are on there sides they roll them around. they are light weight and so far are still in really good shape.

HOPEFULLY when I start showing next year this will also mean they aren't scared of the brick wall and or the roll top but that remains to be seen.

We also hang the balls in the stalls and they do play with them like a tether ball. And they seem to like "dog" toys. We have a yearling that especially loves this one toy that when you bump it, it hops around and sings "who let the dogs out"-unfortunatley he puts it in his water bucket often and it doesn't play the song as loud anymore. In the summer when it's hot I'll put small plastic balls (big enough that they can't get them in thier mouths, but small enough that they have enough room to drink) in their water buckets. I like to think this helps them to drink a little more fluids. We've also thrown the empty liter bottles in (especially at a long show) it seems to help keep them amused. :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back