Towing Capacity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
This is fun!

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days now and I want to see what y’all’s experience is. I have high hopes for Stormy, HIGH HOPES I tell ya!! 😍😍 he is just such a chill horse!

I know some people prefer the B size minis for driving but why can’t an A size mini keep up?? If the A size mini is properly conditioned isn’t the sky the limit? I think it is kinda like saying a small 100 pound person can’t run a marathon but they can! Anyone can run a marathon if properly conditioned.

Ok, here we go with the math. When I was young I use to be good at math, not so much anymore 🤣🤣 it took me 2 days to figure this out LOL LOL

Stormy is small 30.5 inches tall or so, I’ll get him measured at the show this weekend. Stormy weighs 150 pounds. My Aerocrown weighs 90 pounds and my bike 35 pounds. If a horse can pull 1.5 times their body weight then Stormy should be able to pull 225 pounds.

Stormys weight 150 x 1.5 = 225 pounds pulling capacity

Now if Stormy pulls me (110 pounds) plus Aerocrown (90) that equals 200 pounds.
If I take that 200 pounds divide by his pulling capacity of 225 pounds, he is pulling 89% of his total pulling capacity.

200 divide by 225% = 89% total pulling capacity

Now if I put him in the bike his pulling capacity is only about 65%

*What is your horses pulling capacity percentage?
*Does your A size mini have a hard time keeping up? Why?
*Do you prefer A or B size minis for driving? Why?

The larger the mini for me the better. Especially at the walk, I prefer Annie's long stride. Plus she is just stronger than Rocko because of her build and she can take a passenger with ease. Although I am hopelessly in love with Rocko, but he is a Mr. Chill too.
My friend has an A size mini that does really well in cones and marathon but she does a lot of conditioning with him. She drives at the prelim level and he canters through the cones course without breaking a sweat. He usually places first in timed events.
Edited to add: timed events with all VSE.

It's just a height thing. 34" and under is A size, over 34" is B size. All AMHA reg. minis are A size, or are supposed to be. AMHR has both A and B sizes. I don't remember the upper limit for B size.
To further confuse things, AMHA and AMHR measures from the last hair of the mane, not the top of the withers.

I drive a B, Peanut is 34 on the line. I'm not thin :eek: and he does fine with me. He struggles pulling my hubby a little. On the flip side, my hubby's mini Cappy is a stumpy legged A standing 32 inches. That squirt has more strength than 2 Peanuts put together and has zero problems pulling my hubs. I think how much weight they can pull is unique to each individual.

I don't drive, no time not no want, but have to comment😁. One of mine (Izzy) is 34 and drives like a bomb. I saw a video of her driving before I got her and she had two adults and a child in I have no idea the cart and they had to hang on to keep her at a fast trot. She was a mennonite breeding pony and the kids drove her for fun. I would think it was too much weight but I guess not, really depends on the individual I guess.

It depends a lot on the mini. I know some bigger minis that are slugs and just don't want to work or just can't work.

The biggest thing is when training is to make things as fun and interesting as you can. Don't wear them out when starting them. Build their endurance gradually.

My driving minis range from 29.5 inches up to 33.5 inches. The shorter ones can keep up, just have to work a bit harder doing it.

My favorites to drive are my 33.5" minis though.

Years back when the Smart Cart came out and was the big thing in the world of Mini driving, quite a number of people said a Smart Cart was too heavy for their 32 and 33 inch horses to pull. I think the Smart Cart was 105 pounds but I don't remember if that was the original one or the slightly larger one. In any case, some of those people knew the cart was too heavy for their horses--they actually tried the cart and it was too much. In view of that--and some of those horses were not pulling 1 1/2 times their weight--i would not necessarily agree that all horses should be asked to pull 1 1/2 times their own weight.

A horse can pull that much weight, if he is conditioned properly, if the footing is right (sand or soft ground will have a hige effect on how much the horse should pull. So will terrain--up and down hills is different than flat ground. I don't like to make blanket statements and believe that every horse can pull the same weight ratio.

Lilbeginnings.com has allot of mini info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-104306_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-104306_Samsung Internet.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back