Toveros

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Know nothing on color do they besides pink skin a hat and shield need blue eyes or can eyes be brown also..if you cross same sire and dam again will you get another tovero??
default_unsure.png

Off the top of my head I would say no. I have a yearling filly a lady was interested in because she said she was tovero. She does not have blue eyes and the lady did not ask if she did.

Until then, I did not know what the tovero was and she said it was the pattern of colour on this filly.

Sabino, splash and frame are all lumped together as "overo", so any horse that exhibits any of those patterns plus tobiano is "technically" a 'tovero'..

Both of my 2010 colts are tobiano, and I believe both also carry splash and/or sabino, neither have blue eyes:

222385_10150157593549613_224524494612_6627662_7822187_n.jpg

224684_10150162840214613_224524494612_6686525_4015932_n.jpg

The bay colt is out of a solid bay mare that has no white at all and dark eyes, so that leads me to believe that my herdsire also 'tovero': tobiano + splash + sabino (no blue eyes)

76417_449446574612_224524494612_5387409_1656566_n.jpg

Tovero is simply a horse that has both overo and tobiano patterns--so coloring may vary. As far as I know eyes don't have to be blue, because you can have a frame overo that doesn't have blue eyes. Same is true of splash, which is also an overo pattern. Sabino and tobiano don't have blue eyes anyway.

As for crossing the same sire & dam again--you may or may not get a tovero; the foal could have overo or tobiano or neither or both. Of course if one or both parents are homozygous for tobiano, splash or sabino then obviously you're going to get a foal that has that/those patterns. Frame obviously cannot be homozygous so only only a 50% chance of getting that pattern.

Tovero is simply a horse that has both overo and tobiano patterns--so coloring may vary. As far as I know eyes don't have to be blue, because you can have a frame overo that doesn't have blue eyes. Same is true of splash, which is also an overo pattern. Sabino and tobiano don't have blue eyes anyway.

As for crossing the same sire & dam again--you may or may not get a tovero; the foal could have overo or tobiano or neither or both. Of course if one or both parents are homozygous for tobiano, splash or sabino then obviously you're going to get a foal that has that/those patterns. Frame obviously cannot be homozygous so only only a 50% chance of getting that pattern.

default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Just to confuse you a bit more, MY Tovero Stallion has TWO blue eyes!

....and his full brother is solid black, and a World Grand Champion.......

Just another reason why the term "overo" is so very pointless.

Any pattern except Tobiano or Sabino can give blue eyes, but neither Splash nor Frame will necessarily give blue eyes, so you can get a Frame/Splash/ Tobiano without blue eyes, no problem, and a Tobiano/Splash without any face white but with blue eyes, no problem.

If you just defined a horse by it's visual or proven patterns it would be a lot, lot simpler!

After all, since there is no test for Sabino or Splash, all your visual "tovero" means is that you guess it is a combination of these patterns- nothing else.

The first colt is Tobiano + Splash- the nose snip is a dead giveaway, the second colt could just be Tobiano and ditto the third colt- nothing really in either of those two to scream the addition of Splash or Sabino, although of course if you even smell the possibility of Frame, TEST!!!

The first colt is Tobiano + Splash- the nose snip is a dead giveaway, the second colt could just be Tobiano and ditto the third colt- nothing really in either of those two to scream the addition of Splash or Sabino, although of course if you even smell the possibility of Frame, TEST!!!
The stallion was LWO tested and he came back negative, the first colt is also LWO neg. as his dam tested LWO neg (and he's sired by the stallion posted). The second colt I don't know but I suspect him to be negative, sired by the same stallion and his dam is completely solid.

I suspect sabino at least on the stallion as he has a lot of white ticking coming in and his white patches' edging is "feathery", he's got to areas on his hip and he's starting to get more on his face, you can sort of see it right above and below the noseband on his halter:

231182_10150185369694613_224524494612_6865982_226848_n.jpg

229001_10150185367769613_224524494612_6865951_8100451_n.jpg

I have a "tovero"(sort of) that has 2 brown eyes but a near bald face

MVC-040S-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back