Touchy feet after a trim

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My horses were trimmed on Wednesday. I have them done every 6 weeks. I'm working with my trimmer to take heel off, as he had a tendency to let them get too tall. Today I noticed my mare tip toeing on the rocky driveway. It is 1 1/2" crusher run rock, and I don't like walking on it myself. But she seemed really touchy about it. Once she was on the grass, or the smooth paved road she seemed fine. I looked at her hooves and everything seems fine.

I've never noticed this happening so drastically before. It seemed more obvious on the back feet.

We were planning to do a parade tomorrow, but if her feet are tender I don't want to drive her.

This sounds like a case of trimming too short, however, there could be other issues. Since she is walking fine on all other surfaces, I would not be too alarmed by this and wait a few more days to see if she improves. If this is just a case of trimming too short, the horse should gradually improve within a week. I am curious to know how much heal was taken off and if any of the frog was trimmed back. Even if you don't see any evidence of bleeding, the foot and/or frog could have been trimmed too short, resulting in a lot of pain when the horse walks on the stone surface.

She may have a bruise or even she was rasped a lil to much and her white line maybe tender. I never recommend having any equine to be trimmed 3 days prior to any event. Just incase.

Hope she's good to go. Good luck

Absolutely no bleeding--that would freak me out. I am thinking he may have scraped a little too much sole? Her frog looks good; level with the walls. I called him this evening to ask if he thought she could do the parade. He said she would be fine on a smooth surface, but I'm thinking I'll pass on the parade this time with her. We went for a 2 mile walk this morning on pavement. First time since Wednesday she has been on anything but pasture surface. I noticed then that she didn't like the rocky drive. But I was able to observe her from a distance this evening and really noticed the tiptoe.

On her, not much heel taken off. She is not prone to tall heels like my other horse. I might try for a photo tomorrow.

Thank you for the replies.

You can spritz bleach water on the soles or even venice turpintine. Both products dry the sole, thus hardening it.

I second the venice turpentine as it is a wonderful sole hardener. Mine dont like walking on the gravel at all. Infact, a few usually very polite ponies will try to push me sideways so as to avoid walking on it. It hurts my feet to walk on it, so I imagine it hurts them too. Do you have a pair of boots to put on her? Or you could wrapher hooves in vetwrap and duct tape to protect them until they feel better.

Textbook case of a trim too short. Fastest way to lame up any hooved animal. Soak her feet in a 10% bleach solution or a 18% copper sulfate solution.

Also could be that she doesn't like the feel of stones under her feet (some don't) because they feel 'slippery' to animals, especially deep stones that move a little.

I used venice turpentine when a farrier made my guy tippy toe. It helped a little... the only thing that really worked was time. When he was the sorest I even made him some duct tape and padding "sneakers" and that seemed to work the best but they looked silly and wore through in a day, but my boy did appreciate it.

Don't wrap over venice turpentine. Either do one or the other idea I suggested, not both together.

The next time it happened... I sprayed with a dilute Lysol solution. It helped too.

I got a new farrier and I no longer have long heels, weird shaped feet or sore feet on my boys. My current farrier has kept my guys feet perfect for several years now and even when he was adjusting things, he never made my boy sore like my other farrier did. My boy no longer grows too much heel and does not make flares or long toes. Took some time, but both my boys grow nice even well balanced feet and it was the convincer to me that it really was how they were being trimmed, not that my boys had difficult feet to trim.

best wishes. A short trim is a super bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is not uncomfortable on the pasture or dry lot so I will just let her be. She has no reason to walk on the rocks unless I take her there, so we'll just give it time. It is partly my fault, as it's been an issue with him leaving too much heel, so he was trying to appease me. We are both learning.

My dil, who is a certified trimmer and introduced me to the balanced barefoot, moved away. I asked her recently whether she is still learning, and she says nearly every horse has something new to teach her. She's been trimming for over 12 years, so I feel my new trimmer will be fine; I am happy to continue working with him.

I never heard of venice turpentine.

venice turpentine is looks a thick grease and it is black. Some folks mix it with tincture of iodine before applying. Its good for a few things, but not perfect by any means. Its gross to handle and tough to wash out. It is like working with creosote. Hard to brush and if you get it on your hands you will be sooooo sorry when you try to get it off.

When you are done with your applicator brush, you will throw it out. Your brush will catch flys and grit and anything that sticks to it. LOL.

I would rather just wait out the hoof trim, however in the event of stone bruising and trims that are not bleeding but very close to the blood surface and are pink or red.. the venice turpentine is great for brushing on the hoof. Stay off the frog with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keritex, I think it is, makes a sole/hoof toughener...try looking it up for fuller info. I can't speak to its effectiveness, but it seems legit. A friend gave me some when she let go of her last driving pony...I do know it is basically a liquid, is brushed on. Nothing thick or 'goopy' or hard to remove.

I had no idea there were so many products and ideas for tender feet. It's never been an issue with me before, but obviously there is a general market for aids and solutions. Lots to learn!

My mare walked on the rocks of her own accord this morning. I looked at her feet and there is no pink anywhere. She is a very "girlie" mare; Do you think she just didn't want to chip her nails after the manicure?
default_laugh.png

Queen of Venice Turpentine here! I have been using that stuff for some 30 or so years. The reason I got into it was because our ponies were in parades a lot back then and they didn't wear shoes so an old farrier told me it would keep the soreness away. The idea was to paint it on the ponie's feet a few days before the parade to cause a build up of protection. Well, as usual, I went over board and started applying it daily. It certainly did work because they never got sore and funny thing, when the farrier came he actually broke his hoof knife off trying to trim them. He was like "What on earth have you done?" and boy I was laughing......

Glad you sat this parade out. Don't worry, you know you will shine in many others!

Latest posts

Back