Totally Depressed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
I know you all probably remember me bragging about my little black pug puppy that I got a few months ago. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I love him so much. Well, he has Parvo!!!! I am in total shock. When I bought him, they told me he was totally up to date on shots. Well, it turns out, he only had his very first puppy shots, not the next round of them. I thought he was okay until he was 6 months old. I took him in for his shots at 5 month old thinking I was ahead of the curve! No!! It turns out he probably had parvo all along, and since he didn't have the shot when he was supposed to, the shot I had him get probably brought out what he had. He has been at the vets since Monday night. I thought for sure he would come home tonight. No. Maybe tomorrow, but possibly not until Sunday or Monday. I just hate this!! I have gone and visited him every day (my boss has given me time off work every day to go and see him 40 minutes away from where I work). The vet's office isn't open tomorrow. If he can't come home tomorrow, they aren't open for me to go and see him. But, I am calling the vet tomorrow and asking to come and see him anyway! He is perking up, and looking so so much better! But, he still won't eat. The vet won't let him come home until he eats! I am devastated! I want my baby home with me! I can't take it any more! I cannot believe just how much this little puppy has come to mean to me! I love my mini's too, but he is in my house, and always around, and defnitely has his place in my heart. I need to have him home with me. Sorry to vent, but my husband just doesn't understand!
default_gaah.gif
:Cold-Scared
default_wub.png

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that! I know how frustrating it can be when one of your animals is sick and won't eat. You feel like trying almost anything to get them to take that first bite so you can have hope! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little guy to feel better soon.
default_pray.gif

Leia

Don't panic yet dogs can live thur provo. My brittany did. She had her first shot and miss the second, they we knew she went off her food something was wrong. Took her to the vet asap and she spent a week in the vet hospital. The only lasting side effect was shaking went she got excited. At first I thought she was having a seizure but just a side effect of the provo. She had it at about 5-6 months old and lived until she was 11 1/2 old before she did this las January of an infection that she could not skake even with her being under vet care. Have vet check liver funtions to be sure it did harm the liver. I nursed my brittany with liver problems for four years. I think it was c combine of provo and liver porblem that fially took her life.

Trust your vet and prayers for his health.

I hope your baby comes home soon!!! I know how beside myself I've been when Winston and Willow have had to stay in the hospital. I'd have rather been in than have them in!!! Hoping to read a happy update from you soon!

I too had a dog that survived Parvo......a tiny little Shih Tzu that the owners didn't want because it was sick. I worked at a vet at the time......so I got to help heal him, then got to take him home.
default_biggrin.png

He took several months to fully recover, and Ruggles was always on the small side but he lived to be 16. I will say a prayer for your little one, keep up the good thoughts and give him a little kiss from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of folks buy a puppy and misunderstand/aren't told by the breeder that being utd on shots DOES NOT mean that they are DONE with shots! So don't beat yourself up, lesson learned, and just try to pass on that knowledge to other people you know that get a puppy, kitten, what have you.

Your vet may or may not be open to it, (he/she would have to write a prescription for it, it's a human drug)but I had a litter of rescue pups and their momma that had parvo I got through with the use of Tamiflu, and I am completely sold on that drug now for parvo treatment. I believe it kept the pups that weren't showing symptoms from getting the virus full blown and it saved the ones that were showing symptoms. I did lose one, the little girl that got sick first that was not treated with Tamiflu.

Do a google search on Tamiflu and parvo, lots of info out there.

Good luck, I hope your baby is home very soon, it sounds like she's headed in the right direction already!

Oh, I hope your puppy will be alright. Hopefully she will start eating soon. Best of luck, will be thinking of you. I know how quickly they can worm their way into your heart. I have to get Daisy spayed and I am really hoping she doesn't have to stay overnight. I don't think SHE would survive it any better than I would. ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Awesome news!!! Rascal came home yesterday. I talked to the vet in the morning and he said he ate a little bit and that he kept it down. We went to pick him up, and he started jumping and licking us like crazy! It felt so good to see him like this! He is doing so much better now! He gets tired easy, and needs to take lots of naps, but he is almot his old self again! I don't know what kind of lasing effects he might end up with from this, but the good news is he is home and looking and acting great! Sorry I didn't let anyone know yesterday, but I didn't get on here at all after he came home yesterday!

Thank you so much for all your kind words of encouragement. I still feel bad that this could have been prevented, but it looks like he is on his way to good health again!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I just wanted to update on my puppy. He is doing awesome! The vet thinks there should be no long term effects from this. This is awesome! He is hyper and all puppy again! I just love this dog to death! I can't believe how quickly he came to mean so very much to me. I would not have been a happy camper if things had gone worse. I know I was truly truly worried about him because of how sick he was for so long, but he is great now! And I want to thiank everyone for all of their prayers and wishes during his sickness. I don't know you all very well, but you mean so much to me. I love this family like my own. Thanks again!

I just wanted to update on my puppy. He is doing awesome! The vet thinks there should be no long term effects from this. This is awesome! He is hyper and all puppy again! I just love this dog to death! I can't believe how quickly he came to mean so very much to me. I would not have been a happy camper if things had gone worse. I know I was truly truly worried about him because of how sick he was for so long, but he is great now! And I want to thiank everyone for all of their prayers and wishes during his sickness. I don't know you all very well, but you mean so much to me. I love this family like my own. Thanks again!
We had a shepard mix when I was growing up, that got parvo when she was about a year old or so; she had no lasting effect that we know and lived to 13 or 14 years old (she passed on the fall after my Dad passed, so we think in addition to age, that she was depressed over losing Dad).

Glad to hear your pup is doing so well.

Latest posts

Back