Tornado...what it would look like from the inside

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Having seen a tornado.....and also having almost driven into one....I've studied abit about them. I found some

Amazing videos......

First is from the inside of a bank in Iowa...the cameras caught it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
shudder.....I, too, have survived a tornado and didn't enjoy the experience. I just wish I knew what to do when faced with one on the road!

Carin,

Here's what FEMA says to do.

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/tornado/to_during.shtm

I guess we head to the barn
default_wacko.png

that video with the overpass is of the Andover tornado with the local film crew here in Kansas. We watched it as it was 1/4 mile north of our old home and took out the neighborhood and proceded thru McConnell AFB and then thru Andover. Awesome to watch but many lives were lost that day
default_no.gif

that video with the overpass is of the Andover tornado with the local film crew here in Kansas. We watched it as it was 1/4 mile north of our old home and took out the neighborhood and proceded thru McConnell AFB and then thru Andover. Awesome to watch but many lives were lost that day
default_no.gif
Wow...how tragic!
default_sad.png

Yep, I too have seen one first hand, and never want to witness another! I've always been fascinated/intrigued by their force but after watching the one a few years ago come so close (flipped over our sheep shed, took the roof off the barn across the road that is only about a football length and a half from our house) and then to stand on our porch and watch it go through the next town over, I've been terrified ever since.. Had strong storms roll through last night that rotation was detected in.. Really really hate when they come at night because you can't see what's going on or your sound asleep
default_no.gif

So, basically, bend over and kiss my butt good bye?
default_wacko.png
Actually, dKZd a:ysd usd, what we learn here in Oklahoma is to make sure that you are wearing clean underwear (you know: for Justin) and then call the IRS. Give the IRS your present location and tell them that you refuse to pay any more taxes. That way, if you are thrown somewhere and survive, you can be assured that someone WILL come find you.

Actually, dKZd a:ysd usd, what we learn here in Oklahoma is to make sure that you are wearing clean underwear (you know: for Justin) and then call the IRS. Give the IRS your present location and tell them that you refuse to pay any more taxes. That way, if you are thrown somewhere and survive, you can be assured that someone WILL come find you.
:
default_new_rofl.gif
!!

I remember seeing my very first tornado when I was visiting Alberta. I was at a friends house and we knew it was stormy outside but when we looked out the window and saw the funnel we were terrified! It didn't come near the house but it sure was scary for me. Where I live we don't have tornados or hurricanes or anything like that!

That's strange that so many people don't know about the overpass thing...I do know about it and like I said above dont live in a tornado area. I guess it's the same as most people think it's okay/good to hide in doorways during earthquakes but in reality it is a VERY bad idea and is no longer reccomended.

default_new_shocked.gif
Ho-ly crap. I've been close enough to twin twisters in the desert where they were moving our car and blowing out the windows of cars around us and that was scary. Everyone was stopped on the freeway and there was nowhere to go. The same storm produced several microbursts in town and on our way home we saw lightening hit a transformer box as we drove by, blowing it up. Mother Nature sure has some special ways of reminding you of how puny we are...

We had some micro burst storms hit our house the 1st of March and they can be as dangerous as a tornado. It was 90mph winds and peeled the back half of our roof off our house.
default_ohnoes.jpg
I couldn't even open any doors to get to the shelter in the ground...so YES to the "KISS YOUR DONKEY GOODBYE" :DOH!

This thread made my heart cry all over again. Yet it also gave me smiles from those who were able to find humor. Thank you for that. Though I often wonder if I even have a "right" to find a smile in humor over tragic weather anymore. I don't know, I try to always find that reason to keep my joy, but admittedly after last year, I do still sometimes find it difficult anymore. The loss of so many of our neighbors is still "fresh", I guess, when our town was hit by those tornadoes last year. Heaven have mercy.
default_no.gif

Just last week we got hit again, but this time, it was just a "micro-burst". I never even heard of microbursts before now. Here is my posts about it, that I shared on another group.

The first, dated June 19th, typing as it happened...

There goes the roof...AGAINThu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Thankfully it wasn't a tornado this time (I think), just super high winds. I'm sitting here at my dining room table watching out the window as huge pieces of my barn roof go flying off into the nothing, and there's nothing I can do to keep it from happening right in front of me. All I can do is PRAY with all my might that the fences will at least hold and keep the horses contained. They are freaking out though with barn pieces flying all about them.

Wow, as I was typing this I was totally expecting to lose power at any moment, but instead almost as quickly as this storm swept up on us, it is now over. Calm as can be, but still raining. The winds just died as quickly as they started blowing. WEIRD!!!

Well, it's just sprinkling now. I'm going out to check on the horses. I hope they are all ok.
A little later...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:03 pm
Whew, ok. The horses are all ok. Drenched, but ok. My barn and hubby's tractor shed are both goners though...again. I'm about tired of building and rebuilding only to get blown to bits time and again. {sighs} What can ya do, but???? Anyways....thanks for letting me vent. Hubby is gone at work and Sasha is away with family, so I'm here by myself again, with nobody to whine at, but ya'll. Thanks for letting me whine at ya. {{{HUGS}}}

Well, I guess I better go pick up the pieces, what I can find of them anyways. I took some pics and will try to post later. One chunk is almost a good 200 feet away landed right where a cluster of trees fell over. Thankfully clear of any fences, which amazingly did hold up around the horses. I'm very amazed as I put this fence in all by myself this time, and didn't think I did all that great a job, LOL. It held up though... yayyyy!!! Well, I guess I better go find all my buckets from the field and feed the horses while I'm out there and then get to picking up what's left of the barn...again.

Hubby's gonna have a conniption when he sees all this when he gets home. Whewboy!!!!
In response...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:51 pm
I'm in Paisley (Northernmost of Lake County). It came so fast, out of no where (actually I think it came on us from Marion County). I was just talking with my sister and it's over her right now, and she's down in Orange County. It's moving that fast. There's another system heading over Volusia County to the east of us.

But, "now" all of a sudden we have nothing but blue skies over top of us now, here in Paisley anyways. Weird! Came and went, but left it's mark on us that quick!

I went ahead and fed the horses, and just left all the hooplah of clean up for tomorrow. I'm pooped! I already mowed the lawn today and that has me pretty much licked for the day.

Hugs,

Tanya (plum'tuckered, feeling wimpy and grumpy.)
And then earlier this week, when I finally had a chance to post the photos I took of it

Peek-A-Boo.... Ugh!!!Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Ok, I finally had a chance to upload the photos I took of the damage that windstorm did that we had blow over last week. It was so wierd, that it came and went so fast, and when it was over (literally in just minutes) it was like it never even happened as the skies cleared right up and every thing was all honky dory again. With the exception that the barn roof was mutalated. Ugh!!!

Our barn isn't anything fancy to begin with, but it's the best that hubby and I could muster for now. It's just your average simple "Florida Cracker Pole Barn w/Tin Roof". It isn't much, I know, but with the wind damage, now it's even less, LOL. The stalls beneath it are enclosed upwards of about 5 feet high walls, where the upper portion was left open where the summer breeze could keep the horses cool under the tree shading. Guess it's seems to have somehow ended up becoming a major "wind tunnel" in Florida's "fun weather" though. Ugh!!!!!!!

Anywhooo... here at the photos I took of it.

Photo #1 is from the angle of standing in the stall looking up at the trees through the gaping hole. "Peek-a-boo" (cringing a feeble grin). You can see where the sheet of insulation is ripped from underneath too, and over to the left, somehow the tin over top was slammed down hard enough to actually slit through that sheet of insulation in a couple spots.

Windstorm1.jpg

Photo #2 is from me standing at the other end looking up. Now, this one is just WEIRD! You can see where several sheets of insulation are all busted up, mangled and/or totally GONE...yet my wind chimes are still hanging there, purty as ya please, and fully intact. Also, you can see what was left of the damage from when the tornados ripped through here last year and took pretty much the whole shebang with it. The grayer boards up in there were all that was left from last year's damage. The tanner boards are the newer ones that we had to replace when we rebuilt it all back then. I don't have any photos of all the damage from last year. I was way too preoccuppied with other priorities at the time to be able to take time for photos of it all. With much regret, the images are forever burned in my heart of it all though. Heaven have mercy!

{{{MAJORHEAVYSIGHS}}} The damage from last week is totally DIDDLY SQUAT in comparison, thankfully, but still, it's just another thing to put back on our "to do" list of chorese, that "was" checked off TWICE ALREADY! A thorn in our day, definately, but even more so, just so thankful that's ALL it was. Heaven knows.

Windstorm2.jpg

Anyways, the last 3 photos just shows the topside of the roof, and then the last one where the one piece from the corner landed well over 200 feet away. Also, to the left of where that piece landed, you can see where a cluster of trees fell over by the roots right by it, and the "wind tunnel" path through the trees to the left of that.

Windstorm3.jpg

Windstorm4.jpg

Windstorm5.jpg

It still baffles me as to how quickly it all happened and then it was gone, like it never happened, other than the "mark" it left on my barn and through the trees.

Sure do hope and pray this will be the extent of this year's "Florida Weather Drama". Lord willing.

Well, thanks for letting me whine about it. {{{HUGS}}} You have know idea how much it helps to just "deal" with it, even with it as minor as it was by comparison to last year. Heaven have mercy.

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya
In response, and after our county got hit again by another micro-burst...

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 pm
Thanks ... , yes, I'm definately counting blessings here, especially considering current situations from weather havoc in other parts of the country. I learned something today though from the news today. These "wind storms" are happening more often, several times this week alone. They are officially calling them "Micro Bursts". Another one hit our county again today, and it caused as much damage where trees were blown over, boats were flipped and one home lost it's roof. Sheesh, as if the tornados and hurricanes every year didn't blow enough, now we have "micro bursts" to contend with too?

Here are news story from today's "burst":

http://www.wftv.com/weather/16699213/detail.html

http://www.wesh.com/weather/16698658/detail.html

The article describes how all the weather variances interact to create the result of a "micro burst". There are two different kinds, a "dry" and a "wet". The one that hit here last week that mutulated our barn was definately a "wet" one, LOL, but as quick as it came it was almost immediately clear skies and dry as a bell afterwards, except for the standing water on the ground from the downpour that came with it just moments earlier. The whole thing was just WEIRD, but in after seeing the news today, I understand at least "somewhat" better now of what the heck that was that happened here last week, LOL.

I'm still amazed with how quickly it came and went, but definately left it's "mark" to evidence that it actually even happened, LOL. According to the weather reports, I guess we can expect it to keep occurring spirradically throughout the rest of this week too. Whewboy. At least now I know what it is, and that they have a "name" for it, LOL. Kinda neat how the weather cooks this stuff up just out of no where, scary as all get out, but "neat" at the same time.

Hugs,

Tanya (Battening down the hatches...)
Again, I do still "try" to find humor best I can, but I also feel so guilty when I am able to find a smile sometimes. Like I don't have the "right" anymore. I dunno....I guess I'm just still working through raw emotions that are still so fresh on my heart from all that happened last year. Still though, we just gotta "try" anyways, right? Keep moving forward as we can, while we can. Right?

Lord willing.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have learned living here in Kansas is mother nature is in control & will do what she wants when she wants. We have watched many tornados and thank you Jesus have so far managed to watch. But we have been the victims of baseball size hail-micro brusts-straight line winds-heavy flooding rain since living here as well as draught but all in all I still feel fortunate to have a wonderful life because I am still here to enjoy it...Yes, I have empathy for ANYONE who has had to deal with these issues but I am wise enough to also know that it is mother nature doing it's work and if you have ever seen a mile wide F-5 tornado YOU are in awe but also helpless- then there is also the RAINBOW.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back