Top Dress That Makes Supplements YUMMMY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapestry Minis

Reaction score
I don't know what it is but I can't understand why anything other than SafeChoice my horses turn their noses up to. I've tried at one point giving Sand Clear (says right on the bucket "Highly Palletable with great apply flavor") mixed in with their safechoice or beet pulp and they will leave it all. Now with feed costs going through the roof, I found a supplement that is made by the same company that makes the vitamin/mineral pack in safe choice and it's cheeper per head/per day. So I want to switch to that BUT they wont eat it!!!
default_frusty.gif

I have tried at one point to use Healthy Coat as a top dress but they wouldn't eat that either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beet pulp stinks so I think once they get over that odor, they realize it tastes better than it smells. It may also be an aquired taste. Have you tried applesauce?

Natural Plan Stomach Soother, www.stomachsoother.com or your vet. Or call 1-800-584-8642. Mine bottle is about to be loaned out to a friend with a horse on antibiotices, to help get those down. It is pureed papaya and smells good enough to suck right down! Is is also good for all kinds of other things related to stress.

We've had success with molasses (my favorite), maple syrup (small amounts), Karo (for meds), apple or carrot pulp from juicer and/or carrot or apple juice. I have some horses that will knock you down for a carrot/apple and others look at you like you're giving them poison!

Tahitian Noni makes Equine Essentials supplement and my horses love that squirted in their grain slurry/soup.

Thank you everyone I'll have to give those a shot.

Marty...the funny thing is they eat the beet pulp just fine (except for my new mare that has never had it) It's just getting them to aquired that taste for it. Some are still leaving their pellets till after their hay, when before the pellets always came first. Others wont even touch any of their pellets....so frustrating. I might just have to stick with what they all like and just pay the price.

Thanks again all!!!

When I'm trying to make things more tasty I grate an apple or carrot into it, hold the grater directly over the feed so you get all the juices as well, usually works! It spreads through well and they usually try and get every last bit.

Anna
default_smile.png

oops sorry already been said
default_rolleyes.gif
just ignore me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Stomach Soother for all my meds....Had a mare with Lymes and she had to be on Tribrissen forever ( two bottles worth) and she sucked the plunger of the syringe with both in it empty, BEFORE she ate her grain ( Her Choice!)

dru

Latest posts

Back