toothless dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
Our 6 pound maltese going on 9 years has only 4 teeth left now. He was born with a very off mouth and never had a lot of teeth. We got him at age 3 and he had about 9 teeth then and could eat semi hard food. At that time the vet said aside from pulling all his teeth they would most likely fall out from decay which they have over the years as he can't chew bones or crunchie dog food anymore. l've always brushed his teeth for him 3/4x a week or he had bad breath.
no.gif
ls there anyone that has a dog without teeth and what does he eat besides canned dog food l really don't like that stuff and do they get stomache troubles because they are gulping the food down...l thought mashed baby food jars maybe like meat and veggies. Sometimes it's so sad he lays in his bed with his head on a bone after licking it to death. Anyone with a toothless dog or advice...

If the food pieces are small enough for them to swallow whole, that is all he needs, because it is a proven fact that they do not need to chew their food to have it digest properly. Their stomach creates the needed "juices" to digest the food, no matter what size the pieces are.

I used to raise Chihuahuas, and unfortunately, the early decay of teeth in the "Toy" breeds is a very common problem. I fed the "Pro Plan Performance" to my Chihuahuas. It is a small dry food, but there are also other dry foods now available catering especially to the small breeds. Feed this to your dog, and I am sure he will be just fine.

Also, another thing you may want to try, is to take the dry food, add a little water and microwave it for a short period...basically, just to heat it up. Then stir in a tiny bit of canned food if you prefer, or feed it by iteself after stirring well and allowing it to cool enough. The heat brings out the smell and flavour for the dog, and they might take to it better. Also takes some of the "crisp" out og the dry food. Good Luck!

Over the years several of my wifes dogs (always her little bitty tiny toy things) have ended up having most of their teeth removed. They sure do look funny without teeth to hold their tongues in. They sit around and sleep with the tip of it hanging out. Two of hers ended up this way. Both have been older dogs she acquired from owners who could no longer care for them or from our local vet becasue the owner either did not want to pay the cost of care or what ever we ended up with it. Our current little girl (it) seems to have good teeth so far but she is only five now so it might come later.

Thanks Mona l nuked a cup of dry nibbles with a half cup of water and some mashed peas and it made a nice mush for the guy he cleaned it up while it was still warm. l hate the smell of the canned dog food as much as my dog so l think l'll stick to this for the next while. l tried feeding him the Top Choice thats real soft but he'll go hungary before eating that.
biggrin.gif

I have little guys and one huge Mastiff female. They make little bites dog food. It's just little kibble and I bet she will have no trouble eating it.

Good luck

Fran

If you grind cooked meats...chicken, beef, etc....add water and mix with some small pieced dog food, he should love it! And be getting all the vit/min needed.

My Chihuahua does
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back