Tooth Bumps? I feel embarassed but....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmt

Reaction score
Okay everybody...I've heard many of you mention 'tooth bumps' and how they can ruin the appearance of the horse's head but I've never heard of them
unsure.gif
. Was wondering if someone could help me clarify?? What are they, what causes them, and are they age oriented?? Thanks for the help! Oh ya...how does it effect the appearance of the horse?

They are knots that swell up on the horse's jaw when their permenant teeth come in. Some do it at the age of 3 and others maybe older.

Our stallion bless his little soul had them for a year before he got rid of them. It made his head like every large.

Thank so much for the info! I've really never heard of it before now and have been around minis since I was a baby! I'm gonna go check all of our horses tomorrow to see if I can spot any of these "tooth bumps"! I've never noticed them but maybe it's just because I didn't know about them.

[SIZE=12pt]Tooth bumps can be caused from retained caps.[/SIZE]

I would suggest to anyone whose horse has tooth bumps, that they have their vet or better yet, an equine dentist check them out. Many times horses will get sinus infections from retained caps, because they don't let the permanent teeth come down where they should be and the roots are up into the sinus cavity.

Dwarf minis are nortorious for hanging onto their baby teeth, all of my special little ones have their teeth checked every 6 months. They seem to start having problems at about 2 to 2 1/2 years of age because of the retained caps.

Little Bit said:
[SIZE=12pt]Tooth bumps can be caused from retained caps.[/SIZE]
I would suggest to anyone whose horse has tooth bumps, that they have their vet or better yet, an equine dentist check them out. Many times horses will get sinus infections from retained caps, because they don't let the permanent teeth come down where they should be and the roots are up into the sinus cavity.

Dwarf minis are nortorious for hanging onto their baby teeth, all of my special little ones have their teeth checked every 6 months. They seem to start having problems at about 2 to 2 1/2 years of age because of the retained caps.

448138[/snapback]

What Janell says is true.
yes.gif
As soon as you see tooth bumps....the horse should be checked by an equine dentist (preferably one who specializes in Miniatures). It's also true that the tooth bumps will disappear when the caps fall out & the adult teeth move into their proper place. BUT....many times with the Miniatures, the caps will NOT fall out on their own & must be removed. If you let the problem go on too long....the tooth bumps will calcify, and the horse will be left with permanent disfigurement for life.
sad.gif

They can also get what I call alligator jaw underneath. Right now my two year old filly has that. Is not stopping her from winning though......................... I do remember one year that we had a beautiful headed filly that had the bumps top & bottom that we quit showing because her head did not look nice at all.

I live just east of Waco TX. Anyone know of an ED that can handle this in my area? Due to health reasons, I cannot make a long drive ( to Dallas or Houston) thanks!

Latest posts

Back