Took the plunge today.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally

Reaction score
My leader needs to get a bit braver, he's not too sure about the girls behind him. We will get there though, day one, we have to practice a bit more.

unicorn-1.jpg

unicorn-4.jpg

Great looking team there and good luck. I am a new driver myself to just one horse but having a ball.

Awesome and good on ya!

I have just started my fourth horse to drive, and I realize, as I always do, that it is an individual process in every way with every horse, though indeed there are similarities in the steps one goes through, no two horses end up going at it the same pace. I am fearing this one may go slowly, but it will be worth it. He's only 3, after all...

Good luck and keep up the great work, I am in awe of your undertaking. I haven't even ever started a team, yet, let alone driven one!

Liz M.

I am very lucky, the two girls at the back are very forgiving, the boy at the front is a super singles and pairs pony, but may not be cut out as unicorn leader, they cannot be good at everything. As Nootka says, they are all so different, I shall now have to practice and experiment on different combinations to see who will enjoy being up front.

I have a little pieblad chap who may well like being up front better than the big black guy, I can put him in the wheel and his little brother up front. The black chap makes a really good tandem leader though, that's why I thought we'd try him in the lead with the unicorn.

oh wow that looks cool i wish i could drive a three horse cart lol
default_yes.gif
:

I have never driven a Unicorn- Tandem, Yes, but not Unicorn.

You might try taking the blinkers off the leader- I did with the tandem- well, I just took all blinkers off but that's me
default_smile.png
- but taking the blinkers off cured my nervous nellie and had him roaring off!!

His problems come from a vet who scared him and he ended up getting hock injuries through hauling a bit of wood behind him.......long story. He cannot stand any kind of knocking at his hocks any more. Did I even get an appology from the vet...nope. If the swingletree/lead bar dangles near his hocks he gets upset.

In tandem he is fine, no swingletree/leadbars to upset him. It diesn't really matter, I have another 5 or 6 we can try up front. He's probably better in the wheel, he has the build for it.

The black may not be sure of himself.. but that is a good looking set up!

You will find the right leader and we will of course want more pictures!!

Are you kidding? Any gelding being chased by two mares had BETTER be nervous! LOL

Seriously, great turnout and I admire you for attempting it. Keep posting pictures!

Leia

I am going to try another combination. Maybe my little grey guy at the front, not much rattles him.....or the big guy at the back with his little brother and the stallion at the front, he too is very laid back about most things.

Latest posts

Back