Too small to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 30" mare who absolutely loves to drive and does well at the shows mostly competeing against much larger A sized minis. She is a pleasure to drive, I am not sure who enjoys it more, me or her. I am also not a tiny woman. I also have a 31.5" stallion who showed in driving for his first time this year and kicked butt. I have high hopes for him.

Tammie~

I sure hope that's not to small to drive in CDE because I have two 30.25" horses I drive. I am average size and am hoping they do great!! I also can't afford to go buy a bigger horse at this time so they have to work!!

One thing that you can do that will surprise many people is go sit in the cart not hooked to a horse have another person pick up the shafts and move them back and forth. It will surprise most people how light the cart is. remember your are on wheels.

I used to do this when i first got into minis and people were shocked when i said they pulled me in a cart.

They looked at me and felt bad for the mini.

Then i went and sat in the cart and asked them to pick up the shaft, they would take a mighty grip and a big heft, then were amazed when they could pull it back and forth with just one hand quite easily.

Pokey was 31 1/2 and pulled me very easily.

Now would I go up a mountain of course not but some of the best driving horses i have ever seen were 30 inches and boy did they haul A^*!!

My Rocky is 35 inches built like a full size Morgan tank and while he drives,he is about as lazy as it gets and is just not that into it.

I don't think it depends on size, I think it depends more on heart and enjoyment from what iI have seen over the years that is what is most important.

I remember a little guy named Bill Bailey who was 28 iches if we put him on stilts, but man put him in a harness and you had all the action you wanted! He seemed to grow to 16 hands and just strutted his stuff.

JMO

Bonnie

Bfogg you are spot on- it's the size of the heart that matters.

My 35" guy is powerful and can pull w/ ease. My 32" guy would die trying to pull me but by nature is more laid back, less electric in his reactions. I have been on hills where the 32" guy struggled, only did that once because like I said, he would die trying rather than quit but he was at his limit given the physics of the terrian & weight.

I do pick and choose where I drive them if it's off road or deep footing.

In regards to under 32" driving minis- its more of the build in order tp perform- that is a key factor- Infact many World Grand driving horses have been from the 32" under division. There are 36" horses that couldnt be a driving horse to save their lives- so anything is possible...

My driving stallion (avatar pic) is a 32" under Single Pleasure driving horse- and he matains powerful motion in the cart for being a smaller guy..

Last edited by a moderator:
Our stallion Boones Little Buckeroo Charmer is 29" tall AND has his Country Pleasure Driving HALL OF FAME.

He is a fantastic driver == obstalces whatever, he can do it. I also drive a buckksin mare that is 29" as well, Boones buckskin Princess- we also drive them in a team, in a 4 horse hitch, tandem, and unicorn.

The little guys can do anything the bigger ones can do.

My smallest driving horse is 31" and I'm not a small lady. He has no trouble driving for me, and has been doing it for years
default_yes.gif

Back