Tony ..favor please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add me to the list of people here who appreciate all the knowledge that you impart here on the forum!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I am always impressed by your honestly about the "things that happen" when you are a breeder of miniature horses...such as these pictures. If they help one person to deal with a newborn such as this then it will have all been worth it. Of course my favorite "things that happen" story from you is of course "Little America's Accidental Tourist"
biggrin.gif
Please keep posting Tony, you would be sadly missed!!!

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Tony,
saludando.gif
[/SIZE]

Remember me? Wanalynn and myself met you in Tulsa at the Central Championship show! I for one, am very proud to have met you Tony! I have read every post you've wrote since Lil Beginnings started! You tell it like it is and I admire that in a person! I too sometimes feel the same as you, Why bother! Then I remembered what you said a few years back in a post! "That this is a learning experience for everyone here, no matter how big or small your farm is! We can help each other"!

And for those of you who always have a negitive attitude, I feel so sorry for you because, if you always post that way, you must lead a very miserable life!
sad.gif

Tony , Thank You for what you have done and continue to do the the Miniature Horse industry!
yes.gif

Bill
wink.gif

I agree, Tony is a big asset to this forum
biggrin.gif

And thanks for the pictures, I agree tendons do straighten on their own.

However I do want to add this.............

Sometimes there is more going on than just lax tendons.

My filly Karo this year was just as bad as Tony's little man was.

But because it was determined by several things that Karo was premature, the vets tooks x-rays, which determined that her Carpal Bones were not fully developed. To prevent them from being squished and causing permanent bone deformities we casted her front legs and she stayed casted for the first 2 weeks of her life.

The vets were actually concerned that the casting might make her tendons worse. It was a catch 22, and we went against one of my 3 vets wishes with a majority rules vote, and the other 2 vets decided to cast her legs.

After having her casts off, her tendons were still loose but she completely straightened up within 3 weeks. There was the added detriment that I could not let her out of the stall for exercise for the first 6 weeks of her life, to protect her bones.

Here are some pictures...........

This picture was taken 2 days after her final casts came off.

29150daddykiss.JPG

And this picture was about 10 days post cast, and she needed her feet trimmed.

29150leftjuly.JPG

I have new pictures of Karo and will be posting them in a seperate thread this weekend. Her front legs are now straight as an arrow.

I will upload her baby pics tomorrow and post them, though I didn't get any as good as Tony's, before we casted her legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,

I am usually a lurker not a poster but read the forum every day and always look for your post when advice is asked for . Why bother because there are many more than the regular posters whom you help without ever knowing . Your experience is a great asset and your honesty about what can and does happen has helped us more times than you will ever know. We who specifically look for your posts should say Thank You for your knowledgable and willing advice. So THANK YOU

Tony, though I don't know you, I do admire you for your marvelous contribution to breeding the small miniatures
wub.gif
...I hope there will always be people who strive for perfection with the little ones because I think they are the true miniature horse. People are letting you know it is "worth it"
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Mary

Tony - you know why you post here - because you care to darn much about all these minis and are generous enough to share your experience with everyone!

I know you've been a wonderful resource to me, learning about foaling, breeding the tiny ones, herd management - stallions, and broodmares, dealing with large herds, history of minis, pedigree info, the early days, etc., Shall I go on?

Think if you stopped posting here, we'd just pester you on the phone!

I love the photos of the foals, and all the info you share - the ups and downs make it easier for all of us.

You know I ask you every year - when are you going to write a few books? Just the historical anecdotal stories would be a wonderful resource!

Michelle@wescofarms said:

You know I ask you every year - when are you going to write a few books?  Just the historical anecdotal stories would be a wonderful resource!

464207[/snapback]

I've asked him the same thing!

He definitely needs to write a book (or two)!!!!

MA

OH MY guys!

Me too! I want Tony to "at the very least" start voice taping all the information/knowledge he has. On old farms, owners, breeders, (the real) history of the American Miniature Horse and of course the care and breeding of them. I have mentioned it a few times to him as well.

Guess we better get a petition going or something......
yes.gif

Beth

Miniv said:
Michelle@wescofarms said:

You know I ask you every year - when are you going to write a few books?  Just the historical anecdotal stories would be a wonderful resource!

464207[/snapback]

I've asked him the same thing!

He definitely needs to write a book (or two)!!!!

MA

464281[/snapback]

yes.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif
Biography of Tony Greaves..My horses- My life!!
yes.gif

LOL. Thanks everyone. I actually have the title already... Confessions of a Mini Addict.

I love that title, Tony! It is PERFECT!!!

Now when does the book come out??

Or get started..........? :)

Susan O.

Tony said:
LOL.  Thanks everyone.  I actually have the title already...  Confessions of a Mini Addict.
464307[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
COOL! Now, what's going to be about?????

With that title you could go ANY direction!

MA

Tony, I havne't had a chance to respond until now... computer having hiccups bad. LOL...

You are an amazing, and (as you can tell from this thread) very much loved, and honored guru of the mini horse world. Your posts are more valuable than gold.

We all know there are those out there that ignore the intelligent, and hard-earned advice of those who really do know what they're talking about... but those people would ignore the advice of God himself, because they didn't really want it in the first place! Then there are the rest of us, that even if it wasn't us that posted the question/problem in the first place, learn beyond measure from your words and pictures.

Please never let the naysayers stop you from posting! We NEED you to continue giving us your wisdom.
wub.gif

Tony, I actually thought of a question after I posted the above, regarding such foals as Twister. In your experience dealing with so many of the really, really small mares... does it seem more common for foals out of really tiny mares to be born more... I guess folded would be the word. Maybe due to the extremely tight confines of such tiny wombs? Or do you just see it as about average for any of the minis, regardless of the size of the mare carrying.

CountryHaven said:
Tony, I actually thought of a question after I posted the above, regarding such foals as Twister. In your experience dealing with so many of the really, really small mares... does it seem more common for foals out of really tiny mares to be born more... I guess folded would be the word. Maybe due to the extremely tight confines of such tiny wombs? Or do you just see it as about average for any of the minis, regardless of the size of the mare carrying.
464364[/snapback]

I haven't noted it more with smaller ones, although Twister's dam was tiny. The first time that I was made aware of "windswept" foals was actually about thirty years ago and I was interning at an exclusive Quarter Horse stud farm in New Mexico. They had a famous stallion whos foals could be recognized at birth by their terrible legs; going every direction, looking like they would never straighten up, or for that matter to even be able to stand, but they did, in fact, many went on to be outstanding race horses!

Thanks for the answer... so that is what windswept looks like? Okay, I didn't know that. I'd heard the term many times, but never seen pics of it.

Tony, I can only speak for myself, but I would LOVE it if you posted more often!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
It's wonderful to hear the voices of those who are as experienced with minis as you are!!!
yes.gif

Those are amazing photos of your Mr. Twister!!! Wow - talk about progress!!!

P.S. I still have a foaling monitor that you sold to me...8 years ago!!!
yes.gif

Liz R.

Tony

I have only been here a short time. I usually don't answer all of the posts. But read most of them when I have time. Some days I only stop for short visits.
biggrin.gif

But I do take the time to check out your posts. I really enjoy your pictures. I am the one drooling over your horses.
new_shocked.gif
I wish you didn't live so far away.

Deb

Latest posts

Back