Quantcast

Tons of rain, TONS, need better mosquito control

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Frankie

Reaction score
Like many, Indiana has had lots and lots of rain and flooding.

We have been here 8 years and have never had a mosquito problem. We have a large population of purple martins and they have always kept them under control.

But with all the rain, I already see them everywhere and I can see it is going to now be a problem for me.

Have you had a major problem before and what did you do to help control the problem?

I am spraying the horses in the morning, and spraying the barn down being careful not to over due it. Keeping grass and weeds cut. I have nothing sitting around holding water, except the ground.

What else can I do?

Frankie

Reaction score
Oh, and the spray I am using is CV-80D by Country Vet.

Is there an automatic sprayer I can use in the barn? I have seen them, but have been somewhat concerned with using them as you are not out there and do not know what they are spraying and when.

Dona

Reaction score
My only suggestion would be to use lots of fly spray (or masks & sheets).......and make sure to vaccinate everyone for West Nile!!!!!!!

Michelle@wescofarms

Reaction score
The Mosquito dunks/bits are great if you have any standing water anywhere.

For really effective mosquito/fly control we use the human Deep Woods Off it works better than any horse spray I've tried. We spray it on a baby wipe to wipe around the face and do not keep horses clipped short.

Another option if you have the space a bat house (county extentionsist should be able to help you there if need be). Bats eat literally thousands of mosquitos every night.

Same for dragonflies - love seeing clouds of dragonflies out in the afternoon! Frogs too!

Yes we encourage lots of wildlife here LOL!!

Frankie

Reaction score
We do have bats. Maybe if I put up a house it would encourage them more to stay. Our local farm store carries them. Not fond of the rabies they seem to carry, so I guess I'll think on it.

Mosquitos are worst than I have ever seen them here.

My vet also recommended WN earlier this year due to all the water.

Latest posts