Today (Weds, Aug. 1) is CHICK-FIL-A Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
You have probably all heard about the controversy regarding Chick-fil-A, but may or may not know that today, August 1, is "Chick-fil-A Day" where people are invited to show their support for freedom of speech.

Personally, I feel marriage should be an option for all committed couples but I also support the First Amendment. I will be enjoying a Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken sandwich later today
default_yes.gif

314080_10150984127032408_1163051805_n.jpg

And thought this was too funny not to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI_d3fkRsis

603612_10151952226170084_1199412613_n.jpg

581242_10150992883753634_389272249_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a firm believer in freedom of speech I have been following the hateful tweets of some of the more well known "No H8ers" like Roseann Barr on twitchy.com. Tolerance bullying
default_doh.gif
. I think Antoine Dodson's videos make a lot more sense than what anyone can put into words. "Dem waffle fries is bangin!" He is gay. He is black. His attitude deserves applause. He is going to keep eating at Chick Fil A.

I am neither for nor against gay marriage. Truly, I don't think you can legislate morality - since everyone has different moral values. Therefore, I don't think you should be able to create laws forbidding two consenting adults from marriage. And I think the idea that gay marriage would do anything to undermine my marriage and the sanctity of my marriage is idiotic. But when I say I'm not for or against, that just means I'm not going to protest either way!

However, I am for freedom of speech! Mr. Cathy, the CEO of the company, has the right to say and believe whatever he wants. Hate is definitely a two-way street. He merely stated his opinion, which in this country he is entitled to. If there were a Chick-Fil-A near where I am this week, I would support it. I do support the Christian values this chain represents. And if you don't want to eat there - then don't eat there! That is your right, too! But some of the things I have heard said against Mr. Cathy are WAY more hate-filled than what he said!

Barbara

Yep, I see this as a freedom of speech issue and, like so many others, I have also have taken notice of the parade of intolerance by many of the loudest of liberals who like to say they think we should all be more tolerant and accepting...

I LOVE the fact that someone has held their values above "the bottom line", however tainted I see those values, that only makes it harder for a person to sacrifice financial gain to uphold them. I think Chik Fil A should be applauded and seen as an example in that aspect.

But how can we try to turn this into a freedom of speech issue? Is anyone trying to pass new laws to stop him from speaking?? I see anyones response to his opinion just as protected as his opinion. But there are laws affecting the freedoms of those he is speaking out against. My sympathy goes to those being attacked on a daily bases, who are part of a minority and whom still do not have equal rights in a Country supposedly founded on that principal.

Also, no matter how politically correctly it is said, or double dipped in southern sweetness, telling someone they will burn in h$@! for all time and that they don't deserve the right to raise their own family, is about as offensive and hate filled a sentiment as I have EVER heard in my life.

I don't see this as freedom of speech. He already said what he feels as do millions everyday. He had that freedom. I see this as more of the double standard "christian" hatred that you see everyday. I notice the top 3 posters supporting CFA here today are strong christians. If you were truly christians then you should either a) be stoning and killing folks left right and center like the bible tells you to - rather than pick and choose your hatred or b) act how "real" christians claim to be like and although supporting someones freedom of speech, not choose to eat there as their so called freedom of speech is hate filled and discriminatory.

But honestly...I don't expect any less from christians than to continue the hate, racism and bigotry that the bible calls for. By participating in the eatathon there today you are not distinguishing between his freedom to speak and the content of his speach and so in my eyes - ANYONE eating there today is supporting the content of his speech - undeniable discrimination against gay people - SHAME on you.

That's my FREEDOM OF SPEECH at work !

100% support freedom of speech
default_smile.png

100% do not support the discrimination of a group of Americans based on an antiquated hate filled religion
default_sad.png

They have never discriminated against gay people...they just answered a question on if they believe in a traditional marriage....however, lefty mayors claiming they will not let them do business in their towns, that is discrimination....and just plain stupid to deny jobs/income to their towns.

Just one word comes to mind. Ironic. lol, look up the Eat More lawsuits.

FWIW, I don't even like Chick Fil A's food.

I agree that the company may have no discriminating policies, but that doesn't mean that the owners should not be held accountable for what they have said against gay people. In turn, I would not be offended if someone chose to not do business with them anymore because of this. That is the other side of this whole freedom of speech coin, and quite frankly, the people who are being "hateful" towards Mr. Cathy, because he told people that they are unfit to be parents, are only standing up and defending a minority.

I think you do bring up a great point about the Mayors who have said that they will not allow the company in their cities. I wonder if legally that is even allowed? Who makes that call, is that a power that the mayor has? If it is able to be enforced by a vote by the community, then that is our legal system and I would be very impressed if an entire community was willing to put their values above a Job Opportunity. I don't think it is just plain stupid to sacrifice income to uphold your values, as I said before, that is the only leg I see Mr. Cathy has to stand on.

Sorry Ozy, I am fresh out of stones today! And so grateful no one has thrown one at me yet - because I'm a sinner, too. I don't hate anyone - ever. And I think it makes it easier to characterize Christians as hate-filled people, when it is just the opposite.

And here is the direct quote from Dan Cathy:

Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.

"We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

Andi - I don't see anywhere where Dan Cathy said anything about burning in He** for all time. He was simply sharing the values that he holds for his family and his company.

I don't see anything that remotely resembles "hate filled."

As a Christian, the song by Casting Crowns best sums up what I wish all Christians were today. We are so busy telling people what we are against, that they don't know what we stand for - the all-consuming love of Jesus Christ.

Barbara

I am all for freedom of speech and acceptance of all opinions, except when that freedom hurts others, which discrimination does. Just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. They have the freedom to say it and I have the freedom to say they're wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/nzQyT.jpg

I am all for freedom of speech and acceptance of all opinions, except when that freedom hurts others, which discrimination does. Just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. They have the freedom to say it and I have the freedom to say they're wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/nzQyT.jpg
Absolutely! What I see is that Mr. Cathy's words simply stated his position and beliefs. I don't hear hate in those words. What I do hear is hate in the words of the other side that are screaming about tolerance and acceptance directed specifically at Mr. Cathy.

And I didn't read discrimination in his words. He didn't say he would not hire homosexuals, Muslims, atheists or anyone else to work for him. He was talking about his beliefs, which he is allowed to have. Whether you agree with them or not, he can hold them.

For goodness sake - he is the CEO of a fast-food restaurant. What he believes or doesn't believe isn't going to make that big of a difference in the world.

"I don't care about chicken, I care about my gay friends".

His words ARE discriminatory. The whole view is discriminatory. It is one issue that I absolutely can not tolerate the opposition to because it is 100% discrimatory and it hurts people. The man has put millions into anti-gay organizations, by the way. Again, he can say whatever he wants....and I will practice my freedom to say he's wrong.

This entire refusal to admit what he means when he says he "supports traditional family units" is where I really take offence. That is the Politically Correct form of "Homosexuals aren't fit parents". And that statement, "Homosexuals aren't fit parents", is just the politically correct alternative to, "I hate gays".

This hate has been purposely mainstreamed, followed up with a spoonful of sugar and attached to Christian "values", so that the masses would tolerate it and accept it not realizing how horrible it is.

I genuinely feel sorry for many of these religious organizations and followers, which have been burdened with this hate. I honestly think it is general society that makes us "uncomfortable" with gay relationships. But this attachment to religion has given people enough security and power of the masses to ignore their bigotry and actually glorify it as if it is upholding a higher standard. I do not blame one person for falling for this. If I wasn't gay myself, my own insecurities and uncomfortable feelings towards Homosexuality could have led me to the same misguided conclusions.

To start - I support gay marriage, and have a gay son.

I have no issue with the owner of Chick-Fil-A stating his beliefs. As long as he doesn't try to force them on others. For his family / his church, etc., if they don't want to conduct gay marriages, no problem. That is his right.

I don't agree with him, and I'll never eat at Chick-Fil-A because of it. That is my right.

I don't agree that a mayor of a major city can stop a business from legally operating because he doesn't agree with the ownes' beliefs. Sorry, that's interfering with free enterprise. Let them build, and let the public determine if they can be profitable.

I also don't see how democrats can bill themselves as "tolerant" - when it's obvious they are "tolerant" only about what they believe in. I have to say, that many times I respect the right more than the left, because at least the right isn't hypocritical. The right will admit they are not tolerant of certain groups, while the left believes they are tolerant of everyone, while the truth is they are tolerant of everyone but the right!

Realize that people's belief systems are shaped by the paradigm from which they view life, and that is shaped by their experiences. It is nearly impossible to change those beliefs without changeing those experiences. Others aren't "idiots" or "uninformed" because they don't agree with your beliefs. When it becomes true hate speech, when you stray into the Fred Phelps of the world, yes, then I think we can agree that's not to be tolerated. But this man calmly and without malice simply stated his beliefs, the same way you or I may state that we support gay marriage, and why. I will not condemn him for that, although they are directly counter to my own.

I may not agree with what he says, but I will defend his right to say it.

Lunch was great but Chick-Fil-A was a bit crowded
default_eat.gif

Good thing the First Amendment is not just supposed to be for liberals, or conservatives, or...
default_whistling.gif

It's for everyone, even for the people who have an opinion different than "yours" or mine
default_yes.gif

I support a business owner's right to voice his opinion on any topic.

I support the freedom of those who wish to boycott. Anyone who supports gay marriage has the right, perhaps the responsibility, to voice their opinions and put their money where their mouths are.

This business owner has made his choice and now must live by it.

I strongly disagree, however, with public officials suggesting that a legal organization cannot do business in their jurisdiction. They are within their rights as individuals to voice their opinions, but to use their positions to prevent someone from exercising their right to freedom of speech is simply wrong.

I agree susanne.

Didn't seem like business was down at Chick-fil-A today at lunch time... and I'm buying a new ride this evening and see Chick-Fil-A cups on lots of the desks in the showroom
default_biggrin.png

"I don't care about chicken, I care about my gay friends".

His words ARE discriminatory. The whole view is discriminatory. It is one issue that I absolutely can not tolerate the opposition to because it is 100% discrimatory and it hurts people. The man has put millions into anti-gay organizations, by the way. Again, he can say whatever he wants....and I will practice my freedom to say he's wrong.
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back