Tobiano or Overo???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
She does have a white splash on her belly. She also has 2 blue eyes. Would she be a tobianp or an overo I am unsure of the difference.

Thanks

overa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Splash overo, her off-centered face marking is indicative of that. But if you were breeding her to a LWO+ stallion, I'd definitely have her tested for frame, because she could be carrying it.

Anyways, Tobiano the white markings come more from the top, and it does not cause face white nor can it cause blue eyes. Overo the white comes from the bottom of the face, causes blue eyes but does not always have them, also causes face white.

to learn more, this is a good website: http://equinecolor.com/color.html

you know I need details Lea! How tall is she? Registered? In foal??? You know I adore blue eyes and black and white with wild facial makings!!! DETAILS PLEASE! Where did she come from?

Robin

Blue eyes indicate she has either Splash or Frame or both.

But, she also appears to be carrying Sabino. The jagged white markings on her legs that point upwards is a characteristic of Sabino.
default_yes.gif
Pretty mare.

My vote is frame (lwo) I have a simular marked mare that is from the Rowdy line. She too has a facial marking that is offset and does not cover both eyes. One eye is blue the other is brown because of it.

I would definatly test her before breeding. My mare had been bred to another frame prior to my getting her and had a lethal foal that died. The previous owner did not think to test her as her markings were so minimal.

The presence of Splash does not preclude the presence of Frame.

I agree the offset face marking is typical of Splash, as is the four white legs (Frame loses the white legs first when going to minimal)

I would definitely test her, though.

Although not proven yet, Tobiano is strongly believed to negate white face markings.

A horse can have ALL patterns, BTW, so this horse could have Tobi+Splash+Frame+ Sabino!!!!

It is best just to test, that way there are no questions. I don't think the mare shows any frame characteristics besides the blue eyes. The face markings could be caused by either splash or sabino. Frames(if they don't carry other pinto patterns, usually don't have white on their legs at all, but mixed with other patterns, it can all change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I have never seen a lopsided face marking like that ever caused by Sabino!!!

Splash causes lopsided face markings, Sabino causes very even ones.

BUT all patterns can be present.

Latest posts

Back