To Quarantine or Not to Quarantine

• Thread starter Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too

My friend and I have been discussing (not arguing
smile.gif
) why or why not to quarantine a new arrival at a barn. PLEASE NOTE: We are not soliciting medical advice, this question is strictly equine management-related.

How far away does the newcomer need to be from the herd for the quarantine to be effective?

What about horse shows?

How can horses be protected from airborne disease or contagions carried in? Possible? Not?

Our horses are vaccinated, except for strangles which has relatively short-lived immunity anyway. Do we need to/need not worry? If so, what should we consider?

Thanks

Our vet told us 3 weeks. So that is what we did. That's about all I can share about it
rolleyes.gif

I agree that airborn things will get to your herd no matter if you seperate or not.. unless they are huge amounts away like acres and acres.

Many other dieases can be carried by flies.

I will have to say MOST of the time i dont just due to the stress on the new horse if being totally away from everyone else and far enough to not see anyone else either (which they need to be really to do much good)

I often dont put them right out with the herd but next to the herd more for socialization issues then anything else.

I do bleach my stalls at shows though

Last edited:
Well I just learnt the hard way - had a group of 3 horses come in here and even though I knew better after a couple of days I put my mare and my gelding out with the 3. BAD idea. On top of that they were in the next field to my full size horses and could touch nose to nose through the fence, again BAD idea. They ALL ended up with snotty noses, runny eyes, had to treat ALL of them. Next time I will listen to my HEAD more like I knew in the first place. When getting a new horse(s) in don't take the chance, keep them seperate for at least 2 weeks and NOT where they can go nose to nose and "share" any virus they may have.

Well when I bought a mare at an auction I quarrentiened her for 2 weeks, and at shows I lysol down the stalls, (lysol says it kills most air born bacteria)

I always do 3 weeks isolation as my vet suggested.Many years ago I had 2 mares with foals by side at a breeding/training farm in KY.This trainer had horses at the nationals in VA.Took home the bug that was going around&when I picked up my mares I guess they were carrying the bug&so were the babies.(I didn't isolate newcomers then)The babies were really sick&had to have the vet daily for several weeks.My grandaughter's yearling filly ended up at the University vet hospital with pneumonia.After almost 5 months of vet calls and several thousand dollars(almost $4000) later in vet bills, the bug was finally out of my herd.I have some horses coming back soon&they will be isolated.I have a new building for tractors down the back lane&it has isolation stalls in it. 3 weeks in it for anything coming in.When I didn't have the building I put the newcomers as far away from the others as possible and always feed them last&washed my hands with bleach after touching them. I think there are many people guilty of taking sich horses to a show with little regard for the well being of other animals.I have cancelled shows due to a sick animal.Just not worth spreading something.Good luck&healthy horses.

Sometimes I quaranteen sometimes I don't. First...it depends on who owns the horse. Do I know them , how are their horses etc. Second WHO is transporting them. If it is a commercial hauler..they are separated for at least 2 wks. IF it is a trailer that has come from Nationals and such I will quaranteen for at least 2 weeks.

Separation is so stressful for a new horse. I generally try to put them next to the herd and incorporate them as soon as possible. Really depends on so very much. Many times I will do a Naxcel shot on a new horse as well as probios. I wish you well horses.

If I have bought from a place where all the horses are healthy and well taken care of, I usually just isolate them for a week to 10 days. If I ever bought from an auction I would definitely isolate for at least 3 weeks. Since we are always exposing our horses to other horses, if we go to shows, expos, driving clinics etc. we just have to use common sense because there is always a risk of bringing in something undesirable. JMHO

I think it depends on the situation. Horses that are exposed to a lot of showing are at risk despite the vaccinations in my opinon. Horses that are on transport for a long time are at risk too. Horses that are coming from an auction are most definately at a risk.

I have I guess what you would call a "closed" barn and I don't like horses running in and out of here like at a boarding stable where horses are coming and going left and right to shows and the like. When someone stops by on horseback or with a mule team I meet them in the road. I don't want them in here near my fence.

I think that if they are going to get sick it would originate on the tranport and usually come under the form of good old shipping fever. You can't help that a lot of times.

Must keep in mind that horses can become ill just from the stress of transport, and the weather going from one climate to another just like we can.

So I do keep any new ones where they cannot be nose to nose with another horse and make physical contact for about 3 weeks. I don't have another separate place to make a real quarentine far away from the others, so I just do the best I can and not directly expose the new horse to the others for that time frame and keep him in his own paddock. Gives me time to go one on one and form a bond too. I'm going to be babysitting a very special horse for a very special someone very soon and I don't expect any problems at all. I know the horse is from a clean herd so you just do your best and be attentive. It's just common sense and keeping an eye on things.

after our fiasco last winter i know go by my vets recommendation which is a full 30 days quarantine. IT sucks but its better then having an entire herd of sick horses!!! I had only quarantined the new horse for 2 weeks which was not long enough.

It doesnt matter what farm they come from and how healthy you think they are. My theory is that horses that get shipped (especially weanlings and yearlings) get so stressed that they come down with illness that they probably wouldnt have if they had not been moved. I have never purchased an older horse (over 2) and have it get sick

We have never (knock on wood) brought back illness from a show. It is always when we bring a new horse in.

Buckskin gal said:
If I have bought from a place where all the horses are healthy and well taken care of,  I usually just isolate them for a week to 10 days. If I ever bought from an auction I would definitely isolate for at least 3 weeks. Since we are always exposing our horses to other horses, if we go to shows, expos, driving clinics etc. we just have to use common sense because there is always a risk of bringing in something undesirable. JMHO
477015[/snapback]

This pretty much what I do, too.

How many change and disinfect shoes after visiting another farm, auction or show? Wash hands between feeding the "quarantined ones" and the rest of the herd? Guess I'm not committed to "doing it all the way" so don't quarantine.

How many change and disinfect shoes after visiting another farm, auction or show? Wash hands between feeding the "quarantined ones" and the rest of the herd?
Not only wash your hands after, but change your clothes.This is a good point, unless you are willing to do all of this also, it is pointless to do any of it! My vet told me to feed and water our quarentined horse AFTER feeding everyone else. YOU are usually the one that will carry a bug from one horse to the next.

Back