To go with all the other color threads...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine it would "hide" in any red-based color: sorrel/chestnut, palomino, red dun, red roan (strawberry roan), cremello.

It would be difficult to detect in: perlino, smokey cream, true grey (although, I've read that true gray and silver combined go white very quickly, often at already white at birth).

Yep, true gray with silver turns gray very quickly, but once that happens of course, the silver gene is well hidden! Our gray frame overo mare hides the silver gene, agouti, EE (she is homozygous for black), and LWO+ pretty well. She wasn't white at birth (I was told) but was white for her weanling registration pics.

It wouldn't be visible on sorrel, palomino, cremello, perlino. A lot of people don't think they see it on silver bays... and if the pinto white falls "just right" it really can hide pretty good...

One thing that can give the presence of silver away in a red based horse is the stripped hooves, many silvers have stripped feet similar to Appy.

Latest posts

Back