To go on from the God thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't read that whole other thread at all. I just want to see what people think.

You know what I will never understand? When someone that believes in God loses their faith or gets angry with God for either "taking" away a loved one or making someone's life hard. God has nothing to do with it. People die. Shouldn't people take comfort that their loved one is now with God? Also, conflict is a part of life and helps a person grow and learn. I firmly believe that our life here on Earth is a mere blip in terms of our real, spiritual lives. It's just a test. A BIG complicated test
default_wink.png
Suffering and death is a part of that test; how you look at it, how you deal with it.

We've been non physical entities before, and we'll be that again. We are energy, a part of the universe. I don't know if what I believe in would be labelled "God", but I certainly believe in a higher power and that heaven and heck reside within us (not "up there" or "down there", literally).

Matt, what you just said is very much my perspective as well... so I've got to say "Well Said!!!"
default_smile.png

I do understand what you are saying and somewhat feel that way however I will also add it is somewhat easier to say that when you have not lost someone who is very close to you. We all expect at a certain time to lose a grandparent or parent however as a parent you never expect to lose a child whose life is not even barely begun. I can absolutly understand why something as horrific as that would have people of the strongest faith questioning their beliefs and trying to wrap their brain around why. Trying to deal with the intense hurt rather then the "glory" of their loved one being wherever they believe they go.

I can understand(having been there myself) how a child a victim of sexual abuse- physical abuse or well even an adult for that matter going thru the trauma of a kindnapping or a rape can question the belief of a "God" -sometimes life circumstances has even the strongest questioning their beliefs and the why in things and yes you are right for them H E L L has exisited right here on earth others are lucky enough to die without ever experiencing a day in H E L L on earth I think it is just luck of the draw, or perhaps life lessons not learned previously who knows why horrible things happen to great people and we all know horrible people who experience great things

I do agree it is what and how we deal with those horribly dark days that makes the difference some take years to be able to move on others perhaps sooner but again there is no right or wrong there just what happens for each individual.

well said, lisa.

until a person has suffered such a loss, there is no way that person can understand the grief. anger and the questioning of one's faith are distinct phases of grief. i believe in God, i believe there is Heaven and i believe that some day, i will be reunited with gary. if i did not believe i would see him again, i would see no point in living.

that being said, i know people meant well when they told me gary was "in a better place" but how could there BE a better place than right here, with me? "that" place won't be better until *I* get there!

people who haven't been through it think they understand loss. trust me, they do not.

To "blame" God when something bad happens is to believe that God is watching and controlling every move made by everybody on earth. If that were the case "bad" things would never happen to anyone. But, my belief is that when God gave Adam and Eve the gift of choice he gave it to us all. Bad things do happen. Bad people do exist. I've always felt that death is as much a part of life as living is. It comes to us all. I don't believe that people ever rejoice over the fact that a loved one is gone but that they perhaps find peace in knowing they're loved one wherever it is we believe that they go. We each have to deal with the tragedy of death in our own way. For me "believing" is a big part of dealing with it.

well said, lisa.
until a person has suffered such a loss, there is no way that person can understand the grief. anger and the questioning of one's faith are distinct phases of grief. i believe in God, i believe there is Heaven and i believe that some day, i will be reunited with gary. if i did not believe i would see him again, i would see no point in living.

that being said, i know people meant well when they told me gary was "in a better place" but how could there BE a better place than right here, with me? "that" place won't be better until *I* get there!

people who haven't been through it think they understand loss. trust me, they do not.

I totally see your point and mean not disrespect at all. And you're right, I haven't suffered a personal loss yet. My sister, who lives in boston, suffers from A.L.S. and is completely immobile. She has four young daughters. Yet, even she is not "angry" with God (although, I'm sure she has been at times). And I don't know how I'll feel when she dies. So, again, I mean no disrespect. I haven't lost anyone yet, but I've experienced a lot I could be angry with God for. But really, it all boils down to perspective.

On a bit of a tangent, what about people that claim that God saved them or their family members? I'm not saying we shouldn't feel grateful or blessed to have our loved ones with us, but the implication is that God specifically chose to save some and yet also specifically chose to let others die. I don't know how to word this so it won't be offensive, but I know this thought still plagues my grandmother whose father, husband, and brother all died as healthy middle-aged men. Every time she had to make that trip to the hospital, she would be surrounded by other families thanking God for saving their loved ones. I'm not saying no one should rejoice, but imagine being on the other end of that. Imagine that you lost all the people closest to you in life--good, honest and devout people that were happy in their lives--and then had to repeatedly hear that God was protecting and saving so many others. I'm sure most of the time people are just overwhelmed with relief, but sometimes there's almost a sense of entitlement.

Last edited by a moderator:
matt, please don't get me wrong. i wasn't blasting you at all! i'm sure your sister has gone through many emotions, ones you and i will never know. i cannot imagine what she is facing, bless her heart. until that time comes, you just won't be able to predict how you will feel.

i can honestly say that during the last 2 days of gary's illness, i reached the point of praying for peace for him, for God to finally take him. believe me, it was a mixed bag...praying for him to be at peace but at the same time, still praying for a miracle to make him well. as i watched a once healthy, robust man dwindle down to skin and bones and lose every ounce of dignity he ever had, i could not help but question God. i don't think i'm the only one to ever do so.
default_wink.png

RRTiff, i can relate to your post. many days while gary was getting chemo treatments, i would see other people who were farther along and doing well and expecting a cure. i often thought to myself how unfair that MY loved one should have to go through what he was going through while i knew all along he would die from this disease yet others were being cured. i used to feel terribly guilty and terribly selfish about having those feelings. should i not have been HAPPY for these people??

and then there are those times when i see child molesters, murderers, the scum of the earth who poison their bodies with drugs but come out smelling like a rose. why are THEY allowed to live when devout, wonderful, loving people have to die?

For whoever really believes that the Bible is the word of God, they truly must see that God didn't choose to make life easy for anyone. The Bible says God made all things possible [that would have to include death] so do people who believe in the God of the Bible accept what God hands out and continues to love him or or do you see the God of the Bible as being very spiteful when people do wrong? I lost my hubby just a year ago and today I am dealing with cancer...not an easy thing but If I am to believe there is a loving God I cannot hardly believe what the Bible says about the things he did and does. Love is forgiving and unconditional but the god of the Bible is punishing and puts his love with conditions. I think many people want a God who is understanding and gives uncondtional love and really decide for themselves what is easy to believe of Him rather than try to understand the God of the Bible. I don't blame a loving God for taking my hubby or even making it possible for me to be dealing with cancer. I think there are far more questions than there is answers when it comes to God so we just believe what we choose rather than what the Bible states for us to believe. I talk with God a lot and let him know that I have many questions as to why the world is a place for many innocent people to suffer. I hope that in an afterlife my questions will be answered but I know right now I have to deal with, what is. There definitely seems to be a lot of ways to think as to what the purpose of life is. Maybe the Serenity prayer is the answer, maybe the answer is to learn from our mistakes for without mistakes no one ever learns to live but then why torture ourselves when life will do that for us? Maybe the meaning of life is to make life meaningful. Mary

To be honest, I haven't read that whole other thread at all. I just want to see what people think. You know what I will never understand? When someone that believes in God loses their faith or gets angry with God for either "taking" away a loved one or making someone's life hard. God has nothing to do with it. People die. Shouldn't people take comfort that their loved one is now with God? Also, conflict is a part of life and helps a person grow and learn. I firmly believe that our life here on Earth is a mere blip in terms of our real, spiritual lives. It's just a test. A BIG complicated test
default_wink.png
Suffering and death is a part of that test; how you look at it, how you deal with it.

We've been non physical entities before, and we'll be that again. We are energy, a part of the universe. I don't know if what I believe in would be labelled "God", but I certainly believe in a higher power and that heaven and heck reside within us (not "up there" or "down there", literally).
Yes, I do see what you are saying, and I do agree.

It is human nature to want to blame, and of course there is a process we go through after

we loose someone so close to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt: I have burried my mother and my father. I have also burried my brother. I told myself all the well known cliches like "They are in a better place now" to make myself feel better. I handled it as best as I possibly could but loosing a child is so much different. The grief is torture, a constant daily pain I cannot describe. There are no feel good words.

You are not a mother who lost a child so this is beyond your comprehension and there is no greater love in this world. Any mother here will tell you that.

Unless you are a mother you cannot know or begin to understand my anger. No, God did not cause my boy to get run over. An already convicted murderer caused it, but God could have sent us some help, but Matt, nobody came. No paramedics, no cops, no matter how many times 911 was called while we were trying to hold his body parts together. They were too busy tending a little fender bender in town with no injuries while Michael laid there in pieces fighting to stay alive while we promised him help was coming and he was going to be ok. We were praying and calling out for God believe me and he didn't show up either. Anger? Sure, angry at everyone involved and that included God.

Michael had the most beautiful bright blue eyes that twinkled. All that that was left of his face were those bright eyes looking up with me with tears running down while Jerry held him in his arms. So yes Matt, God could have done something to help and being angry didn't even begin to cover it. Finding that faith again has been more than a difficult road and I wouldn't wish a test like that on anyone.

Matt: I have burried my mother and my father. I have also burried my brother. I told myself all the well known cliches like "They are in a better place now" to make myself feel better. I handled it as best as I possibly could but loosing a child is so much different. The grief is torture, a constant daily pain I cannot describe. There are no feel good words.
You are not a mother who lost a child so this is beyond your comprehension and there is no greater love in this world. Any mother here will tell you that.

Unless you are a mother you cannot know or begin to understand my anger. No, God did not cause my boy to get run over. An already convicted murderer caused it, but God could have sent us some help, but Matt, nobody came. No paramedics, no cops, no matter how many times 911 was called while we were trying to hold his body parts together. They were too busy tending a little fender bender in town with no injuries while Michael laid there in pieces fighting to stay alive while we promised him help was coming and he was going to be ok. We were praying and calling out for God believe me and he didn't show up either. Anger? Sure, angry at everyone involved and that included God.

Michael had the most beautiful bright blue eyes that twinkled. All that that was left of his face were those bright eyes looking up with me with tears running down while Jerry held him in his arms. So yes Matt, God could have done something to help and being angry didn't even begin to cover it. Finding that faith again has been more than a difficult road and I wouldn't wish a test like that on anyone.
HUGE HUG I'm done...

Marty ((((Many hugs))))

Matt I do see your point and I know you meant no hurt to anyone. I do think the goal for anyone who is experiencing any type of tramua in their life is to get to the point to be able to make peace with it and accept it as a part of life like you said- that does happen for most and we are all on different time tables in the meantime all we can do is show compassion and empathy and be grateful for what we do have on a daily basis.

...another HUGE (((((HUG))) for you Marty. I have also buried my Mother, Father, and brother, but cant even begin to comprehend on what it would be like to lose my hubby or one of our adult kids or grandkids.

Mary..Buckskin gal so sorry for your hard times l don't believe in a God in the traditional sense so am sending a BIG HUG your way....
default_saludando.gif

I had a very wise person tell me that we are here to walk a path and must return to correct the mistakes that we have made in the life that we are in now. An old soul is someone who has been here before and is making the journey again. A young soul is someone you might say to yourself has no common sense and has not made many journies down the path.

This person also told me that what you do to yourself or to others you will have to pay for on your next journey down the path. Example: Alcoholic, you might be plaqued with something so severe that you are in a wheelchair in your next life. You have to pay for what you do now.

This person also said that any animal you ask to wait for you on the other side, will be there waiting when you arrive and that you will be together again in another life time. The soul comes back, just in a different "shell".

The spirits of your loved ones are always around you, protecting you and guiding you. If you have ever had deja vu, this is your soul remembering a flash in your past life.

Of course, we believe what we feel is the best fit for ourselves, be it a God, Alla or whomever.

There are many beliefs, but in the end I think it comes down to just being the best person you can be, treating people the way you want to be treated, understanding and being patient with people you deal with and trying to improve your overall outlook on life, because it is way too short.

Thank you for the hug for hugs are so wonderful to receive. We all have callenges to deal with in our life time and I believe they can make us stronger if we want it that way. Really makes me appreciate all the wonders of living even more. Hugs to you too, Mary

Mary..Buckskin gal so sorry for your hard times l don't believe in a God in the traditional sense so am sending a BIG HUG your way....
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back