To geld or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new driving prospect. He is 9 years old. He has been used for breeding but, imo, should not be used because of a few inheritable flaws. (No horse is perfect, I know, but some things can be considered.) He is so well mannered and calm, I am questioning whether to geld.

Pros for gelding: don't have to worry if I want to be with drivers of mares, cheaper to register, no risk for his faults to go back to the gene pool

For those of you who drive stallions, can you give me your experience? He is not an alpha horse, but I am very pleased with his presence and his apparent confidence. Will gelding affect that?

It's a significant decision and I want to do what's best for him and me.

I have always gelded any stallions, but this guy is so calm it doesn't seem like a case of "have to".

We have 5 stallions that we drive. They have all been used for breeding and will continue to be used there. All 5 knew when it's time to work that's the only thing that will be thought about. They don't talk, they don't strut excessively, and they darn sure don't drop. Most of the time nobody realizes they are stallions. We have 1 gelding that was gelded mostly due to his attitude with other horses. He is still over the top and won't back down to the other stallions. He even treats the mares as if he were still a stallion. Our 1 other gelding was gelded so he could be a kids show horse. He is very respectful but still spunky. If there is mischief in the barnyard you can bet he a had part in it. He drives single or as a pair, in the arena, the trails, or hazards course. I've not seen gelding one change their core personality. It may take the edge off or change focus but not much else.

My uncle had a breeding stallion that he used to drive and the horse was very well behaved. I used to handle him when I was a teen. He was a Morgan not a mini, but a horse is a horse.

My Peanut was gelded late and seems to have completely retained his macho "spark", I believe covered a few mares before being gelded.

If you are happy with the way he is, you could always wait a bit and see if his attitude changes or remains steady once he has acclimated to his new routine.

With the pros and cons you've listed to gelding, and whenever someone is even considering it, I recommend gelding. It won't change his personality, which is ingrained in him.

I've told this story before and will post it again..........It's about a "big horse" vet who was ready to retire. He was asked if he ever thought gelding a horse was a mistake. He replied, "With the gelding many hundreds of stallions I've cut, I believe only about six of them shouldn't have been."

I drive a pair of stallions at the wheel position with different mares in front of them. They know their job and do it with just a little reminder now and again. I have one I gelded 4-5 years ago at 10-12 years old and he is okay driving or tied (even was as a stallion), however his private time he is worse now then any stallion I've ever owned. On the other side of that, the other one I had gelded at the same time is the picture perfect gelding.

Thank you for your insights.

His gelding appt is next Friday. However, the dentist is coming Tuesday or Wednesday. If he has a lot of work done and I feel it is too much, I will postpone his gelding appt. Between dentist, farrier, and possible gelding, he will have a busy week!

As he is getting better feed and getting more comfortable here, he is not quite as docile as at first. Still very nicely mannered, however.

Just don't forget that while the swimmers will no longer be produced as soon as he is cut, and any left in the accessory organ will be expelled or dead within a month; it takes time for the hormones and attitude to wane. They say it takes a month for every year of age for calming/settling after gelding, and of course some take longer. It's good that you are getting it done in the fall, as that's when mare's hormones are at their lowest, so hopefully, he'll be well settled as a gelding before spring and hormonal rises in the neighbor's mares.

The deed was done today. I left him at the vet this morning; he said he would call me when Buckly was ready to come home. Since he is an older horse, vet wanted to watch him for a while. All seems well. He is home, enjoying grazing and his extra alfalfa ration.

Also had him show me where the microchip is on Buckly. It is on the left side under the mane.

Now I can get all the transfer paperwork sent in.

I did do it by the moon, for what that is worth.

Glad to know all is well. I debated with both Major and Pistol and ended up having both done. The nice thing is I can house both of them with almost anyone now and I don't have to worry about "surprises". Now I can turn all 4 out together and they can be a herd.

Tell me about this "by the moon" thing. I know I can tell if it's a full moon based on how my client dogs behave that's for sure!

I don't really understand the moon signs. I just go to the Farmers Almanac site and see what the dates are. It's complicated, I think. For castration in November it was the waning moon, so the opposite time to do it would be a full moon. I have a friend who home cares a handicapped adult; she keeps close tabs on the moon and modifies her client's meds accordingly. Since our bodies are mostly water, and the moon controls the tides, there must be something to it...

Latest posts

Back