To Clip the Mini or Not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatNerdInATractor

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Super new to the forum, but hoping to learn a lot here!!

I am also new to the topic of clipping, but i am thinking my mini Cowboy needs clipped.

Right now our weather has been going from one extreme to the other. We will go a week with a high of 25 and a low of 10, then the next week have a high of almost 50 and a low of 40. It shows no signs of stopping this.

My mini of course has gone into mammoth mode when it comes to fur. Easily 5 or 6 inches worth of hair. He looks like a fluff ball out in the field.

So when we get these weeks of warm weather the poor guy just sweats. I mean just roaming around the field and standing has him almost dripping i feel horrible to him. With that much hair it is almost impossible to get him cooled our or dried off easily.

He is outside 100%, we do not have a barn but we do have wind breaks and trees.

He has blankets as well, just in case but i have never used them on him.

I am debating on clipping him. I feel horrible that he sweats out there as much as he does when it is hot. I can keep him bundled up for when it is cold. I am just not sure, i have never had clipped horses i normally just make due with the fluff. but they are not out sweating at a stand still.

Should i just go for it? Any tips for clipping for the first time? Thanks all!!

Where are you located? How severe is your winter weather? And, how long does it last? How old is your mini?

I am in central Washington state. Our winters are typically this up and down swings in temperature, little snow but wind is normal. Cold weather normally lasts to thr end of march however last winter went into April and was very abnormal.

Cowboy Is estimated between 8-10 years.

I wouldn't clip him until spring. If he is outside with no protection, and it gets cold, that could lead to hypothermia. It might be uncomfortable for him to bear a warm spell,but it isn't a summer warm. The ground is still going to be cold. You might offer him ice blocks. Or very cold water on a warm day.

My yak will sometimes sweat in the winter here also. And I get very impatient with all that fur. But no way would I clip him. I've thought of just clipping the belly and chest area, but then we get another cold spell and I'm glad I didn't. As long as he has some shade for the warm days.

My yak will sometimes sweat in the winter here also. And I get very impatient with all that fur. But no way would I clip him. I've thought of just clipping the belly and chest area, but then we get another cold spell and I'm glad I didn't. As long as he has some shade for the warm days.
You have a yak! Damn girl! Please post pictures because that is so cool.

Oh! I thought you had an actual yak,lol! I told my whole family about your yak. I think Dapper Dan is better than a yak any day! However if you ever do procure an actual yak,pictures please.
Well, he also looks like a small buffalo. If I ever get a real yak or a real buffalo I'll be sure to share!

If you have a set of dog or people clippers, with the blade guards....you could do a little bit of a trace clip leaving the hair an inch or so long. I wouldn't clip down to the skin. But if you shorten the hair on the underside of the neck and chest a bit it may help prevent overheating. And if he does sweat it will dry a little more quickly. We are having the wild weather swings here too but mine are all pretty light on hair this year.

My cully is the hairiest he has ever been, but so far we have had a mild winter. Yesterday was the first really cold day. The trash pandas, and foxes are also hairier than usual. I haven't seen many deer,or skunks. Maybe we are in for it next month.

Mine are all mini Yaks right now too. I feel your pain. I love when it's finally clipping season. It's hard for me because the horses move South for the winter and it's so tempting to clip them in March/April. But I know when they come back up north they will be cold. I end up clipping in late May/early June after our cold spring rains. Remember those thick wooly coats keep them dry during spring rain storms. Even when they are dripping water they are usually dry underneath and down close to their skin.

I clip my minis all winter long, because they're working hard and they get breathing issues whit than fur. Usually, I start with clipping the throat/neck/breast and a part of the belly. When they're sweating or breathing too hard at work with that pattern, I continue part by part until they're full clipped. I clip as much as necessary and as little as possible. Last clip was in November/December and they have an almost full clip actually. Next clip will be in March or April, it depends on the horses breathability while working.
I would never full clip a non-working horse in winter without any health reason.

Yikes. I started on Dapper Dan today. What a mess. I wonder if I will ever get him smooth and less like a zebra?
If you are warm enough, bathe, then clip again.
I dirty clip in the spring, if necessary, with my Clipmasters, so leave clipper tracks all over. Once the worst of the hair is off, it's easier to bathe and reclip to get rid of the tracks. [I rarely worry about the tracks, as they usually finish shedding before I have time for a bath and reclip.]

If you are warm enough, bathe, then clip again.
I dirty clip in the spring, if necessary, with my Clipmasters, so leave clipper tracks all over. Once the worst of the hair is off, it's easier to bathe and reclip to get rid of the tracks. [I rarely worry about the tracks, as they usually finish shedding before I have time for a bath and reclip.]
That's a good idea about clipping dirty, then they don't have to be wet forever drying with that big coat. I would love to be able to get them used to my power blower first to blow the dirt out before clipping. It is my most favorite grooming tool I use with my Gypsy horses, but they don't give it any mind at all, neither do the foals in most cases, but I know these Minis will be a lot more sensitive to it, except for maybe my red filly LOL she will pretty much stop in her tracks if she thinks you're going to do anything that will make her pretty LOL

Latest posts

Back