Tire care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got my cart out the other day, the tires were a little low. When I was airing up one, I noticed the valve stem was crooked. Evidently the pressure got low enough to move the tube a little. I knew better than to air up the tire with the valve stem crooked, but I was all psyched to drive. I tried letting the air out and repositioning the valve stem, but no luck. So I aired it up and drove.
The next day, that tire was flat, so I was pretty sure I had ruined the tube. Husband took off the tire, removed the tube, and checked for thorns/ valve stem damage. Lucky for me all was okay. I did run through some goatheads, but checked the tire when I got home so I wouldn't carry them into the yard. Evidently a goathead did pierce the tube, but the Slime healed the puncture.
But, keeping proper inflation on the tires will make the tubes last a lot longer. I'm bad about just taking off without checking tires. Every flat I've had was due to damaged valve stem.
I was lucky with the valve stem this time. It's important to keep the tubes at the proper inflation. (If I didn't have someone to change my tires for me, I'd be more diligent.)

Good advice. I was constantly battling flat tires with my old cart, so I went with flat free on my new one. I believe they have foam in them. Will definitely use Slime when I refurbish the old cart. I saw the other day Slime makes a strip to go into the tire between the tire and the tube. Have you seen or use them? All four of my Gator tires have Slime in them, it's the only way I can keep air in them.

Good advice. I was constantly battling flat tires with my old cart, so I went with flat free on my new one. I believe they have foam in them. Will definitely use Slime when I refurbish the old cart. I saw the other day Slime makes a strip to go into the tire between the tire and the tube. Have you seen or use them? All four of my Gator tires have Slime in them, it's the only way I can keep air in them.
That may be a strip of Kevlar. My new electric bicycle has that in the tires, plus Slime.
I use heavy duty tubes with Slime and never have a problem, even with mesquite thorns--unless I don't keep the tire pressure up and the valve stem fails.

Latest posts

Back