Tips/Suggestions on how to come up with registered names

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
We're coming soon to where we need to sort out the registered names for our foals, however i don't even know where to begin with deciding on what they should be. Our breeder has his stable name at the start and then the rest has been left up to us.
default_unsure.png

How do you do this? should you take some of the sire/dams names into consideration, or just come up with something creative
default_laugh.png
I'm not even sure if we'll ever get to showing them but they were bought registered so they'll be registered
default_wink.png

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're coming soon to where we need to sort out the registered names for our foals, however i don't even know where to begin with deciding on what they should be. Our breeder has his stable name at the start and then the rest has been left up to us.
default_unsure.png

How do you do this? should you take some of the sire/dams names into consideration, or just come up with something creative
default_laugh.png
I'm not even sure if we'll ever get to showing them but they were bought registered so they'll be registered
default_wink.png

Thanks for your input.
How fun. Some people play off the papers specially if the sire or dam are well known I would say it is personal preference.

I enjoy watching them and seeing what fit their looks and character etc. I like using my dictionary and my favorite is the thesaurus.

G@@D Luck it's all fun!

Dez

I always use my farm prefix and then the sire's name and sometimes something from the dam's name.sometimes it depends on the personality of the foal.EXAMPLE sire Brewers Classic Starmaker dam Rocking JM SSA Unique Refelction filly is KNOLLACS UNIQUE STARMAKER barn name STAR

sire Brewers Classic Starmaker dam Rocking JM SSA Unique Reflection colt Knollac Starmakers NOTTA reflection because he definitely did not look like mama.barn name Notta another full brother was Knollac Starmakers Phantom Opera because he had a face that is half black and half white-barn name Phantom

Have fun with the names

If I understand your post, the breeder has filled in his prefix and you have to add the rest of the registered name?

You can certainly look at the sire and dam names and see if you can play off of them for a new name.

But whatever you do, please give it some serious thought.

Feel free to post their photos and the prefix, sire and dams names etc. If you need some inspiration from the forum members.

This group has come up with some great names over the years!

There are lots and lots of ways of doing this and we ourselves have only named 2 foals!

Some people try to include parts of the sire and/or dams' names. This can produce some pretty long names.

Some people think about how it will sound over the PA system if it is a show horse or race horse.

Some people get cute with spelling....

With a farm prefix, you have a lot more flexibility, because you don't have to worry so much about using a name no one else has. For example, you could just pick a name like Star, or King, or Princess, and add the farm prefix, and you are done.

So far, we have used names that go along with our farm name, which is On Target Miniatures (not sure how long that will last!). So something to do with shooting or targets...

Our stallion, who we named with someone else's prefix, is SRF Buckshot. Not only does it have the shooting theme, but his sire is "Buccaneer" and his dam's prefix is "Buck-on" and he has Buckeroo in his pedigree.

His son is OTM Maximum Firepower (our prefix, shooting theme, and barn name "Max").

Have fun!

It depends. For me, if I get to name a foal from another breeder's farm, I might want to include part of the sire's name if he's well known.

For our own foals, I keep a list and just record names as they come to me for future crosses. I usually have several names picked out and planned for use depending on what foals we have coming up
default_smile.png

One thing a farm in my area oes, that i thougt might be a good idea, is she narrows things down by having themes, every year is a different letter, and it goes in alphabetical order,(year one A, year two B, etc), like for example one year she had two foals, Piper Ridge Limerick and Piper Ridge LOwry, etc...

We usually just make sure the foals name begins with the same letter as the dams name. Sometimes we incorporate the sires name or another horse in the pedigree, but that's just an occasional thing. We have a list of names for each of our broodmares and then when they foal we go through the list to see if any of the names seem like they'd fit. Otherwise we get creative! One of our mares foals only gets native american names-another one just flower names. The first time we finally got a little buckskin filly, we name her Ahmen. This year we finally got a loud blanketed appy colt that is exactly what we want all of our appys to look like-his name is Jackpot. Don't worry about names too much...9 times out of 10 the foal names themself
default_smile.png

Since you don't have to worry about a prefix make sure the last word in the name is not already on the suffix list that you can't use. I didn' even give it a thought when naming one of mine and I couldn't use my first choice and AMHR went with my second which I hate, I have no idea what I was thinking when I came up with it.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Well you can see it will be personal preference!!!

I personally don't like long registered names, I don't want a farm name on there and I don't want it to reference their bloodlines. I just want the horse to stand on its own.

I register my foals with one-word names. Of course, lots are already taken but since it's not the norm, there are plenty to choose from!

I registered my first-ever colt as:

"Zoolander" (named after the movie of the same title)

I think "Zoolander" is way better than what I could have gone with.... maybe something like "BlackDraft Minis California Tattoo For A Buck" I mean what IS that?
default_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, think of a name that fits your horse. If you want to name them "My Little Dove" versus "Blah Farms Minis Little Dove Dancer" or something that's up to you!

Have fun!

Andrea

A lady that worked for me on one of the TB horse farms said she had it figured out. All the owners get together, smoke pot, drink liquor, and at the end of the evening, just start putting down names. The thing is, it's your horse to name, so just have fun.

I have a Loooonnnnggg list of possible foal names probably more than i will ever use and seems like every year i come up with more names that arent on the list. When ever a name crosses my mind that i like i write it down. I have them listed in categorys names for colors, spanish names, western names ...... I put a lot of thought into my names. They all start with Skylight though its a great way to market the farm. If some one really likes the horse they know where to go to get another one like it.
default_smile.png
I have made a few names that matched sire and dam and a few that when on pedigrees etc... Most of the time my barn names has nothing to do with the registered name. Grace's registered name is Skylight's Dun Rose Wild. Now she is a dun but her sire was also named Checkmates dun e boy which i hated so i called him Rico. I had a name picked out for Glory she was going to be Morning Dove as a indian name but then she came out solid and not pinto
default_new_shocked.gif
Her star looked like a morning glory flower so she got the name skylights morning glory. Her mom's name is herkos white dove.

I had a stallion named Romeo and i bred him to sugar if it was a colt i was going to name him skylights Sugar boy Romaro but if it was a girl it would be Diva Dulce cuz Sugar acts like a diva and dulce means sweet, well turned out to be a girl but she didnt make it.
default_no.gif

Mostly i look for names that flows smoothly. Another name i like is Skylight's Katalina. Mostly i just wait untill the foal is born and i go by their personality and color and somehow a name just comes to me. Skylights setting fancy free was an easy one to name she was born 6 weeks early and came out practically running.
default_biggrin.png
Her first steps were a trot after she was about 15 mins old wore her poor mom slap out. Shot of Amber was a palomino filly. Lakota warrior was named cuz he had a difficult birth and he's pinto. Skylight's Rebel Yell was chestnut with stockings and a blaze with 2 blue eyes red white and blue and he was very vocal. Tika Lynn well she's a grullo which is a black dun so i thought Tika sounded like a good name for a black horse and Lynn was the only thing i could come up with to match if you say it fast it sounds almost like ticklin. :p Sheila brandy was a chestnut loved that name combo its fun to say too. bambi boy i was thinking he'd app out eventually. My friend wanted to call him little foot cuz his blaze looked like a persons bare foot print with out the toes. Charro was charcole looking when he was born. He was a black just started out greyish he had a huge star. A charro is a decked out mexican cow boy
default_biggrin.png
. And is also the name of an elvis movie. Dixie Darlin was a my first foal she was a silver dapple pinto. Dream Girl was easy cuz she's my first buckskin pinto which i've been dreaming of owning one for years..Skylights Sunset Shadow was born at sunset and came out a orangey red color which later lightened up to palomino and her mom's reg name was ultra misty shadow. Sunset Shadow was the only foal i named before she was born and actually kept the name it was incredible about 6pm that name came to be from no where went out side to feed and at 7pm she was born it was amazzing how the name totally fit. Her barn name though was Reina which means Queen she bossed her mom around i called her mom princess.
default_rolleyes.gif

Theres no set rule of thumb just go with what name you think of when you look at your horse and i'm sure you'll come up with a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
We usually have some names figured out ahead of time....the out pops the baby and a different names comes to mind
default_yes.gif

Sometimes its the first words somebody says after they are born...

For example: Our blk pintos first baby looked exactly like him ..."Wow, who's your daddy little fellow?" and we ended up calling him "Who's Yer Daddy"

Its nice to spend the long winter days thinking of names, but dont be afraid to change your mind if something else pops in your head before registration time comes around.

We also have hundreds of names in a file. I am amazed when a foal is born and we go through all the lists and still can not find the "right" one.

We ususally throw out all the initial names after the foal is born and then start some hard thinking. We have a clip board outside the stall and within a day or so we list possible names.

We delete names as we go along and finally come up with the one we think is the best.

We also are not fond of really long names.

Latest posts

Back