Tips from those with experience with Disabilities for showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
It looks like I am going to have a permanent disability making it hard to negotiate uneven surfaces (grass, arena compositions, etc.). Walking on hard surfaces is not bad, but my ankle is somewhat stiff and it and my toe area sometimes hurt or ache; making me somewhat unstable. I cannot jog or run period. Not flexible enough or steady. So this is going to make showing in halter, obstacle, etc. difficult. I still would like to do it. How to those of you (or members of your family) work with this type of problem and how do you work with your horse(s) to be able to do it.

Also, I am an adult and there are not too many shows in this area that offer many COOL classes. If I am reading the rule book correctly, I believe I can still participate in the regular classes with allowances-as long as the horse trots when neccesary, etc. - correct? And I am allowed a header in all the driving classes too? How do I make known at each show that I need these allowances?

I dont have experience with disability but things I think you could try doing to help you in the classes would be to work with your horses on making sure they stay with you, if they get ahead they should slow down and stay with you at their shoulder, you should be able to teach them to trot slower with you for obstacle especially, you may want to have them trot more freely if possible in halter but I feel keeping them with you more would be safer in several ways. They are fully capable of trotting slower and staying with you so that you can still have a trot for a pattern without having to run to keep up. The good news is on obstacle especially and also showmanship, being speedy isnt a good thing, it is better to take your time and make all movements sharp and clean so going slowly and carefully may be in your favor there. I have seen several people with mobility issues that get along great with their horses showing in all events and with enough handling and training the horses really seem to learn what is expected of them and do great once they understand what is being needed of them.

Also teach to set off the halter rather than having to set legs and everything, makes life a lot easier and looks better too.

As far as having a header, proper show procedure they should ALWAYS ask for headers in even if there arent any needed! I was at a show recently where they did not ask for them and I wanted one as I had never driven my horse at a show before and just felt safer, I ended up having to ask the judge to get my header allowed in. I would just check with the steward at shows or show management to make sure they are going to ask for headers in and if they dont, simply speak up and ask the judge or steward to have them announced to enter.

Performancemini thanks so much for starting this thread. I had a total knee replacement two years ago and gave up riding and showing my QHs to switch over to minis and driving but the show "bug" is still in me, hard to lose that competitive spirit! I so want to show in some of the in hand classes at the AMHA shows because I enjoy those types of classes but have been extremely hesitant because I cannot jog even slowly with my horses and I'm unbalanced too on uneven ground. I don't believe AMHA offers the COOL classes so I will have to participate in the ammy classes with everyone else so I'll be eagerly following this thread hoping that other folks chime in with what works for them and their horses.

I show against (and lose to frequently!) the nicest lady ever that has 2 fake knees. She just pops her hands forward a little, and her horse trots right next to her even though she doesn't really truly run. Not sure how she did it, but she is still ridiculously competitive in showmanship!

I have really bad post concussion syndrome - I LIVE in sunglasses about. I communicated that to the judges one show - none had a problem with it.

Latest posts

Back