Tips for a bratty colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwharrie

Reaction score
Little Mr. Keeper is turning out to be quite the little brat. I know it may be cute and harmless right now but I sure don't want the same behavior in an adult ( or even adolescent)

What started out as nibbling has turned into nipping and coming at folks mouth open like a shark, yes cute when he had no teeth, but even milk teeth hurt on bare skin! Now he has taken to rearing up and striking. He is not doing this in a mean way,it is no different than he does with his 1/2 brother so i am thinking he is just treating us like one of the horses. But I know this is not acceptable to do to a human.

Not sure what correction is best for this behavior, my initial thought would be a loud NO and pop on the nose?

I would never hit a horse in the face, even on the nose. If he is the sensitive sort, a firm "NO!" and a good bump on the lead should be enough to make him quit the rearing. If that doesn't get results for you, then a good slap on the chest or shoulder with the open hand can also do the trick.

As for the biting, if you are hand feeding him anything at all: snacks, grass, carrots, or whatever--STOP! Never, ever,ever hand feed your horses, it creates issues. If he's biting in the halter, do the same as above for rearing. If that doesn't do it, then hold a whip in your hand with the handle end up. Don't move it toward him. If he swings around to bite you, make sure he hits the handle of the whip with his mouth and not you. Again, don't move the whip, just be in position and ready so he does it to himself. With consistancy, it will make him stop.

If it is going on in the turnout with his buddies and it isn't causing you problems, then let them play. If it is, then I'd separate them for a while. Basically put him in 'time out' for a few weeks and let him live solo. Don't handle him in the paddock without a halter and lead on until you get on top of te problem. As soon as you walk into the pen, halter him right away so that you can correct him, should he try to be silly.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck, both of these problems are tough to fix and potentially dangerousl. Good for you for acting quickly to get it to stop.

Ah, the age old debate of handfeeding versus not!
default_biggrin.png
As a clicker trainer I use handfeeding a LOT and always have. My horses all know better than to get nippy over food, mug my pockets or otherwise display bad food-related manners because I have taught them firmly that there are rules and they won't get goodies if they don't act respectful. I am boss mare and there is no doubt about it.
default_xkngt.gif

What this colt is doing is all about thinking he's King of the World and pushing people around like he would fellow horses. I certainly wouldn't be giving this guy any goodies during this time but I don't feel it's the root of the problem, just not a good idea.
default_whistling.gif
He hasn't earned any, for one thing!
default_laugh.png
Naughty little boy.

I'll be interested to see what the replies are from experienced foal-raisers as I have adult horses who've tried this with me but I'm not sure how you'd handle it with a foal. For the rearing I think I'd catch his hooves and hold him up until he looked bewildered and wanted down then let him go and wait to see if he got the point.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Learn some clicker training, they teach a lot of neat stuff to you on how to teach your horse. Peggy Hogan or Alexandra Kurland. I use Giddyupflix to rent videos to learn different things. Personally I use Clinton Anderson, I use his kid size tools for the minis, and what you want to do is move that colt's feet. That is how they establish dominance, and that is how you will. Forward, backward, left and right. Especially for biting and rearing. Works on my little stud who will be 1 year soon, and he is a sweetheart. You will lose at the game of who can hit and who can run first. Whoever moves first loses, so make the horse move first. Too keep him from biting after you have moved his feet, make him stand quietly 4 feet form you, or tie him to think about it. His video Foals, Weanlings, and Yearlings would be a very good start. Rent it.

You treat a foal as you would an adult, just less physically, be aware that they can lose their air fast and don't run them in circles. That video is very good, try it, it will show you a lot of ways to handle colts that will last a lifetime.

Actually I do a lot of the things the two previous posters said, clicker training on top of CA training, time outs solo is a big one for my boys, and they gave good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your colt imho is exhibiting colt behaviour. Some of the suggestions are good. I don't feed treats to that young of stock. I don't introduce treats until they are well after 1 yr.

I would never hit a horse in the mouth or face. I have used the open hand popping with a loud "NO!" and that has caught their attention.

I have one right now who thinks its fun to scratch you back if you sratch him, only, his teeth came in a couple days ago and that hurts. So now I have to teach him to not scratch people. I have been clicking him with a snap of my fingers on his mouth and that has caught his attention.

I would get his halter on him and teach him some respect. He doesn't understand his boundaries and as he gets bigger, he will be a worse bigger baby.

Hand feeding horses isn't a problem if you teach them to respect what you are doing.

Since I know the colt is only a couple of weeks old, I doubt he is getting treats of any kind.

I would treat him just like a herd mare would, if he rears at you, go at him instead of away and use a firm tone saying no. If he tumbles over then he will learn to stop. If he nips at you, he would get nipped back by another horse, so don't hit his face, but a firm pop on the shoulder will get his attention. What looks cute now, will not look that way later, so treat him like you are the herd leader. I would say his attention span is still way to short for clicker training yet. But something to think about later on.

He is not getting hand fed at this time ( he is just three weeks old)this is not a "food" type of nipping, heck he puts everything in his mouth right now. At this point I am sure he is only playing I have not used any repremand to date other than a harsh NO and pop on the shoulder.Popping only when a couple of NOs do not seem to work. This guy is very bold and not at all the sensitive type. I am actually glad he is a little bratty as I want a little attitide for the show ring. Just a little surprized it is showing up so early.I guess I'd better get busy and halter break him!

We also pop their shoulder, chest, or butt....plus we'll stomp our foot and yell.... NEVER a face pop or smack.

Instead of saying no -- we tend to use the word, "QUIT!" (Loudly)

The reason behind that is, the word "no" is very close to "Ho" and may cause some confusion in the future.

Something I have also notice that gets them to understand the pecking order when they nip , I grip my fingers over their crest and give a pinch with a loud no. I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed the herd members doing this as a "hey there small fry, I am in charge, don't even go there."

They don't bite hard, just a nip if a foal/weanling is getting in their space or getting a bit too sassy. Once you start to read his motions and know whats coming next, even a backing up motion while kicking a foot out behind you will make him understand you are in charge and to respect your space.

This little guy will be just fine since you are addressing it so quickly
yes.gif

I agree with the pinch on the crest as it is what an older (and also larger) horse would do to him. And I also use QUIT and not no as I believe a horse can't tell the difference between No and Whoa. So, yes I say quit a hundred times a day, but they sure get the meaning!

The simple and effetcive way to controll this behaviour is to act like a stallion. Yes put a halter and lead rope on the colt and stand at his side faceing him and scream in a stallion like voice as you thump his sides with your knees. do this very hard. he will likely shake and cower. that is the result you want. The more stallion like you sound the better. Cindy

The simple and effetcive way to controll this behaviour is to act like a stallion. Yes put a halter and lead rope on the colt and stand at his side faceing him and scream in a stallion like voice as you thump his sides with your knees. do this very hard. he will likely shake and cower. that is the result you want. The more stallion like you sound the better. Cindy

This is the worst idea I have every heard

I'm not sure if you realize that the person asking for suggestions is referring to a three week old colt.

If you can time it really well, when "Jaws" approaches you can pop him under the jaw. It doesn't make them head shy as they don't see it coming. Not hard just enough to let him feel it. You just want him to get the idea humans aren't for biting.

Another method we found works really well, is rub both sides of their face vigerously with your hands, if they have their mouth open. We do that while talking to them, they find it unpleasant without being painful.

All my horses - adults on down - know I can make a lead horse scream that will make them all back up. It's helpful.

You've had good advice, definitely stop it now especially the treating you like a horse.

I always tell people new to minis don't let them get away with behaviour you would never allow in a big horse. The little dog/big dog theory....

Latest posts

Back