Time to clip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naira3284

Reaction score
OK, I am in NY, so it is not warm here!
default_laugh.png

My 4 year old is scratching, itching, and rubbing like crazy!

She is in her stall at night and out during the day.

Her butt is bald, her chest is hairless, and she is now starting to rub the top of her neck.

She will soon have no mane in that area.
default_no.gif
And she is known as "monkey butt" at the stable.

She is de-wormed, She gets brushed, (even bought a Furminator just for her)

I put M-T-G on the tail, and mane skin..........

HOW DO YOU MAKE THEM STOP?!?!?
default_new_shocked.gif

Is there a clip I can do that will leave the needed amount of hair on her?

I am just scared that by the time the show season comes, she will have no mane or tail.
default_sad.png

Help?

Maybe she has semga build in between her udders that could be way she is rubbing her butt. You could clip her body and leave her legs, head, neck and keep her blanket on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waaaayyyy too early to clip. It sounds like she's got something going on besides normal shedding. I'm just brushing Royal out (the only one that's shedding like crazy). Are you grooming her? Take a curry comb and really work on her. But I'd check to see if she's got something going on (fungal, lice, etc.). I've never had a horse that was shedding normally, itch and be as uncomfortable as you're describing.

My 4 year old stallion does this RELIGIOUSLY every year and he only does it in certain spots and has done it every year since he was born. He has EXTREMELY thick hair and to be honest I don't blame him. It always starts in January and doesn't stop until I clip him or his new summer coat comes in - then he stops like nothing ever happened. He scratches his butt, down both sides of his neck straight down the middle and in between his chest. I groom him daily and have tried numerous things but nothing works except clipping him. So what do I do?

. . .clip him. . . .or just let "nature take it's course" and let him look like a mangy old dog!
default_laugh.png
I live in SC and down here the temps vary here lately so I have just let him be and haven't clipped him. I figure next month sometime when it warms up I will see how it goes and attempt to clip him to make him atleast a little more comfy.

If your girl is like my guy. . . . . .either clip him or suck it up!
default_wink.png

Make sure she doesn't have lice. Even the best taken care of horses can get it, no fault of their owners.

Lucy

I agree with the lice...I take excellent care of mine and they had it this year. I read that in my area the Swiss Alps , it is normal for the shetlands and Icelandics to have re occuring lice every January even in the cleanist environments...He rubbed out his hair on the back of his legs , and a spot on both side of his neck...and now has stopped completely,even though he is now starting the spring shedding...so the "crazy itch" rubbing is usually a sign of something else . I use a spray from the vet and everything is gone and he has total relief within a few hours. dont forget the brushes. and stall , and blankets..good luck

Latest posts

Back