Time to choose a cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhaven

Reaction score
Well, it's been about 6 months of successfully ground driving Legend. He has a solid whoa, OK stand (gotta work on that), turns well, beautiful slow trot (he trots steadily the entire mile loop by our house and that is his favorite gait.... butter smooth, that is what really turned me on to him when looking). He (and I) love walking in the woods, jumping logs and climbing rocks (halter, not in harness... harness has been dirt road and pavement). He knows there are elk in there some days and calls to them. In other words... adventuresome boy. Just like Dad I guess.

I started looking at carts. I'm not sure what KIND of driving we want to do, but CDE seems like a good fit, I gotta do more research. I love wooden carts WAY more than metal/wire wheel/EZ entry. I'm not small (190, 5'11") and Legend is 34", so not only is weight a strong consideration but frankly I think men can look a bit goofy behind an A mini when they tower over them when seated... I just like the flow of a lower cart, closer to a sulky. And they are light. I want Legend to have a good time, not dread the hills (of which there are MANY in Evergreen CO).

Currently using the basic Ozark harness with breeching, no martingale, sidecheck/ leather check bit, and snaffle (Legend did not care for the mullen recommended by my farrier).

What are your thoughts / experiences / suggestions?

I've never driven on one, but at the top of my wish list is a country road cart from Country Carriages USA. If I had somewhere to store it, I would have it by now
default_smile.png

Countrycarriagesusa.com

Gee that's nice... but at 175 lbs. way too heavy I think. Not to mention over $2K. REALLY nice though!

Silver Penney's road carts are advertised at around 112 lbs. and less expensive, look to be comparable. They still sit high... would a lower seat height be inadvisable? Would a roadster closer to a sulky just be a bad choice?

Mini Express' wooden cart weighs 87 lbs. ... wow. Not wooden wheels but reasonable. Their Meadowbrook is 123 lbs., seems on the heavy side given my concerns. Their economy show card sure looks nice, 75 lbs. though wire wheels. Affordable.

I suppose I am just throwing ideas out there for comment.

You might check out Buggy Bob's website. He has some product on the Little Horse Barn but is apparently willing to work with people to be sure they get what they want and what will work for them. I have no personal experience with them so I can't offer any experienced input but it might be worth you time and trouble. If I had the money and could find one I would be looking for a Pacific Smart Cart. Unfortunately it would have to be a used one since I understand they are no longer in business. Good luck finding just the right cart/wagon for you and your horse.

So, curious... what would the downside of a Hyperbike be? I know it is not recommended for a green horse... But I just have to believe that for the majority of our driving together, Legend would love it. And that, in the end, has to carry the most weight. And I won't look like a big lunk sitting behind a toy horse... LOL

I guess I'd have to revisit this again if I wanted to compete in CDE though. I will have to (obviously) research the regulations.

I love, love, love my Hyperbike! I drive it almost daily, sometimes twice a day. I use it on the marathon portion for CDEs, and use a Bellcrown for dressage/cones. The only drawback of the 'bike for me is that I can't use it in all 3 phases
default_smile.png
(I suppose you technically might be able to- anyone know the answer?) I like my Bellcrown, and it's really a lovely cart, but I only use it when I'm actively competing. I find the Hyperbike more comfortable and much more fun for daily driving.

I have an old sulky that I use for training. I really enjoy tooling in it and feel safer in it than in the cart. Being up close to the horse seems safer to me than sitting up higher and farther away. So the Hyperbike sounds good to me. I'd like to try one sometime. The downside is getting in and out. If the horse won't stand, it could be hazardous if one is not quick and agile.

Also, one cannot take passengers except in a cart.

You are farsighted to think of the weight.

Look at the Fox Lane carts. They are metal construction, EZ entry with steel spoke wheels. Very well made carts, and are adjustable in many ways, shaft height, shaft length, seat. We have 2, bought one last year and liked it so much we bought another one. I've used it in an ADS show and took reserve champion, so it is a good enough cart to show, yet strong enough for all kinds of driving. Made in Ohio. Check them out!

I have an old sulky that I use for training. I really enjoy tooling in it and feel safer in it than in the cart. Being up close to the horse seems safer to me than sitting up higher and farther away. So the Hyperbike sounds good to me. I'd like to try one sometime. The downside is getting in and out. If the horse won't stand, it could be hazardous if one is not quick and agile.

Also, one cannot take passengers except in a cart.

You are farsighted to think of the weight.
It's so hilly here, and Legend is an A size, that I couldn't imagine him pulling 120lbs of cart, 190 lbs (probably 210 with clothing and gear and coat and breakfast...) of me, PLUS a passenger... I've thought of hooking him up to an English harrow I have in the future, but probably only one section of THAT.

I know I mentioned liking wood construction, but I would have to say I'm starting to lean toward the Hyperbike. Just hard to argue with 30 lbs. and a low slung aspect. I'd say the Mini Express economy show cart is in my rankings too but triple the weight.

The Fox Lane carts look quite nice, I was looking at those.

Hmmm, came across this. I know nothing about Estate carts. If I *were* to go with an easy entry style, this would be nice. 98 lbs, awfully light for wood with wooden wheels. Elliptical springs. Attractive price, maybe too attractive?

ee-cde-w-wood.jpg

This is 60 lbs. Nice price. Can't be much suspension?

estate%20jog3.jpg

I had a meadowbrook. It was way too heavy for my guy on hills rather inflexible and I regretted buying it and sold it. It also had a rather high swing tree and even installed upside down wasn't low enough for where I wanted the swing tree to be for pulling ease. I don't regret not having the meadowbrook however it was cute as the dickens.

I have a aerocrown I saved and saved for, but there is an upper weight limit recommendation for the driver you would want to check on before you decided on the aerocrown, the bellcrown might better suit your wishes for an all around cart for all phases, the springs on both the aerocrown and bellcrown have a nice ride not to mention the strength of the wheels.

For tough terrain you might not want the bicycle style tires, they can fold and are not recommended for heavy turning and CDE work even with no flat inserts.

For a bit my boy enjoys a straight bit with copper mouth piece and very low port and he hated any snaffle I tried. Bits differ from horse to horse and I admit to trying a few before I found the right bit. Be sure you have a current dental on your horse. Very important.

On that top cart you posted, the swing tree is still a bit high for what my trainer recommended for cross country and hills.. but it is a very nice cart.

I am a hyperbike fan even though I don't have one due to my limited flexiblity and my boys training issues at the time I went with the aerocrown rather than the hyperbike but I still admire them greatly and Bob Carriage works is awesome to work with. I still look at his web site and oogle the photos of folks enjoying their hyperbikes.

Ps on that second cart, it is very pretty, I know you are not supposed to use the back rest per say, but I enjoy a nice supportive back rest which is why I have the aerocrown with the high back seat. On your second cart photo, I would probably roll right off the back going up a steep hill. I would use that second cart for ring work and not cross country.

best wishes and happy driving

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Legend had a recent bit float. It was quite amusing watching him go from perky to barely standing in 10 seconds after the sedative... he did really well and came right out of it. We have a great vet not far away, and from what I see around the board that is a blessing indeed.

So... your comment about the back rest... would that have a bearing on the hyperbike then?

Sounds like I should not write off the wooden EZ entry from Estate I posted. Nice looking rig and not terribly heavy for wood construction, or any construction.

I actually have the wooden easy entry cart that is in the picture. It is not to heavy, but much more heavy then the show carts. I used to use it for trail pleasure drives and found it very uncomfortable, felt like my brain was rattling out of my head on the trails lol! I am also not a fan of the metal easy entry carts. The Jerald, Graber and Houghton show carts ride the best! I even use mine on trails. The ride is smooth and the horses love pulling them because they are so light weight. I figure if it is comfortable for me it is probably much more comfortable for them too. They are also balanced really nice. The only draw back for trails is no back rest. Would a Graber open wheeled show cart also work for cde?

PS. The horse in your profile picture is gorgeous!

PS. The horse in your profile picture is gorgeous!
Thanks for the kind words... that is Legend. He is a pretty boy with a short back and great butter smooth trot.

And at the moment, has pinto pajamas (wooly sheep suit)... ;)

He came to us from Indian Peaks Miniatures in the Colorado front range, they did well with him in halter in 2011 but needed to thin their herd. Won a few championships. He is a Rowdy boy. I hardly deserve him.

He is a sweet boy to boot. Unlikely we will ever breed him but given his strengths and bloodline I just can't bring myself to geld him just yet. I find little behavioral reason to.

Legend-Worlds-2011-2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hyperbike back rest I am told is fantastic. I am old and not flexible and an easy entry vehicle was a must. My aerocrown goes over tractor waffle treads like it is floating. Fantastic suspension.
Everybody that gets a hyperbike, loves the hyperbike. My instructor knowing me and my boy thought it wasn't the vehicle for me or my boy, but if I still can dream about it. It looks like the ride of your life to me.

My aerocrown was a decent second choice but the price makes me feel guilty because I don't drive enough to justify the pricetag.

the wooden cart pictured is a nice cart and would probably be one of my choices if I were cart shopping. The cool thing is that a decent built cart holds its value and there is nothing wrong with re evaluating and selling a cart and moving on to something better suited as you gain experience. My meadowbrook was just that cart.. cute and great for a first cart but as I got lessons I was ready to move on. Now as I drive less and less.. I think about that meadowbrook and less expensive carts that would do the job but not sit there making me cringe on what I spent.
On the money though... the balance and ride of the aerocrown and how sturdy it is and how the wheels turn without any noise and how it corners and rides balanced and steady over all terrain.. well then it just begins to be well worth the money.

Lots to consider when choosing carts.

Your boy is gorgeous by the way. Reminds me of a biggie horse I once owned. Same color and neck but full sized. best wishes.

Hyperbike back rest I am told is fantastic. ..

Your boy is gorgeous by the way. Reminds me of a biggie horse I once owned. Same color and neck but full sized. best wishes.
So far I am hearing NOTHING to dissuade me from the hyperbike...

Thanks again for the kind words. I sometimes daydream about Legend as a full size horse... Ooooo that trot. You could go for miles and not rearrange your kidneys... ;-) and he LOVES LOVES jaunts through the woods, jumping logs and rocks, checking out the sounds and sights... would make a great trail horse in another life.

Holy smokes... I just did a YouTube search on Hyperbikes and minis. There is a TINY little mini doing barrel racing. I compared that to barrel racing videos of bigger horses and EZ Entry carts... no comparison. Little Bill the - what, 28" mini? - SMOKES 'em.

OK, OK, I get the 'barrel racing is for girls' thing, but I am pretty secure in my manhood.. and I am an old dirt bike rider. THAT looks FUN! But with such an advantage, Hyperbikes surely are not legal?

Talk to Bob about the Hyperbike. he is awesome and he is honest and will talk to you about anything you want to know. You will not be sorry you chatted directly with Bob on anything. He let me be a member of his "hyperbike club" even though i don't have one. Someday if I ever have a driving horse that is steadier than my driving boy I will probably revisit the hyperbike wish because where I live the hyperbike would be a perfect driving vehicle.

My full sized horse that looked like your horse had a long trot a rocking horse canter and he was my cross country and personal challenge trail horse. He was awesome and he could eat up ground and go all day. He was born on the 4th of July in the bicentenniel year and his name was Centennial.

No one here on the east coast has had a problem with me using the Bike on marathon for CDEs/HDTs/scurries, etc. You may need to buy solid wheels, as that's the only thing I've had to do to be CDE-legal when I moved up to Prelim. I always ask permission to use the Bike before events and no one has had a problem with it. You could email organizers of events in your area and see what they think about your using a Hyperbike. Sure, it'll give you an advantage during timed/speed events but hey, if it's legal, go for it!
default_thumbup.gif

If you're considering the Foxlane (which are really nice carts), I saw that they're on sale right now for $1000, which is a great price- just a heads-up.

I have a silver penny wood cart that weighs roughly 100lbs, its nice, extremely comfortable ride and I have used it for all 3 phases, it has held up well with no issues other than its a 1 seater. I also have a moified sulky cart that I have used, however its issue is that its REALLY hard to keep the mandantory apron on as it has no basket yet. It is much more fun than the wood one, its lighter and we go faster, but the goal of CDE's is accuracy not really going fast.... too fast incurs penalties as does too slow. Its still a total blast to hit the water hazard at a canter and have water every where LOL.

Karen

Latest posts

Back