Time for another RED BAG/Placenta Previa Birth Post?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
On Monday, May 28th we'd already had one foal born before dawn. It was about 9 am and Larry and I started feeding everyone when "Charm" turned away from her breakfast, walked off, and flopped down in labor.

She was a maiden, a bit premature, and the minute I saw the bright red coming out of her hindend, I knew we had a Red Bag. (I yelled to Larry -- "RED BAG!")

Thanks to Lil Beginnings and MaryLou I had learned about Red Bag births several years ago -- just in time to experience our very first one. And last Monday, in 17 years of breeding, we had our second one!

With BOTH Red Bags, I was lucky that Larry was home. Because with both, it was Larry who was able to tear the bag with his shear strength. Last Monday's situation -- being a maiden -- meant that things were tight, but with some "stretching" from us, the foal's head popped out. Thank heaven the baby was presented properly!

As soon as I saw the Red showing, I ran for the foaling kit, a sheet, and towels..........So as soon as the foal started coming out, I had a sheet laying ready for everything to land on. Larry had torn the Red Bag even before the foal was fully expelled.

The other thing we had to take care of was the umbilical cord. Because everything came out all at once, we had to break the cord manually, then immediately dip the navel with gentle iodine.

Lastly, because "Charm" was a maiden, her milk hadn't completely come in. So, we fed the foal some Equine Seramune that we had in the fridge. And then Larry stole some colostrum from our other new mom and handfed the new filly for about 12 hours -- every other hour -- until Charm's milk started dropping. (We gave her some Oxytocin to encourage this.)

And as you can see below...........everything has gone well for our little "teeny-weeny" filly.

Would love to hear other people's RED BAG experiences......... I think it would be a great learning topic for others who haven't yet gone through it.

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing..........

MA

CharmFillyMay31.jpg

My only red bag expirence(sp?) was last week but luckily the mare ripped open the bag with her teeth! :aktion033: Today the filly is a week old and I absolutely adore and
default_wub.png
: her. She is going to be one of the horses on my list to show next year
default_smile.png

In 14 years we have had several. None repeats with the same mare. The moment I see them I know we are in jepardy of loosing the foal. I break open the red bag, open the amnionic sac and get that baby out PRONTO. Lack of oxigen is the biggest problem.

One foal was dead on arrival, but with cpr we were able to revive him. His name ...Pacific Justin Time !

I count my blessings every foaling season when we get a live one out. And am sincerely greatful for our cameras and Breeder Alert. They have saved countless foals.

At least 50 % of our foals are born during the daytime.

Lost my foal this year from a red bag...the mare was a maiden, about a month before due. Had no bag to speak of, tail was not soft so I had no reason to put her under the camera. Came out in the morning to do chores and found him lying there on top of the placenta - so I know that's what happened.

And the worst part???? It was my East Acres Golden Jubilee daughter...bred to TOP CAT (sire of BTU) !! And the icing on the crap-cake was the fact that he was a gorgeous buckskin with BLACK BLACK points and a blaze.

But....that's all part of this business. Stuff happens. You gotta shake it off and keep on a truckin'.

so sorry jean. its so hard to lose them after waiting so long

we had our first red bag last year. as soon as i saw it i ripped the red bag open and then the bag of waters. codys tongue was hanging out and blue. I cleared his mouth and gave him mouth to mouth and then we got him out asap.

scary for sure!

I have only had one red bag delivery. I keep a sharp in my foaling kit just in case, but I was able to tear the red bag open. foal was presented ok, only had to reposition one hoof a bit and them pulled to get the baby out asap. The foal had a few "fainting spells the first hour, but stopped after I gave some molasses on my fingers, I figured she dropped her blood sugar with the stressful delivery.

Something I want to add:

Several years ago there was an article in the now sadly no more MHV magazine. It was about milk testing strips, but there was a mention that in MANY cases that the strips say the mare was READY to foal, but did not do it when expected, and held onto that foal, in many saces the foaling was a RED bag.

This was my case, the test strips said READY and she held the foal 5 days. Just like the article said. I love my test strips, they have always been right for me. Of course I watch everything, not just depending on the strips.

Robin

I've had several red bags over the last few years, and they're scary! The most important tool in my foaling kit is a sharpened tongue depressor. I go to the craft store and buy a bag of wooden tongue depressors (wide popsicle sticks), then cut one end off at an angle. Sharp scissors will do it with a bit of effort, or wire cutters. I keep two or three on top of the towels in the foaling kit. At the first sign of labor, I grab one so it's in my hand when I reach the foaling stall.

They've saved many a foal. They are sharp enough to slice right through the placenta, but not so sharp as to endanger the mare or foal. And, you can just drop them in the bedding while you work on quickly delivering the foal, without worrying about injury.

I strongly suggest that everyone keep them handy. If you have a shelf or ledge near your foaling stalls, I'd keep some there, too. 'Cuz you just never know!

Pat

My first red bag was this year, my second delivery ever. Momma was also a maiden mare, not much of a bag to speak of and also a bit early (311 days). Broke the red sack then the other sack, had to tie cord off. Sadly the baby passed at 2 days old...I gave it my all...

Lacy and Angel...

LacyandPatty.jpg

Oh Donna.......What a little Doll Baby!!!!
default_sad.png
I am very sorry.

MA

I'm appreciating some of this information people are posting.......such as the indication of a possible Red Bag with the test strips that RobinR described --- A friend of our's had a Red Bag this year and HER mare tested ready for several days too!

I've had the same experience with milk test strips testing "ready" and the mare not foaling for several more days and then having a red bag-- I just didn't realize that was a sign of a possible red bag, good thing to know!
default_yes.gif
:

I've experienced three red bags so far, one with a friend's mare I was foaling out, and two from mares of my own. It's always a shock to see that red coming out instead of the normal white bubble, and I leap to break the bag. Luckily all of the ones I've experienced have been small foals, positioned correctly, and they were easy to get out after ripping open the red bag, etc. All of ours have been fine, thank goodness!

Back